Paulding.com

Schools may be prohibited from getting early August start

This ought to be a law?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Should the legislature keep schools from starting instruction in early August?

• Yes
    • No

Rep. Dollar Introduces Legislation

ATLANTA — State Representative Matt Dollar (R-Marietta) introduced this week House Bill 1097 – legislation that will prevent schools in Georgia from starting their academic school year before the third full week of August.

“Many families in my district have told me that they have seen their summer vacation time disappear over the last few years,” said Representative Dollar. “My bill not only serves to enhance family togetherness, but will save our school systems substantial money and, also benefit the state’s ailing economy.”

Due to the overwhelming summer heat that tends to peak during the month of August, Georgia schools spend substantial amounts of money keeping buildings cool for students. This typically results in August being the most expensive month for Georgia schools. Also, when high school employees return to school before the third week of August, it forces many Georgia tourist attractions to shut down early, resulting in economic loss for the attractions, their local communities, and the state as a whole.

The passage of House Bill 1097 would only impact Georgia’s public elementary and secondary schools that receive state funding.

HB 1097 has been assigned to the House Committee on Education. A link to the bill can be found by clicking here.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I completely agree with this. Starting the first week of August is absurd. Many kids have summer jobs to help pay their way into college, this prevents them from earning three weeks pay. We always

while I agree in theory with Him. I am not sure why he wants to take the decision out of the local school boards. Guess he knows better huh?

I'm for this legislation. The local school boards obviously don't listen to the teachers or parents.

I completely agree with this. Starting the first week of August is absurd. Many kids have summer jobs to help pay their way into college, this prevents them from earning three weeks pay. We always started the Day after Labor Day and finished the first week in June. We just didn't have a week off in September, November, and February. Elimate those weeks and you have a reasonable school calendar. :)

while I agree in theory with Him. I am not sure why he wants to take the decision out of the local school boards. Guess he knows better huh?

Might have something to do with being involved with the state budget. They have to decide how much to send to the local school districts don't they?huh.gif

Might have something to do with being involved with the state budget. They have to decide how much to send to the local school districts don't they?huh.gif

And a bunch of drunken legislators don't have great decision abilities, do they?

• Like 1

while I agree in theory with Him. I am not sure why he wants to take the decision out of the local school boards.

I have to agree. My personal preference would be for a different approach to the school calendar. I'm not a big fan of these early August starts and all the weeks off.

That said, I am reticent to suggest that such a preference should be written into law. I think it is a risky move to put a law in place that makes it impossible to accommodate circumstances that might make an early-start calendar the very best solution... except that it would be illegal. What circumstances are those? I don't know, but stuff happens. And the same stuff doesn't happen in Savannah that happens in Dallas that happens in Valdosta that happens in Commerce.

I am open to hearing the arguments... but my initial take is... go to your school board meetings and argue your case there instead of in Atlanta.

I refuse to take any legislation from the state of Georgia representatives seriously until they are required to take sobriety test, on a daily basis, three times a day.

Until that point, this is just a big cock fight. (No pun intended).

Edited by conehead

So could this change the school calendar for the upcoming year?

No you're safe. You can still send them off to day care when you have no time for them. At leas for this year.

• Like 1

So could this change the school calendar for the upcoming year?

If it were to pass I would think so. I do agree with conehead and JMT though that it should probably stay with the local BOE. The only grounds for doing it in my mind would be to make a uniform start date for all schools in Georgia. I think he has a point about saving money on utility bills but it should be addressed with the local BOE. That folks is our job.

ATLANTA — State Representative Matt Dollar (R-Marietta) introduced this week House Bill 1097 – legislation that will prevent schools in Georgia from starting their academic school year before the third full week of August.

“Many families in my district have told me that they have seen their summer vacation time disappear over the last few years,” said Representative Dollar. “My bill not only serves to enhance family togetherness, but will save our school systems substantial money and, also benefit the state’s ailing economy.”

Due to the overwhelming summer heat that tends to peak during the month of August, Georgia schools spend substantial amounts of money keeping buildings cool for students. This typically results in August being the most expensive month for Georgia schools. Also, when high school employees return to school before the third week of August, it forces many Georgia tourist attractions to shut down early, resulting in economic loss for the attractions, their local communities, and the state as a whole.

The passage of House Bill 1097 would only impact Georgia’s public elementary and secondary schools that receive state funding.

HB 1097 has been assigned to the House Committee on Education. A link to the bill can be found by clicking here.

Enhance family togetherness? Since when is that the government's job? And, if that's their kick, I have some other suggestions that would accomplish that /sarcasm

This has been a bill/suggestion/issue every year over the last few years, and it's always been defeated, as well it should be. Education should stay as decentralized as possible, with local school systems making decisions that work best for their district.

And, for all the parents on here that hate the new calendar, there are plenty more out there that love it. So, it's not a fair statement to say that the district didn't 'listen'.

Mmm, interesting. I don't care when they start or end just as long they are there. I wouldn't care if they made school all year around. That's just me BUT, I understand where they are coming from. Yes, they would save money if they started later and then business wouldn't have to shut down so early and people out of jobs.

We always started after Labor Day and end the first week of June.

Edited by Lucky64

I don't know if there are all that many parents that love it, I know the teachers do. The three choices were all horrible, it you call that a choice. We were presented with the bad calendars and had to choose the (cough, cough) "best". I hardly call that listening to the parents. ;)

The Represenative points out something that has never made sense to me: When school starts why do they shut down attractions like Six Flags and the Laser Show at Stone Mountain? They don't shut down Disneyworld when school starts.

I completely agree with this. Starting the first week of August is absurd. Many kids have summer jobs to help pay their way into college, this prevents them from earning three weeks pay. We always started the Day after Labor Day and finished the first week in June. We just didn't have a week off in September, November, and February. Elimate those weeks and you have a reasonable school calendar. :)

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

And it helps save money.... :blush:

I mean really, it took someone this long to figure out August is one of the hottest months in Georgia. It costs so much to keep the schools cooler and there is no a/c on the busses. Quite honestly I can't believe it took this long!

Somewhere down the road in the last 20 years or so, some bright group/person thought year round school would be best for kids. This is whqt you get. They aren't going any longer to be smarter--they are just physically stretching the calendar so it looks like they go longer--of course with the numerous breaks. I'm good either way. There are pros and cons to both sides. Just quit calling it year round school--they aren't really getting anymore of an education then they always have. I do personally like the new Sept. break, but only from the standpoint of --if I could afford a vacation---the beaches would be less crowded and cheaper. I don't think they need a whole week of in Nov. and then barely 3 weeks later, having 2 weeks off. Those could be shortened slightly.

As with everything else in this world--you can't please everyone all the time!

I think this makes a lot of common, practical sense as it would save money on energy costs, would give the kids more time to spend on summer jobs, and I truly believe everyone would be better served to have school start after Labor Day. I personally think Winter Break is relatively useless, especially coming so soon after Christmas Break and MLK Day.

I know Matt Dollar really well and I can guarantee you that if he is introducing this legislation, he has done extensive, significant research on the matter to determine that it would work more effectively all the way around!

The Represenative points out something that has never made sense to me: When school starts why do they shut down attractions like Six Flags and the Laser Show at Stone Mountain? They don't shut down Disneyworld when school starts.

Simple economics. The attendance drops well beyond the point that it costs to stay open.

Simple economics. The attendance drops well beyond the point that it costs to stay open.

Of course attendance drops off if they close down! There is no reason they can't hold the Laser Show at Stone Mountain on weekday nights will into September, its warm enough. Toursts are still coming to town in late August, maybe they would like take their kids to Six Flags but they can't because the local kids have gone back to school? It just doesn't make sense.

I think this makes a lot of common, practical sense as it would save money on energy costs, would give the kids more time to spend on summer jobs, and I truly believe everyone would be better served to have school start after Labor Day. I personally think Winter Break is relatively useless, especially coming so soon after Christmas Break and MLK Day.

I know Matt Dollar really well and I can guarantee you that if he is introducing this legislation, he has done extensive, significant research on the matter to determine that it would work more effectively all the way around!

Now that makes sense! I know a lot of families enjoy the week breaks that are no typical peak vacation times. It allows them to take a vacation and not fight the crowds/lines and the peak expense of a trip. But, I still wish they could start school the day after Labor Day and end the year around Memorial Day.

:good:

I couldn't agree more. I grew up in Southern CA and this was how it was for us. Start the day after Labor day. Thurs/Fri/weekend off for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks Christmas, Spring break was the same week of Easter, and we got out the first week of June. Simple.

I think so too. All I've heard was "i'm bored" and "it's too cold to go outside and play" And it's only Tuesday.:blink:

Now that makes sense! I know a lot of families enjoy the week breaks that are no typical peak vacation times. It allows them to take a vacation and not fight the crowds/lines and the peak expense of a trip. But, I still wish they could start school the day after Labor Day and end the year around Memorial Day.

I love it. It gives another week to go on a trip that is not during the holidays or the spring break madness. I hate trying to plan all the trips over the summer. There is nothing better in the cold of February than a cruise to the Caribbean.

What most parents have forgotten is that the school calendars were originally designed around the cycle of planting and harvesting, as our country was based on agriculture. (As our nation became more industrialized, we've moved away from that way of life, relying on other countries imports to handle our demands, and complaining the whole time about our lack of exports.) As a parent, no, I don't like the early August start. Not only do I have a certain amount of vacation days that I can plan, but most of the other parents that I work with are also trying to schedule off days at the same time. If the state and counties are so concerned with cutting costs, then they need to seriously look at ALL aspects of spending, including utilities, etc. Year round school does work. In CA my niece rotated into year round school, and she loved the 9 week on 2 week off schedules. And they did still get a 3-4 week break during the summer months. She even admitted that she retained more of what she was learning. While I am "used to" the late August start and Memorial Weekend end, I just would like them to get a basic uniform calendar and stop changing it each year.

I have reservations about making this a "law". I don't want more government control. :nea:

I think our local school board should use some common sense and do what is the most cost effective. Guess what, those schools still have to be heated this week, can't risk water getting frozen. Most families would love to go to the Caribbean in February but I doubt many can afford it. We only got one vacation a year - usually during the summer - and I actually survived. :shok:

The 3rd week of August start date is fine, no need to wait til after labor day. It is almost as hot the first week couple weeks of June as it is the last week of August. Just cut out the week long breaks and 180 days are easy. ;)

For those of you who think it is a good idea ... what else are you willing to let the state take out of the hands of local government? Remove yourselves from the emotion of the specific issue and look at what this is, what it sets precedent for. Why bother even having a local governing body for anything? Don't like the decisions being made by the current board? Get rid of them as soon as you can ... but don't give up local government for State.

For those of you who think it is a good idea ... what else are you willing to let the state take out of the hands of local government? Remove yourselves from the emotion of the specific issue and look at what this is, what it sets precedent for. Why bother even having a local governing body for anything? Don't like the decisions being made by the current board? Get rid of them as soon as you can ... but don't give up local government for State.

You are right, while I agree with the "concept", I do not want the state telling us what we should do. It sets the stage for more and more control. Yep, it's time to take an inventory on the school board members. ;)