Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
LaurBar

Restless Leg Syndrome

AHHHHHH!!! I am going insane with this. I have had it for years, since I was a teenager, but whenever I hit the third trimester in pregnancy it is just 1000x worse. I want to saw my legs off! I can't cuddle with my husband or watch tv on the couch comfortably...always have to move my legs around.

Anyone else suffer with this and have any relief tips???

I don't know how I'm going to deal with this for another 7 weeks. It's preventing me from getting school stuff done...I can't sit here and focus at all! :wacko:

I first was affected about 12 years ago. For years and years I had no idea what it was. I asked doctors, etc. no one knew what it was and everyone told me I was nuts. Then in 2005 I started seeing commercials for the drug that was supposed to help it. I've never taken the drug, but I know all too well what you're feeling. It's a horrible thing to deal with. All I can do is wish you a speedy end.

I also have it and was prescribed Mirapex but it makes me feel funny and gives me a migrane. I have found that taking a hot bath helps and I also have been taking just plain tylenol which helps.

Good Luck.

Oh and I have also wanted to saw my legs off!

I have problems with this at times also. I don't know if you can take potassium or iron supplements. Maybe bananas for the potassium. Don't take an antihistimine because they sometimes make it worse.

Have your iron level checked. High levels of iron are associated with RLS as well as a host of other problems.

AHHHHHH!!! I am going insane with this. I have had it for years, since I was a teenager, but whenever I hit the third trimester in pregnancy it is just 1000x worse. I want to saw my legs off! I can't cuddle with my husband or watch tv on the couch comfortably...always have to move my legs around.

I don't know how I'm going to deal with this for another 7 weeks. It's preventing me from getting school stuff done...I can't sit here and focus at all! :wacko:

I would discuss it with your doctor and see what you might could take while pregnant.

I too have RLS, as do both my sisters, and my mother -- and my maternal Grandmother did too! I'm fortunate that I do not have as severe of a case as one of my sisters. She takes daily meds for hers. Mine goes through phases of acting up, and then chilling out. Normally it will get really active when I'm tired, over tired, or have done a lot of physical activity. Mine don't jump... mine feel like teen bazillion creatures are jumping, twitching, scurrying all over the inside of my legs. And they'll hurt. I have to move them to make them feel better. Sometimes they'll jump, but not normally.

Here's a tidbit of info. The childhood version of RLS is "growing pains." I had HORRID growing pains as a child... HORRID. So bad that my mom (I was very petite when I was little, tiny, little thing) would fill the basin up in the bathroom with as hot of water as she could get, and I'd sit Indian style in the water with my legs. Just to try to numb them.

I have it but since being on Cymbalta for the fibro I haven't had it once. I was always anemic growing up (hopefully I'm not today cos I'm giving blood!) I remember when I was prego I was having horrible leg cramps, but I'd eat a banana every night and they stopped. :( Sorry I'm no real help, but I do have a saw if needed. :unsure:

People typically describe restless legs syndrome (RLS) symptoms as unpleasant sensations in their calves, thighs, feet or arms, often expressed as:

■Crawling

■Tingling

■Cramping

■Creeping

■Pulling

■Painful

■Electric

■Tense

■Uncomfortable

■Itchy

■Tugging

■Gnawing

■Aching

■Burning

Sometimes the sensations seem to defy description. Affected people usually don't describe the condition as a muscle cramp or numbness. They do, however, consistently describe the desire to move or handle their legs.

These symptoms are NOT the same as one has for muscle spasms in their legs. Generally, if you get relief from potassium or from eating a banana, you don't have RLS but instead have cramps or spasms. I personally don't have RLS but had a friend who did. She said the symptoms were completely different and she had had both. I've been told that the difference between RLS and leg cramps is as different as a headache and a migraine. Anyone who has ever had a migraine knows the difference there.

And Footballbeerchic, it makes sense that you haven't had it since taking Cymbalta. Peripheral neuropathy is often related to RLS. Cymbalta is used to treat peripheral neuropathy.

I love cymbalta, it has worked wonders for me. My RLS felt like pin pricks followed by electric shocks.. not fun! I only had the leg cramps with my first pregnancy not my second.

:)

I love cymbalta, it has worked wonders for me. My RLS felt like pin pricks followed by electric shocks.. not fun! I only had the leg cramps with my first pregnancy not my second.

That's similar to how my sister describes her RLS. She gets shooting/harsh pain directly through the knee joints as well.

Mine, as I shared above, is like 10 million creatures running around, jumping, hopping, twitching underneath the skin of my legs. :wacko: Drives me NUTS when it's really going at it. I will feel my legs twitching/jerking, and have my hubby put his hands on them, and of course they aren't doing what my brain says they are doing. Because, after all, RLS is neurological! Wild to me every time though that he can't feel what I can!!

Several years ago my husband was having strange, off-the-wall muscle pains. The doctor tried him on Cymbalta and it helped. He hasn't had a problem with the pains since even though he stopped the Cymbalta after about two months. The doctor really thought he had fibro but if he did, it got better. I think he was just having a physical manifestation of depression. Whatever he had, the pains stopped.

I have heard and read about how great Cymbalta is. So very glad it works for you. My SIL has fibro (along with CMV and a host of other conditions). I know from talking with her that fibro is not a fun thing to endure.

I have RLS with fibromyalgia and it's a feeling that is hard to describe. I have to move my legs hence the restless part but moving them still doesn't help. I used to take benadryl at night to help me sleep but it made RLS worse to I stopped that. I guess I need to find a new doctor and get on Cymbalta.

To all you folks out there who have *auto-immune* diseases, such as fibro, please-please-please get yourself to a good rheumatologist!

When I was in ATL, I saw simply the best of the best - Dr. Hayes Wilson. I cannot highly recommend he and his wife Kim (who is also a rh doc) more than I already do. Top notch... nationally known. Get to see him or her asap.

http://www.drwilson.org/

My mom has RLS and has had it for years. She take the generic for Requip. It has been a wonder drug for her. As long as she takes it every night before bed she usually does not have a problem with it. They also now have a time released requip that you take 1 per day and it releases meds for a 24 hr period. I hope you get some releif, I have noticed in the last few months that if I eat chocolate or drink alot of caffeine my legs will bother me at night. Good luck.

To all you folks out there who have *auto-immune* diseases, such as fibro, please-please-please get yourself to a good rheumatologist!

When I was in ATL, I saw simply the best of the best - Dr. Hayes Wilson. I cannot highly recommend he and his wife Kim (who is also a rh doc) more than I already do. Top notch... nationally known. Get to see him or her asap.

http://www.drwilson.org/

Thanks. I'll see if they're on my insurance.

I had it for years. I had to literally get out of bed, go downstairs, and run in place at least twice a night. Unfortunately this was before medication. It got much better on it's own after about 8 years, but I still occasionally have to get up and walk.

Thanks. I'll see if they're on my insurance.

Please do!!! They are worth the wait to get into see them, and worth the drive to go into ATL. He is the one who diagnosed me with Sjogren's and helped get me on the road to stability with this disease. :good:

I have had many people get amazing results from an adjustment. Come in for a free consultation.

My husband got it after he had back surgery. The Dr said he probably has nerve damage. He was taking mirafex, but it was no longer covered under his insurance. He now takes the generic of requip, but it doesn't work.......

I have this problem with my 3rd one.......it has been restless for years.

I have had this for years.. and I take Requip works great for me..

and If I miss a dose I know it..

Guess whose legs were twitching, crawling, and jumping last night? Yeah-rah, mine.

I guess having my head cold, and having to take sudafed for it wired me up good. I barely slept last night, and laying there in the bed, my legs felt like they'd been taken over by zillions of creatures, running wildy over them. NOT FUN.

Thanks to everyone that replied...I have been really busy the past 2 days, but I did read them all. :)

I am one of those people who doesn't even like to take aspirin or Tylenol, etc, so the thought of a drug is not appealing to me as of yet, especially since I know it will be a lot better after the baby is born. It seems it just really triples in intensity and frequency when I hit the 3rd tri. Normally, I only have the RLS once or twice a week, maybe. I used to have it much more often, but it has gotten a little better over the years.

I will see about the tonic water...and I eat plenty of bananas, so I doubt that would help since I usually eat one or two per day anyway.

I also noticed that it is worse on days where I don't work out...

I have this problem with my 3rd one.......it has been restless for years.

Gonna send this thread right to the TONK :rofl:

I have helped people with this many times. Come in for a free consultation!!!!!