Paulding.com

Candidates finalized for House Dist. 19 race

So now your moral high horse is that anyone who drinks is a bad person. Gotcha. If that makes you feel better about yourself, have at it. If you will re-read that post you will see that I said the thread was above and then quoted it. :drinks:

By the way Jughaid, the moral high horse that you speak of has nothing to do with you. Each individual sets their own standards for themselves as to what might be right and what might be wrong for themselves personally and as long as it is legal, it has nothing to do with what you think and is not up for you to decide just as it is not up to me to decide.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, I am not the Judge or Jury (or then, I guess I could be part of the Jury as I am a registered voter) - you never know do you?   And no, Whitey is not under any obligation to answer me. Howev

And there are SOME people who bully others with the threat of lawsuits to get them to shut up and not speak. Which is worse?

"Man up" Whitey and just answer our questions - it really is very simple! You keep trying to distract everyone from the issue at hand and it is not working. Just simply answer the questions.    

Ah, stay with me Madea. When Beach Bum says that making untrue statements in a public forum could harm someone's reputation, I just asked if the same idea applied to another politician in another thread. I bet you get the connection. ;)

I didn't notice any calling for restraint in that thread when that other politician's reputation was being questioned. :clapping:

I'd consider only calling him a crook "restraint". rofl.gif And, you qualified by saying the statement must be "untrue".

Mr. Curl, on the other hand, is a very nice, respectable, upstanding citizen.

By the way Jughaid, the moral high horse that you speak of has nothing to do with you. Each individual sets their own standards for themselves as to what might be right and what might be wrong for themselves personally and as long as it is legal, it has nothing to do with what you and is not up for you to decide just as it is not up to me to decide.

That's a good statement. I like that. Good job. :drinks:

I just asked if you thought drinking was somehow wrong. Do you think drinking is wrong? Just your own opinion.

Ah, stay with me Madea. When Beach Bum says that making untrue statements in a public forum could harm someone's reputation, I just asked if the same idea applied to another politician in another thread. I bet you get the connection. ;)

I didn't notice any calling for restraint in that thread when that other politician's reputation was being questioned. :clapping:

Pubby can quote you the case that this is based on as he has quoted it to me on numerous occasions - I see you down there Pubby - tell Jughaid about the case law regarding lawsuits and public officials.

I'd consider only calling him a crook "restraint". rofl.gif And, you qualified by saying the statement must be "untrue".

Now I see. YOUR political views are protected. People you disagree with don't have the same protection. Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that one up. :lol:

Pubby can quote you the case that this is based on as he has quoted it to me on numerous occasions - I see you down there Pubby - tell Jughaid about the case law regarding lawsuits and public officials.

I'm not interested in the lawsuit stuff like you are. I'm just asking that you apply the same standard all the way around. You will be fair won't you? You will apply the same standard won't you? :clapping:

Nope, I don't as long as you do it legally.

Great! Then maybe we can go out for some drinks one night and have a girl's night out! :yahoo:

Now I see. YOUR political views are protected. People you disagree with don't have the same protection. Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that one up. :lol:

Please, feel free to check all of my 20,000 +/- posts. I have not denigrated the reputation of any local, public official. (I don't think any national ones either, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that one :lol: )

I'm not interested in the lawsuit stuff like you are. I'm just asking that you apply the same standard all the way around. You will be fair won't you? You will apply the same standard won't you? :clapping:

I don't think Obama is even remotely a good President and I don't think he comes close to serving the best interests of the majority of the people of the United States - so there, that is my opinion about Obama. But then again, this thread is not about Obama - start your own thread.

The issue at hand is the House District seat that is currently up for grabs and the unanswered questions within the thread which relate to the thread.

Please, feel free to check all of my 20,000 +/- posts. I have not denigrated the reputation of any local, public official. (I don't think any national ones either, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that one :lol: )

Awwww. I didn't say you denigrated teh reputation of a politician. I said you didn't apply the same standard to YOUR political views that you applied to others' views. I bet you get the connection. :pardon:

Would you want to have drinks with Beach Bum and me one night? Bring along some more and we'll have a Big Time. :drinks:

Awwww. I didn't say you denigrated teh reputation of a politician. I said you didn't apply the same standard to YOUR political views that you applied to others' views. I bet you get the connection. :pardon:

Would you want to have drinks with Beach Bum and me one night? Bring along some more and we'll have a Big Time. :drinks:

Not a snowball's chance in he!!. I would welcome your company any day though Madea!

I don't think Obama is even remotely a good President and I don't think he comes close to serving the best interests of the majority of the people of the United States - so there, that is my opinion about Obama. But then again, this thread is not about Obama - start your own thread.

The issue at hand is the House District seat that is currently up for grabs and the unanswered questions within the thread which relate to the thread.

That's your "opinion" about Obama. :yahoo:

So when a thread that doesn't start out about Obama turns into an anti-Obama thread, that's when I need to say "start your own thread." Ooooo. Thanks for that one. :clapping:

Can I ask you what "right around the corner" means? I mean, if you said that something was coming 'right around the corner' what sort of time frame are you talking about? Let's say a new bill coming out of Congress. Or a new economic plan "right around the corner" was coming. What kind of time frame would you, hypothetically speaking, think that to be?

Actually, this is what started the entire (now off topic) discussion. An attack on a politician's reputation and character. Yes, I am holding both Whitey and I to the same standard. He made an unwarranted attack on Mr. Curl. I stated I've not done that.

• Like 1

Not a snowball's chance in he!!. I would welcome your company any day though Madea!

I extend an olive branch and you slap it down. I see. Sorry for trying to be nice. :unsure:

Actually, this is what started the entire (now off topic) discussion. An attack on a politician's reputation and character. Yes, I am holding both Whitey and I to the same standard. He made an unwarranted attack on Mr. Curl. I stated I've not done that.

So now we can all expect you to do the same and stand up for those same attacks on other politicians, like Obama, for instance. :yahoo:

That's your "opinion" about Obama. :yahoo:

So when a thread that doesn't start out about Obama turns into an anti-Obama thread, that's when I need to say "start your own thread." Ooooo. Thanks for that one. :clapping:

Can I ask you what "right around the corner" means? I mean, if you said that something was coming 'right around the corner' what sort of time frame are you talking about? Let's say a new bill coming out of Congress. Or a new economic plan "right around the corner" was coming. What kind of time frame would you, hypothetically speaking, think that to be?

If you abide by the rules of this site then yes, I say you should start your own thread. The moderators of this site constantly make posts in threads all the time advising posters to "keep on topic". I didn't make the rules Jughaid - you will have to talk to Pubby about that.

What does the "right around the corner" analogy have to do with anything? :rolleyes:

I extend an olive branch and you slap it down. I see. Sorry for trying to be nice. :unsure:

So now we can all expect you to do the same and stand up for those same attacks on other politicians, like Obama, for instance. :yahoo:

I think we can all agree that there is a "world of difference" between a member of the Paulding County, Georgia School District and the President of the United States.

• Like 1

Curb your excitement. I don't have all day to spend in the political forum defending Obama. That'd be a full-time job and, well, I just don't like him enough to commit to that.

If you abide by the rules of this site then yes, I say you should start your own thread. The moderators of this site constantly make posts in threads all the time advising posters to "keep on topic". I didn't make the rules Jughaid - you will have to talk to Pubby about that.

What does the "right around the corner" analogy have to do with anything? :rolleyes:

I'm just asking what it means to you. If you said that there was something going to happen economically that was "right around the corner" what kind of time frame would you be thinking? 3 months? 6 months? A year? Just asking.

I do wish you would consider drinks one night. Mr Jughaid has a Guys' Night Out every few months and I've not had one since we moved here. Just consider it. :drinks:

I think we can all agree that there is a "world of difference" between a member of the Paulding County, Georgia School District and the President of the United States.

I think we can all agree that the same free speech protections about the politician in the white house is the same speech protections about the local politicians too. Right? :D

Somehow I get the feeling you hold hard feelings toward me. I sure hope that is not the case. It is just good fun and political discussion. 8) B)

I think we can all agree that the same free speech protections about the politician in the white house is the same speech protections about the local politicians too. Right? :D

I think it's irrelevant in the context of a local message board. We've discussed a local school board member and a local house seat. With local folks you have his children going to school with your children, folks meeting up at civic events, etc. I think it's completely irresponsible to attack that person's character. That's the discussion at hand. Since we'll never get back to actually discussing the folks who are running for the 19th district in this thread anyway.

I think it's irrelevant in the context of a local message board. We've discussed a local school board member and a local house seat. With local folks you have his children going to school with your children, folks meeting up at civic events, etc. I think it's completely irresponsible to attack that person's character. That's the discussion at hand. Since we'll never get back to actually discussing the folks who are running for the 19th district in this thread anyway.

I think the law would disagree with you. Don't you think so? Political talk is protected whether it is a national or local politician. Last I heard the law applied everywhere, right? :pardon:

Don't you think the Obama kids can read what is said about their dad? Don't you think they can turn on Fox News and see what people are saying about him? :blink:

Edited by Jughaid
  • Like 1

BB:

Yes, I'm down here and it is a long thread and I had laboriously read through to see that it is a pissing match between jughaid and you ... which notably is not at all on the topic of the candidates to fill the vacancy of Dist. 19.

First off, the comment of Whitey is protected speech that says that basically there would have to specific malice on the part of the writer for it to rise to the level of actionable defamation. And yes, I've quoted the landmark case several times. It is Sullivan v. NYTimes (1964) and it applies to all sorts of public figures. By definition an elected official is a public person.

To include something in this post that is ON TOPIC, I will say that I ran into Jerry Shearin this evening and he said that he heard that Daniel Stout had collected $30,000 in campaign funds from his friends in the banking industry. Regardless, he seemed to think a lot of Ronnie Sibley who has run a few good races losing by small percentages. He was curious as to the identity of Jody Cash but said he didn't know him even though both of them were educated in Alabama.

Jerry thought the big issue in this race is who can best protect the county's interest in the wake of the 2010 census. He suggested that powers in the general assembly will like seek to slice and dice Paulding in such a way as to limit our collective influence in the General Assembly.

I thought that an interesting take.

pubby

PS: BB, if ... and it is a big IF ... there is a defamatory post it would be stupid to set it visible again wthout serious thought because if it is defamatory, I could incur liability vicariously because of my action to republish it. Hence, the next time you ask for a post to be set visible, my answer will be it won't be set visible on your request because I'm not stupid.

To include something in this post that is ON TOPIC, I will say that I ran into Jerry Shearin this evening and he said that he heard that Daniel Stout had collected $30,000 in campaign funds from his friends in the banking industry. Regardless, he seemed to think a lot of Ronnie Sibley who has run a few good races losing by small percentages. He was curious as to the identity of Jody Cash but said he didn't know him even though both of them were educated in Alabama.

ohmy.gif

Pubby shows up and we all run. Kinda like my last family reunion when the cops showed up. :yahoo: :drinks:

Nope - still here. If you will note, my last post and Pubby's were both at the very same time so if you are insinuating I am leaving because of Pubby, you are very wrong.

Nope - still here. If you will note, my last post and Pubby's were both at the very same time so if you are insinuating I am leaving because of Pubby, you are very wrong.

I wasn't insinuating anything. Pubby posted and then you posted that you were signing off because it was past your bed time. You are ASSuming a whole lot there. Guess that humor remark about my fam reunion just didn't sink in. ;)

Edited by Jughaid

Somehow I get the feeling you hold hard feelings toward me. I sure hope that is not the case. It is just good fun and political discussion. 8) B)

This from the person that said that I "irked" them in another thread. rofl.gif

Nobody says "g-night" to me? Hmph. And I stayed up to play, too. :(

Good night J'haid. (Even though I simply responded to BB's generic good night.)

BB:

Yes, I'm down here and it is a long thread and I had laboriously read through to see that it is a pissing match between jughaid and you ... which notably is not at all on the topic of the candidates to fill the vacancy of Dist. 19.

First off, the comment of Whitey is protected speech that says that basically there would have to specific malice on the part of the writer for it to rise to the level of actionable defamation. And yes, I've quoted the landmark case several times. It is Sullivan v. NYTimes (1964) and it applies to all sorts of public figures. By definition an elected official is a public person.

Jerry thought the big issue in this race is who can best protect the county's interest in the wake of the 2010 census. He suggested that powers in the general assembly will like seek to slice and dice Paulding in such a way as to limit our collective influence in the General Assembly.

pubby

PS: BB, if ... and it is a big IF ... there is a defamatory post it would be stupid to set it visible again wthout serious thought because if it is defamatory, I could incur liability vicariously because of my action to republish it. Hence, the next time you ask for a post to be set visible, my answer will be it won't be set visible on your request because I'm not stupid.

Not saying this is the case BUT this does not mean however that a lawsuit can't be filed though Pubby and that it would not have to be defended. You and I can play lawyer all day long Pubby but in the end, it is really not up to either one of us.

Hey and I thought Jody Cash was a Georgia Bulldogs fan.....how disappointing! :lol: I truly am not even close to being at the point where I can choose the candidate I will be voting for - that will take lots of time and research that I intend to expend.

Psssssssssst Pubby - I never ask you to set any post visible or invisible in this thread.

This from the person that said that I "irked" them in another thread. rofl.gif

Good night J'haid. (Even though I simply responded to BB's generic good night.)

That's the spirit! Good night to you, Madea! You totally piss me off with your bullcheeze you post on here but we can still be friends. Sleep tight! :yahoo: :drinks:

So Jerry isnt too fond of Daniel Stout...Maybe I have found me a candidate after all!!! :rofl: :lol:

BB:

pubby

Wow. Left this forum last night to go see The Book of Eli and things really went wacko.

By the way, That was a great movie.

Anyway, the whole point about the President is/was that just like the Mr. Curl, a public servants tenure in office should be judged on all his actions not just one act. I do not defend either person but I do endeaver to understand them and judge them based on all of their entire time in office.

Now, I have heard nothing about any of the candidates runnig for the special election but there is a good chance that more people will qualify and run in the fall. I think you have to consider saving your time and money and not getting involved in the special election just to have to run again in three weeks.

BB:

pubby

Folks can say what they wish about the way Jerry handled the job they gave him in Paulding County. It is certainly their right. I think it would be a huge mistake to discount his take on an issue like the one above. Our voice as a County does not need to be weakened in Georgia.

Jughaid made a comment to BB that I found so reprehensible that I won't repeat it. It was not only offensive to BB but in my opinion it was offensive to women in general. It seems that in some folks minds if women disagree with them politically then it has to relate to sex. Shame on you Jughaid. You lost credibility when you did that.

Folks can say what they wish about the way Jerry handled the job they gave him in Paulding County. It is certainly their right. I think it would be a huge mistake to discount his take on an issue like the one above. Our voice as a County does not need to be weakened in Georgia.

Jughaid made a comment to BB that I found so reprehensible that I won't repeat it. It was not only offensive to BB but in my opinion it was offensive to women in general. It seems that in some folks minds if women disagree with them politically then it has to relate to sex. Shame on you Jughaid. You lost credibility when you did that.

NewsJunky

Our voice as a County has already been weakened by the antics of our elected officials,I only need to point to the reason for this special election as validation.

What I really find ironic in Pubby's post is this statement....

To include something in this post that is ON TOPIC, I will say that I ran into Jerry Shearin this evening and he said that he heard that Daniel Stout had collected $30,000 in campaign funds from his friends in the banking industry.Since this was hearsay I did take the opportunity to look at all of the campaign disclosures of all of the candidates, And found nothing

http://www.ethics.georgia.gov/Reports/Campaign/Campaign_ByName.aspx

I also am aware of Mr Shearin's campaign disclosures where he did in fact accept campaign donations from certain individuals who did in fact perform work for the county,Furthermore Mr Shearin accepted campaign donations from out of County And The State of Georgia.

Unless things have changed he is also connected to the banking industry.

I urge all voters to avail themselves of the above link as part of their decision making process before deciding whom to support and vote for.

I have seen nothing in any of the candidates comments that addresses the number one problem facing Georgia... JOBS

So Whitey - when are you going to answer my question? You posted that Kim Curl had once quit the school board when he didn't get his way. I know for a fact that this is not true.

To be credible Whitey, when you are making accusations such as this on a public message forum, you should "own up" to what you have posted and be able to prove it. The only thing you have succeeded in doing is changing the subject.

NewsJunky

Our voice as a County has already been weakened by the antics of our elected officials,I only need to point to the reason for this special election as validation.

What I really find ironic in Pubby's post is this statement....

To include something in this post that is ON TOPIC, I will say that I ran into Jerry Shearin this evening and he said that he heard that Daniel Stout had collected $30,000 in campaign funds from his friends in the banking industry.Since this was hearsay I did take the opportunity to look at all of the campaign disclosures of all of the candidates, And found nothing

http://www.ethics.ge...ign_ByName.aspx

I also am aware of Mr Shearin's campaign disclosures where he did in fact accept campaign donations from certain individuals who did in fact perform work for the county,Furthermore Mr Shearin accepted campaign donations from out of County And The State of Georgia.

Unless things have changed he is also connected to the banking industry.

I urge all voters to avail themselves of the above link as part of their decision making process before deciding whom to support and vote for.

I have seen nothing in any of the candidates comments that addresses the number one problem facing Georgia... JOBS

I really did not mean to open the last election up for debate again. I just said I would not discount the former Chair's opinion in this matter. I have no clue who he may or may not support but I did pay attention to his opinion about the importance of picking the right person for this seat. I found that I get to vote in this special election. I will be very careful about my choice. I believe the Republicans are trying to address the issue of jobs with the Jobs Act of 2010, which has just been introduced.

The man we send to the House will most likely have a voice in this.