Paulding.com

Local teacher arrested for child molestation - sexual battery

First of all, the teacher is a mother herself of 2 beautiful children. Second of all there was a specific reason why the boys were down there. My mother would have never put them in harms way! In fact, the situation was to keep them out of harms way, and look what happened. No matter what you people think, the truth will come out and God's on our side!

I said alledgedly... I am so sorry for your friend. I hope that everything gets straightened out.

• Like 3
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

o are the damn vultures that you speak of  Who are the vultures that you speak of? Nothing you said makes any sense

The only criteria for any arrest is probable cause ("a reasonable amount of suspicion, supported by circumstances sufficiently strong to justify a prudent and cautious person's belief that certain fac

I would love for LE to step in here and tell us what the required criteria is for charges like these...

The only criteria for any arrest is probable cause ("a reasonable amount of suspicion, supported by circumstances sufficiently strong to justify a prudent and cautious person's belief that certain facts are probably true").

Law enforcement does not decide if charges are filed. They complete an investigation and take the findings in front of a Magistrate judge who decides if probable cause exists and each element of the crime is addressed. If they find sufficient evidence exists then they will sign a warrant calling for the formal arrest of the suspect. The case is then reviewed by the DA who presents it to the grand jury. The citizens review the case and if they agree probable cause exists they will indite the person and send the case to trial.

Edited by Ugadawgs98
  • Like 2

The only criteria for any arrest is probable cause ("a reasonable amount of suspicion, supported by circumstances sufficiently strong to justify a prudent and cautious person's belief that certain facts are probably true").

Law enforcement does not decide if charges are filed. They complete an investigation and take the findings in front of a Magistrate judge who decides if probable cause exists and each element of the crime is addressed. If they find sufficient evidence exists then they will sign a warrant calling for the formal arrest of the suspect. The case is then reviewed by the DA who presents it to the grand jury. The citizens review the case and if they agree probable cause exists they will indite the person and send the case to trial.

Thank you...

Innocent until proven guilty. That is how our system is suppose to work. My hope is that justice and truth will prevail.

In spite of that, a lot of lives will be in turmoil over a case like this. And even more folks affected somehow by it.

And, as already said, the family member of the alleged victim --- you're doing a disservice by being on this board and saying anything at all.

• Like 1

Innocent until proven guilty. That is how our system is suppose to work. My hope is that justice and truth will prevail.

In spite of that, a lot of lives will be in turmoil over a case like this. And even more folks affected somehow by it.

And, as already said, the family member of the alleged victim --- you're doing a disservice by being on this board and saying anything at all.

Are you saying that the police take every case reported before a magistrate judge? My understanding and experience is that the police only take the cases before a magistrate judge that they feel they have enough evidence to press charges against a person.... there are many complaints that never make it in front of a magistrate judge...

The sad part would be for the accused to be innocent, her teaching career ruined, regardless if she is cleared of all the charges. I bet she'd have a hard time finding other employment as well. All it takes is the accusation of one child to ruin a career but if the teacher is guilty, she should be prosecuted. It's a sad situation all around.

The sad part would be for the accused to be innocent, her teaching career ruined, regardless if she is cleared of all the charges. I bet she'd have a hard time finding other employment as well. All it takes is the accusation of one child to ruin a career but if the teacher is guilty, she should be prosecuted. It's a sad situation all around.

well said...

This probably happens more than we know.

When I was in middle school (a century ago) there were two female teachers who would have the boys over to their house for fun and games.

No, I didn't.

Sad, but true.

I pretty much feel like these cases shouldn't be front and center in the public eye because of that very fact. Doesn't seem fair.

• Like 1

Are you saying that the police take every case reported before a magistrate judge? My understanding and experience is that the police only take the cases before a magistrate judge that they feel they have enough evidence to press charges against a person.... there are many complaints that never make it in front of a magistrate judge...

Nope....when an officer feels they have sufficient proof to show a crime was committed is when a case is submitted to the courts for a decision by a judge. You are correct....many cases never make it to a judge, especially those which lack evidence .

Hopefully this is just a big misunderstanding blown out of porportion, just like the situation

with the Hiram High School teacher was. FYI - he WAS NOT convicted of anything....just providing

alcohol to a minor.

Are you kidding me? JUST providing a minor with alcohol? Do you think this is O.K.? What if the child got behind the wheel and accidentally struck your child while trying to drive home? Would it be O.K. then.? There is no JUST or ALCOHOL or FONDLING Get real!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Sad, but true.

I pretty much feel like these cases shouldn't be front and center in the public eye because of that very fact. Doesn't seem fair.

I disagree, keeping cases like this private can lead to other victims. Which to me, "doesn't seem fair."

Rodie:

The reason that was stated is that if it were a teacher-student liaison then the issue of a person in a position of power over another - like a jail guard and an inmate - comes into play. That kind of situation actually would escalate the crime from the misdemeanor child molestation to felony status.

Because this alleged incident was not connected to school and her formal societal role as a teacher, it was the less misdemeanor charge. Said differently, the charges are styled as if she were just a neighbor and the fact that she was a teacher had no bearing on the nature of the charges filed.

The relevance of her being a teacher referred to the legal relevance.

pubby

I see.

Are you kidding me? JUST providing a minor with alcohol? Do you think this is O.K.? What if the child got behind the wheel and accidentally struck your child while trying to drive home? Would it be O.K. then.? There is no JUST or ALCOHOL or FONDLING Get real!!!!!!!!

No doubt...."just providing alcohol to a minor". That is exactly the judgment and conduct I want from someone entrusted with children. :wacko:

No doubt...."just providing alcohol to a minor". That is exactly the judgment and conduct I want from someone entrusted with children. :wacko:

Okay....you have taken this the wrong way. I did not use the word "just" as a way to dismiss the teachers actions; however, if you remember this particular case the teacher of Hiram High was accused of the samething, possibly was faced with 10+ years in prision ,embarassed his wife and children and lost his job. Then all charges were

dropped and "charged with providing the alcohol to a minor" who was 17.

My point is that once something like this happens, IT IS BLOWED WAY OUT OF PROPORTION in the media and then the damage has been done.

Tink-er-bell and UGAdawgs98....

Okay....you have taken this the wrong way. I did not use the word "just" as a way to dismiss the teachers actions; however, if you remember this particular case the teacher of Hiram High was accused of the samething, possibly was faced with 10+ years in prision ,embarassed his wife and children and lost his job. Then all charges were

My point is that once something like this happens, IT IS BLOWED WAY OUT OF PROPORTION in the media and then the damage has been done.

Tink-r-bell and UGADAWS98

• Like 1

That is why our legal system is so complex. Charges can be dropped for numerous reasons; many of which are not because the DA believes the accused is innocent or wrongly accused. However, we may never have a trial to find out. One thing the providing alcohol to a minor charge shows is he showed extremely bad judgement around minors...does that make you think the other stuff is true...for me it does.

Edited by Ugadawgs98
  • Like 1

That is why our legal system is so complex. Charges can be dropped for numerous reasons; many of which are not because the DA believes the accused is innocent or wrongly accused. However, we may never have a trial to find out. One thing the providing alcohol to a minor charge shows is he showed extremely bad judgement around minors...does that make you think the other stuff is true...for me it does.

I agree it was poor judgement, but my biggest issue with anything like this is that is becomes a HUGE media issue by being blasted all over the news, internet, newspaper, etc. as "Breaking News". They even have a website that shows all teachers convicted, not convicted or charges dropped that has their pic, etc on it. I'm sorry , but that's not right either.

http://badbadteacher.com

I agree it was poor judgement, but my biggest issue with anything like this is that is becomes a HUGE media issue by being blasted all over the news, internet, newspaper, etc. as "Breaking News". They even have a website that shows all teachers convicted, not convicted or charges dropped that has their pic, etc on it. I'm sorry , but that's not right either.

http://badbadteacher.com

Back in the dark ages - the '80s and early '90s - I can recall multiple stories where a teacher was hired by a local school system only to find out that two years, five years or ten years earlier they were convicted of child molestation or some other crime of moral turpitude.

Of course the local school board looked like dopes and the circumstance often came up only after another attempt to victimize a child.

Righting that wrong and stopping the serial child molesters are what is behind the entire child molestation reporting regimen.

In once sense, you have to take the good with the bad.

pubby

I don't know about these particular cases, but many (WAY TOO MANY) times, people are allowed to plea bargain down from a very serious crime to a minor crime to prevent being listed on the sex offender listings and to keep the victim from having to testify in open court. They may not be innocent of the initial charges, it is just more cost effective and less stressful to plea bargain. I think it should show if it is a plea bargain agreement and what the original charges are in those cases.