Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
NewsJunky

3 Trapped In Frozen Pond

It is amazing to me how a thread about 3 children's misfortunes on the ice took a political spin. Surely there was a better example to use than Boortz...

Am I the only one who thought pubby was channeling The Postman? :pardon:

Am I the only one who thought pubby was channeling The Postman? :pardon:

No not the only one and no suprise either right?

My heart goes out to the parents of these children.

I have many memories of doing things as a child and teen that could have ended tragically.

Lack of judgment that comes from youthful inexperience.

It has very little to do with intelligence but personality traits, willingness to take risk, enthusiasm, and a hardcore belief that angels are sitting upon one's shoulder as my mom would say.

The fact is we all die, we make room for others to inhabit the earth.

The powers that be do not base it one intelligence, when it is your time, it is your time.

Death is a sad thing for those of us left behind, but alas it comes to all.

It will come to all the posters in this thread, some gently, some painfully, some tragically.

Do not waste anymore of your time in anger or negativity, let nobody waste your moments.

I bet those kids were having the time of their lives until they fell through the ice, that is what happens you risk more to get more and sometimes it just does not work out.

Ah! but to have that second in time back to make one decision just a little differently for with the judgment I now have.

ME TOO!! Sometimes when I think over some of the really, really stupid things we did as kids that could have ended tragically, it scares me to death. And, I have always prayed my children would not be so daring - or stupid!!!!

My prayers are with all the families involved and I pray the young man who survived does survive - both physically and emotionally. SOOOO SAD and a difficult lesson to have to learn so young.

Or funneling. I couldn't understand a word he was saying. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My point exactly

Lppt did. I guess if you work with him everyday he is easier to understand... :mellow:

But by the grace of God there go I.

I almost posted the same words earlier. I can remember being that age and doing some things that could have gotten me hurt or killed. I thought of my Grandson right away when I read this story because he is around the same age. I read somewhere that there are more boys born than girls every year but more girls survive to adulthood. The theory was (is) that boys take more risks and fewer of them live to be adults. I just thought of these boys as kids having fun and taking a little risk. Sad.sad.gif

He speaks a special language that you can not interpret, but you will before you leave this earth my friend.

Sorry to be so cryptic but, we all have dues to pay and it is just a matter of time before they are paid.

The human condition is what motivates us all, and if you listen you will discover the condition that motivates us all.

I giggle because we all need the help of others at some time or another.

Nobody admits to the belief that the help will be there but take it away, in your own heart the help that you are getting, and live it in your mind before it is a reality and you will finally understand.

Many need to discover the difference between abusers and those in need.

There is not a person that does not benefit or believe they will benefit from the collective pooling of resources that is our gov.

Is it out of whack? yes because of polarization.

Because we all have different needs.

I was a republican for many years and still embrace the conservative basics, but they or any party will no longer receive my support or endorsement.

You will not find anyone that supports business any more than Pubby not with his mouth but with his efforts, hard work, and time.

So how does that fit in with your opinion that is all about big brother, he can not be painted with your brush no matter how hard you try, his actions speak louder than words.

The continued success in this community through his efforts are unsurpassed on a national basis.

Disagree with his political views if you want, but do not disrespect him, he is successful and intelligent.

As are many that disagree with your viewpoint, it is a very big world and this is a very small pond.

• Like 1

Jeez -- talking about three kids who make thoughtless decisions, two pay the price, parents are sad. Sounds like a good time to take a swipe at Boortz and Limbaugh. WTH?

Shame on those mocking the kids, and shame on those of you who used this story to take petty political swipes. These are the ones of you who will bend over until you can bite your own ankles to find any lame excuse for anyone else... but a real person who overcame a real addiction, THAT'S mockable... in a thread about a tragedy, no less. Pa. Thet. Ic.

Good freakin' night. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

He speaks a special language that you can not interpret, but you will before you leave this earth my friend.

Sorry to be so cryptic but, we all have dues to pay and it is just a matter of time before they are paid.

The human condition is what motivates us all, and if you listen you will discover the condition that motivates us all.

I giggle because we all need the help of others at some time or another.

Nobody admits to the belief that the help will be there but take it away, in your own heart the help that you are getting, and live it in your mind before it is a reality and you will finally understand.

Many need to discover the difference between abusers and those in need.

There is not a person that does not benefit or believe they will benefit from the collective pooling of resources that is our gov.

Is it out of whack? yes because of polarization.

Because we all have different needs.

I was a republican for many years and still embrace the conservative basics, but they or any party will no longer receive my support or endorsement.

You will not find anyone that supports business any more than Pubby not with his mouth but with his efforts, hard work, and time.

So how does that fit in with your opinion that is all about big brother, he can not be painted with your brush no matter how hard you try, his actions speak louder than words.

The continued success in this community through his efforts are unsurpassed on a national basis.

Disagree with his political views if you want, but do not disrespect him, he is successful and intelligent.As are many that disagree with your viewpoint, it is a very big world and this is a very small pond.

LPPT you know I love you but sometimes I feel I am going to choke on the blood from biting my lip from saying what I really think

Jeez -- talking about three kids who make thoughtless decisions, two pay the price, parents are sad. Sounds like a good time to take a swipe at Boortz and Limbaugh. WTH?

Shame on those mocking the kids, and shame on those of you who used this story to take petty political swipes. These are the ones of you who will bend over until you can bite your own ankles to find any lame excuse for anyone else... but a real person who overcame a real addiction, THAT'S mockable... in a thread about a tragedy, no less. Pa. Thet. Ic.

Good freakin' night. rolleyes.gif

Don't know how it happened. I post most often in the political forum. Sure didn't see a way this sad story could go that way.sad.gif nea.gif

LPPT you know I love you but sometimes I feel I am going to choke on the blood from biting my lip from saying what I really think

I can relate! that is why I keep the political forum turned off along with the TV and radio most of the time!

I :wub: you too!

And by the way our little troll is loving the the explosion in this thread!

I can relate! that is why I keep the political forum turned off along with the TV and radio most of the time!

I :wub: you too!

And by the way our little troll is loving the the explosion in this thread!

The little troll's bedtime was long ago. Can't blame the troll for the way this thread turned political...

that was strange...

The little troll's bedtime was long ago. Can't blame the troll for the way this thread turned political...

Politics now effect us so all so deeply.

I bite my tongue a lot, they deeply effect my day to day life.

Nobody is bashing because this is not in the political forum.

Some of us are very sad because we know that some segments of our society feel our children are disposable because it takes a little more to keep them alive.

We are fighting for what is dear to us, and sometimes it's not money.

sorry we took some remarks to heart..

Which segments of our society feel our children are disposable? I guess I am missing something.

Which segments of our society feel our children are disposable? I guess I am missing something.

I did not understand that comment either...

It would seem all of them if they hurt someone's bottom line.

I am not being ugly, I have taken and I have given in my life and it all comes down to my own mirror and the truth.

I am capable of compassion and I also know where to draw the line.

Yeah and the ---- hits the fan when you you draw it, but that is life!

Am I the only one that is lost? I realize it is getting late but dang...

Check JLH's thread we are having fun in there :yahoo:

Check JLH's thread we are having fun in there yahoo.gif

So now you are directing traffic to jlh's thread. What is going on here?unsure.gif huh.gif

So now you are directing traffic to jlh's thread. What is going on here?unsure.gif huh.gif

I think I sunk my boat in this one!!! off to more funner things :pardon:

Good freakin' night. :rolleyes:

Well said, my friend, well said....

I just read that two of the teens passed away. My heart goes out to their families and friends. I pray that the surviving teen will recover completely and somehow be able to cope with the loss of his/her friends.

Am I the only one that is lost? I realize it is getting late but dang...

I'm pretty well lost too MWE:

All I was trying to say is that maybe the mods were wrong in setting the insensitive posts invisible. Why? Because there are a lot of insensitive people around (fact). I mentioned one who is proud of the moniker "Mr. Insensitive" - ie. Neal Boortz - the High Priest of the Church of the Painful Truth, whom I've heard reference the Darwin Awards frequently. For those unaware of the Darwin Awards, it is typically awarded posthumously to those who do stupid things that cost them their lives (and therefore remove themselves from the gene poll.

I wasn't thinking political in any of this. Boortz from my listening to him, is proud of his insensitivity and I give a 50-50 that he may make the same observation as our 'silenced' poster.

I was just not certain that the mods did right when they silenced him/her (set the posts invisible) as I'm sure some folks who emphasize personal responsibility, as does Boortz, might see the elegance of applying Social Darwinism to this tragedy. Certainly it would be in character for some to do so.

Is/was that attitude - that social Darwinism was in play in today's drownings - a legitimate reaction? While I don't agree and I was personally offended by the 'short bus' reference, I know at least one poster (the one brought it up) believes so. Given the number of folks whom I believe ascribe to the tenets of social Darwinism on the site, I believe there may be more.

My original post simply wondered if we were being too restrictive by silencing this person and therefore those who would agree with him/her. How that question got turned back on me somehow channeling the Postman or making a political statement is a testament to either the reading comprehension or pre-conceived notions that of some of the folks who post here possess.

pubby

Praying for these kids and their families. So sad & scary! I remember when that happened here in Hiram probably 20-25 years ago. Not real clear on the details but it was either 2 or 3 boys, brothers I think, that were playing on a frozen pond off of Cleburne Pkwy when they fell through and drowned. My neighbor's little girl went to school with one of them. It was a horrible time. :( :(

a testament to either the reading comprehension or pre-conceived notions that of some of the folks who post here possess.

Who, specifically, are you calling out here? Me? Just for clarity's sake.

P.S. Preconceived notions - funny, that, coming from "some" here.

All I was trying to say is that maybe the mods were wrong in setting the insensitive posts invisible. Why? Because there are a lot of insensitive people around (fact). I mentioned one who is proud of the moniker "Mr. Insensitive" - ie. Neal Boortz - the High Priest of the Church of the Painful Truth, whom I've heard reference the Darwin Awards frequently. For those unaware of the Darwin Awards, it is typically awarded posthumously to those who do stupid things that cost them their lives (and therefore remove themselves from the gene poll.

I wasn't thinking political in any of this. Boortz from my listening to him, is proud of his insensitivity and I give a 50-50 that he may make the same observation as our 'silenced' poster.

I was just not certain that the mods did right when they silenced him/her (set the posts invisible) as I'm sure some folks who emphasize personal responsibility, as does Boortz, might see the elegance of applying Social Darwinism to this tragedy. Certainly it would be in character for some to do so.

Is/was that attitude - that social Darwinism was in play in today's drownings - a legitimate reaction? While I don't agree and I was personally offended by the 'short bus' reference, I know at least one poster (the one brought it up) believes so. Given the number of folks whom I believe ascribe to the tenets of social Darwinism on the site, I believe there may be more.

My original post simply wondered if we were being too restrictive by silencing this person and therefore those who would agree with him/her. How that question got turned back on me somehow channeling the Postman or making a political statement is a testament to either the reading comprehension or pre-conceived notions that of some of the folks who post here possess.

pubby

Pubby, I don't recall ever seeing Neal Boortz posting in this forum. I read all of the posts in this thread and "Mr Troller" (or whoever he was) was the only one lacking in sympathy and heart felt concern for those children and their families. I truly do not know where you got anything else out of this thread or from the folks posting in it. I would respectfully disagree that it was a subject that needed to come up or be discussed in this thread. If someone thought so then they needed to start their own thread on the subject. JMO

Pubby, I don't recall ever seeing Neal Boortz posting in this forum. I read all of the posts in this thread and "Mr Troller" (or whoever he was) was the only one lacking in sympathy and heart felt concern for those children and their families. I truly do not know where you got anything else out of this thread or from the folks posting in it. I would respectfully disagree that it was a subject that needed to come up or be discussed in this thread. If someone thought so then they needed to start their own thread on the subject. JMO

I very much agree NewsJunky and it is a shame that your topic was hijacked in this manner. Knowing you, I know that you posted this topic out of sympathy for the children and their families involved - I'm sure you didn't have any idea it would turn political nor was it your intention for it to turn political. Shame on those who abused this thread.

I almost posted the same words earlier. I can remember being that age and doing some things that could have gotten me hurt or killed. I thought of my Grandson right away when I read this story because he is around the same age. I read somewhere that there are more boys born than girls every year but more girls survive to adulthood. The theory was (is) that boys take more risks and fewer of them live to be adults. I just thought of these boys as kids having fun and taking a little risk. Sad.sad.gif

Anyone that thinks their kids would not do this, is mistaken. Kids make foolish choices no matter how much you have taught them to make smart choices. It is by the grace of God that any of our kids make it to adulthood.

pubby

Just what I expect from you.. not even a good try.

I very much agree NewsJunky and it is a shame that your topic was hijacked in this manner. Knowing you, I know that you posted this topic out of sympathy for the children and their families involved - I'm sure you didn't have any idea it would turn political nor was it your intention for it to turn political. Shame on those who abused this thread.

I had hoped that it might make some folks aware of the dangers of ice on lakes and ponds. I was very concerned that kids might get out of the house without a word of caution from their parents. I actually saw some of it in my neighborhood. No, it never occurred to me that it could turn into anything else. I am heartsick for the families of these children today.

Thanks BB.smile.gif

Anyone that thinks their kids would not do this, is mistaken. Kids make foolish choices no matter how much you have taught them to make smart choices. It is by the grace of God that any of our kids make it to adulthood.

Kelly, I never stopped worring about my kids when they first started driving and they were out making choices for themselves. I worried because they were kids, and I agree with you, sometimes the choices they make are not the best ones. I did not rest until they were home and safe. Oh heck, now my grand kids will be traveling that road.ohmy.gif

I know both of you wonderful loving women and BB you are so right about NJ.

It is a shame that some one who has only posted 20 times and mostly in this thread is being defended by some others. I say split this topic in two and leave the true sympathy post here and send the others to the political forum for that is where they belong.

I know both of you wonderful loving women and BB you are so right about NJ.

It is a shame that some one who has only posted 20 times and mostly in this thread is being defended by some others. I say split this topic in two and leave the true sympathy post here and send the others to the political forum for that is where they belong.

Thanks 'gog8tors'. I think because we have strong political opinions, some folks tend to believe that is all we think about. I am proud to know you ladies.smile.gif I know were your hearts are.

Why would a parent let their child(ren) go out in this mess unsupervised, knowing there are lakes/ponds nearby??? The temptation is too great and I'd not let mine out of my sight!!!!!! I just hope and pray, that they are OK and have not suffered any irreversible damage!!! (make sense?)

You would be surprised how many parents send their kids out for the day, and, could care less if they come home or not. Sad but true. Thankfully, there are also many loving, good and nurturing parents in this world too.