Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
lotstodo

Who Remembers January 7, 1973? 37 years ago today.

Who remembers the weather in Atlanta 37 years ago today? Where were you and what were you doing?

I was at Georgia Tech, which could produce their own heat and minimal power at the time. We went to the movies at South Dekalb Mall at 9 PM like a bunch of idiots and came out to a Winter Wonderland of over 3 inches of ice. We let some air out of the tires and drove back to campus at 10 MPH dodging other cars all the way. We wound up with 8 people in a dorm room meant for 2 for nearly 2 weeks.

I was only 3, so I have no clue. pardon.gif I am sure I was somewhere here in NW Ga or Paulding. smile.gif

I do. I was still living at home. We went to the neighbor's house for the night because they had a fire place and we had no heat. We had a great time playing games and sleeping on the floor in front of their fireplace. I live in Marietta at the time.

I remember. Hubby and I had only been married 3 months and were living in an apartment in Stone Mtn. We lost power for 3-4 days so we made the rounds going to our parents houses and staying. My Aunt in Buford lost power for 8 days. It was a bad ice storm.

Who remembers the weather in Atlanta 37 years ago today? Where were you and what were you doing?

I was at Georgia Tech, which could produce their own heat and minimal power at the time. We went to the movies at South Dekalb Mall at 9 PM like a bunch of idiots and came out to a Winter Wonderland of over 3 inches of ice. We let some air out of the tires and drove back to campus at 10 MPH dodging other cars all the way. We wound up with 8 people in a dorm room meant for 2 for nearly 2 weeks.

I remember! I was in 2nd grade, they let school out early , the bus dropped me off at home and my Mom was trying to get home from work. I was locked out, so I walked to the office of our apts and got a key and let myself in. The power was off so I used the hand held can opener to open a can of tune and make a sandwich. Well, when my Mom finally got home 2 hours later she was in a panic because she thought I had been locked out the whole time. She was amazed that I had actually handled the situation all on my own. Now that was an ice storm!!!

I was 11 and lived in Kennesaw. All I remember is Dad being worried about all the pine trees around the house, they were really loaded. One pine in the empty lot next to us did end up getting pulled up by the roots. It didn't make it totally to the ground and we climbed all over it for weeks.

Don't remember losing power in that one.

I wasnt alive yet, and I didnt live here. I experienced one in '98 that I would rather not have to relive. Lost power for several days. Some lost it for 2 weeks. We drove 2 hours to the coast, rented a hotel room for 1/2 hour, just to shower. I was a little embarassed, needless to say!!

I was 11 and lived in Kennesaw. All I remember is Dad being worried about all the pine trees around the house, they were really loaded. One pine in the empty lot next to us did end up getting pulled up by the roots. It didn't make it totally to the ground and we climbed all over it for weeks.

Don't remember losing power in that one.

I lived in that area too! The subdivision right next to North Cobb High School. I was in 2nd grade at the time. We lost a ton of trees in our yard, and my little Pekingnese disappeared for a while. She was 'rescued' by some lady when the weather started up and she saw her near the school. My mom and dad placed ads and she eventually called because her husband made her. I remember all those downed trees and the ice hanging off of them.

Oh yes, I remember. I was 7 months pregnant and iced in. I made sure to take it easy and stay off the ice.

Yes, I remember. I had to stay in my Mom and Dad's bedroom for several days. We had a Kerosene heater that we used to stay warm and cook/warm food. When I went to my room to get games it was freezing. I know I drove my parents crazy being as I am an only child and was bored to death. :lol:

1982 and 1993 I remember as well.

I wasnt alive yet, and I didnt live here. I experienced one in '98 that I would rather not have to relive. Lost power for several days. Some lost it for 2 weeks. We drove 2 hours to the coast, rented a hotel room for 1/2 hour, just to shower. I was a little embarassed, needless to say!!

I wasnt around either. But I do remember the one in 99 I was preganant, no phone, no power and 2 little ones. That wasnt fun, and as I looked out of the door, I saw a tree slowly (seemed like) falling on my car. I yelled at the tree (hoping the tree would stop...lol), but it didnt...still fell on my car. My was stuck at work, so when he was ale to come home, he found us, cold cold cold....with lots of layers of clothes on.

I was in my senior year of high school. I remember that snowstorm rather well. I had gotten skates and skating lessons for Christmas but couldn't go to my first lesson because of the icy/snowy roads.

You mean I've been out of high school for 37 years??????????????? How did that happen? :pardon: :blink:

Living in Austell - no power for several days...We "camped out" around the fireplace and used the "coleman camping grill" for cooking.....hey, no school!!!!

Lot of pine trees fell and once things "got back to normal," my brother and I spent several afternoons, coming in from school, picking up limbs.....needless to say, our dad made sure any remaining pine trees were "taken down" afterwards!

I was in a "Mini-Mester" for the month of January out of St Andrews College in North Carolina for the 1973 storm.

Big smile here, :yahoo: :yahoo: .....and the mini-mester was for Marine Biology and being taught in the Florida Keys!!! Dodged a bullet with that one.

Snowjam in January 1982 was another story.

My office was at Jimmy Carter& Peachtree Industrial, and I was living in East Cobb between Paper Mill Road and Lower Roswell Road.

That storm was well forecast. The weather guys had their sticks together and gave us a day's warning. It started at lunchtime and all the news stations were telling the businesses to shut down and send everyone home. Birmingham got slammed hard and they gave a good 2-3 hour warning of what was coming. But very few sent anyone home until it was too late.

I drove whatever company car was available, and that particular day it was an E-350 Ford Van....no way in hell.

My import/export manager who also lived in the East Cobb area at Terrell Mill & Powers Ferry drove a nice front wheel drive Honda. When our benevolent boss [yeah....right!] let us leave early at 4:45 it was already locking down.

Took like 45 minutes to go the 1-1/2 miles to I-285, and it was in the process of going into a total gridlock. So we got off at Ashford Dunwoody and worked our way to Abernathy & Roswell where my sister lived. It was now pushing 9:00pm. I had to help push cars over the hill at Glenridge so we could get through. Slipped and skinned my knee, ruining a pair of suit pants pushing a car with Illinois plates. That always stuck in my mind.

After a bathroom break and refreshments we headed out to Johnsons Ferry. The hill going up the Cobb side of the river was littered with cars like a can of worms, so we turned down Colums Drive and after watching a Jeep Cherokee fail to make it up the hill towards Atlanta Country Club, I took the wheel and told Anne just to close her eyes. We made it up, back over to Johnsons Ferry, to Lower Roswell and back around to PaperMill to Shadowlawn where I lived, staying to the basically flat roads even if it meant dog-legging a mile or 2 out of the way. It was not after 11:00 when I got to my back door, to water running down the back steps. What a joy, a busted water pipe.

6 hours to make a 45 minute drive.

I285 ended up in a total gridlock all the way around Atlanta. The radio stations and State Patrol was advising everyone to leave their cars unlocked in neutral so the towtrucks could pull them to the shoulders when things thawed out. MrsSurepip ended up leaving her car on the shoulder of 285 near Roswell Road and got a ride home with Randy Pike from Pike Brothers Nursery who had a nice 4 wheel drive with chains and was giving people rides. She got home around 2:00am.

It stayed below freezing for like 2 or 3 days afterwards as I recall so the thawing out was slow.

I was 6 yrs old and remember crawling in the car with my Grandfather and driving to Cobb Center Mall to pick up my Grandmother from Rich's where she was working at the time.

I was 6 yrs old and remember crawling in the car with my Grandfather and driving to Cobb Center Mall to pick up my Grandmother from Rich's where she was working at the time.

AAAHHHHHH!!! Richs at Cobb Center!! Memories!

I was working at Southern Bell off the square in Marietta. They wouldn't let us go home..they took us to a hotel for the night just to make sure we would make it back to work the next morning. Took us in a Southern Bell van and then picked us up at 5 am the next morning and took us back to work.

I was working at Southern Bell off the square in Marietta. They wouldn't let us go home..they took us to a hotel for the night just to make sure we would make it back to work the next morning. Took us in a Southern Bell van and then picked us up at 5 am the next morning and took us back to work.

Sounds like a kidnapping to me!

I was born but living in Pennsylvania. My hubby lived here and he remembers it. I think this is the one where power was out for a week or so, and they had to put the food outside in the snow to keep it cold!

gwillie:

I worked at Southern Bell when the storm hit in 1982. Snow Jam 82! They wouldn't let us go either. It started snowing in Hiram around noon. In-laws said to come home. It was sticking fast. They called every 1/2 hour. Come home! SB wouldn't let us. They finally told us we could leave at 4:00. By then, we had at least a foot of snow in Chamblee. I had a carpooler with me in the car. It took us 4 hours to get down 285 from Peachtree Industrial Blvd to Roswell Road. We heard on the radio there was an 18 wheeler jackknifed way ahead. We pulled the car over and parked it. Locked it up and walked up to Roswell Road. Stayed most of the night at a restaurant there by the exit ramp. At approx. 2 am, we were told we could travel some of the backroads home. We got as far as my friend's house in Powder Springs. I spent the night there. Called work the next morning and told them I wasn't coming in. "Why?" they asked stupidly. I said, "because I JUST got home!!" What a nightmare!

I was in a "Mini-Mester" for the month of January out of St Andrews College in North Carolina for the 1973 storm.

Big smile here, :yahoo: :yahoo: .....and the mini-mester was for Marine Biology and being taught in the Florida Keys!!! Dodged a bullet with that one.

Snowjam in January 1982 was another story.

My office was at Jimmy Carter& Peachtree Industrial, and I was living in East Cobb between Paper Mill Road and Lower Roswell Road.

That storm was well forecast. The weather guys had their sticks together and gave us a day's warning. It started at lunchtime and all the news stations were telling the businesses to shut down and send everyone home. Birmingham got slammed hard and they gave a good 2-3 hour warning of what was coming. But very few sent anyone home until it was too late.

I drove whatever company car was available, and that particular day it was an E-350 Ford Van....no way in hell.

My import/export manager who also lived in the East Cobb area at Terrell Mill & Powers Ferry drove a nice front wheel drive Honda. When our benevolent boss [yeah....right!] let us leave early at 4:45 it was already locking down.

Took like 45 minutes to go the 1-1/2 miles to I-285, and it was in the process of going into a total gridlock. So we got off at Ashford Dunwoody and worked our way to Abernathy & Roswell where my sister lived. It was now pushing 9:00pm. I had to help push cars over the hill at Glenridge so we could get through. Slipped and skinned my knee, ruining a pair of suit pants pushing a car with Illinois plates. That always stuck in my mind.

After a bathroom break and refreshments we headed out to Johnsons Ferry. The hill going up the Cobb side of the river was littered with cars like a can of worms, so we turned down Colums Drive and after watching a Jeep Cherokee fail to make it up the hill towards Atlanta Country Club, I took the wheel and told Anne just to close her eyes. We made it up, back over to Johnsons Ferry, to Lower Roswell and back around to PaperMill to Shadowlawn where I lived, staying to the basically flat roads even if it meant dog-legging a mile or 2 out of the way. It was not after 11:00 when I got to my back door, to water running down the back steps. What a joy, a busted water pipe.

6 hours to make a 45 minute drive.

I285 ended up in a total gridlock all the way around Atlanta. The radio stations and State Patrol was advising everyone to leave their cars unlocked in neutral so the towtrucks could pull them to the shoulders when things thawed out. MrsSurepip ended up leaving her car on the shoulder of 285 near Roswell Road and got a ride home with Randy Pike from Pike Brothers Nursery who had a nice 4 wheel drive with chains and was giving people rides. She got home around 2:00am.

It stayed below freezing for like 2 or 3 days afterwards as I recall so the thawing out was slow.

Surepip: See my post below! Same nightmare of a story!

Edited by MamaJo

i was working for southern bell, in east point, at that time, they arranged a taxi to take several of us home.had no power ,so hubby and kids went to stay with family in riverdale , they had power.

I was in Augusta and we had the perfect snowfall! Fourteen inches of snow but no ice. My boyfriend had a VW and came and picked me up from school. My car stayed at school for 3 days and we had to dig it out. When we came to get it, there were people skiing down the street in front of the school.

I was 10 and lived in FL.

Oh I guess you didn't mean meninja.gif drinks.gif

We were here for 93 and this FL girl thought it was the coolest thing. DH even walked all the way to the WH just to get coffee. Our dogs had a blast and our kids had so much fun.

I remember. I was 8 at that time. Had to stay with relatives due to no heat, etc....

I remember the one in 1982 because I was working in Atlanta at the time and luckily managed to make it home before things really got bad.

1993? Remember that one, too...well pump + 4 day power outage + impassable roads = nightmare.

That's all I'll say about that.

Edited by rednekkhikkchikk

In the Great Ice Storm of 1973, I was working for Douglas County EMC (now GreyStone Power). It took us two weeks to get most of the power back on.

Believe it or not, I was in Paulding County visiting my aunt, uncle and cousin. Back then it was all dirt roads, and it seemed like we were in another country. Power was out, and all my uncle had was one of those little gas furnaces (with the ceramic tiles along the back). We boiled hotdogs on it for food, and ate hotdogs for at least 2 days that I can remember. I was only 7 at the time, but won't EVER forget it.

I remember. I was 8 at that time. Had to stay with relatives due to no heat, etc....

I remember the one in 1982 because I was working in Atlanta at the time and luckily managed to make it home before things really got bad.

1993? Remember that one, too...well pump + 4 day power outage + impassable roads = nightmare.

That's all I'll say about that.

The afternoon crisis of 1982 was the most memorable of all. We lived on South Cobb Drive, 1 mile from 285 into Smyrna (called Oakdale back then). My dad was worried about my mom, so we piled into my 65 Fairlane to try to meet her on Hwy 41. We managed to pull into the Godfather's Pizza place on Hwy 41, since we couldn't get back up the hill. Then we had to walk on foot from Hwy 41 all the way back home...not sure how many miles that was, but it took about 5 or 6 hours to get home. We stopped at an old lady's house on Atlanta Road, who let us come in to warm up before proceeding home. All the while my mother had made it home without incident.

I remember it well....my idiot of an ex-husband was outside working on his car in the rain and then it all started. First rain, then freezing rain, then just plain old sleet. And he still worked on the car...got to admit though...it did run after he finished with it. Talk about cold!!!!! Brrrrrrrr.