Paulding.com

Assistance with handicap proofing a home...

Does anyone know of a TV show (HGTV or TLC) or charity that will change a home to handicapped accessible for free or close to it? I'm recently diagnosed with MS and have very limited mobilty and don't have money to make my house livable for me.

All suggestions welcome!

Thanks

what will need ot be done, besides widening doorways and smoothing out thresh holds? i'm sure the bathroom might need to be modified, but what about the kitchen? hallways?

I'm lepmuks husband, and yes, the bathroom would need to be modified; a larger doorway to start, we would also need a large shower stall instead of a shower bath combo. I'd need help with the plumbing, moving the toilet and I'd remove the vanity to install a pedestal sink, which I could do and I could tile the shower and bathroom on my own. I'd like to install laminate flooring, it would make moving in a wheelchair easier. Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

my husband can frame out doorways and install laminate flooring.

now we just need to find sponsors. ;)

The last year has been very difficult and the fact people we don't know who would be willing to help is overwhelming. Thank you.

Yes, thank you so much for the support and offers. We're sort of a proud couple and find it hard to ask for help, but it is definitely needed now. I found out that the way I am, is the way I will be. We thought this might not be the MS and I would recover, but that's not the case. I've been going through a lot of emotional adjusting and TJB has had more than a lot to deal with everything from taking care of me and our 4 animals, dinner, helping me get into the tub, etc.

I feel like the luckiest woman alive to have such a man in my life who will put off his life to take care of me. I love you more than you can imagine TJB!!!

I've got hands. Plumbing, framing, tile, flooring, electrical...I can help with the work. Can't really help with materials or cost though.

Keep me in mind.

First, I have to see how we can pay for MS medicine. Wal-Mart pharmacy said it would cost 500.00 monthly, although we will be dealing with a mail order pharmacy and hopefully it will be less expensive or we can get some assistance. I think we would do the bathroom first, then tackle the other projects. Thanks for your offer.

Hi,

Sorry to read about all of your medical issues. I had no idea of any of this. You know you can give me a call anytime to chat, as I have been through so much medical wise over my entire life and would be happy to give you someone to talk to.

As for help on certain things....

Steve of course would be happy to help with anything he could, but we won't be around to do it, since we are moving back to England.

Something you might want to do is contact Vocational Rehab in Dallas. Contact then for whatever assistance they can give to you. I don't know what they can do exactly for you but I am sure they can help in some way or give you leads.

There are various organizations out there that will help with medicine cost, some organizations can provide you with a discount card that will make the medicine low cost or no cost to you. You can begin with the manufacturer of the medication.

There are government agencies and non-profits that might be able to provide information and assistance.

Wish you the best, and feel free to call anytime.

First, I have to see how we can pay for MS medicine. Wal-Mart pharmacy said it would cost 500.00 monthly, although we will be dealing with a mail order pharmacy and hopefully it will be less expensive or we can get some assistance. I think we would do the bathroom first, then tackle the other projects. Thanks for your offer.

sent a pm

Hi,

Sorry to read about all of your medical issues. I had no idea of any of this. You know you can give me a call anytime to chat, as I have been through so much medical wise over my entire life and would be happy to give you someone to talk to.

As for help on certain things....

Steve of course would be happy to help with anything he could, but we won't be around to do it, since we are moving back to England.

Something you might want to do is contact Vocational Rehab in Dallas. Contact then for whatever assistance they can give to you. I don't know what they can do exactly for you but I am sure they can help in some way or give you leads.

There are various organizations out there that will help with medicine cost, some organizations can provide you with a discount card that will make the medicine low cost or no cost to you. You can begin with the manufacturer of the medication.

There are government agencies and non-profits that might be able to provide information and assistance.

Wish you the best, and feel free to call anytime.

Thank you Nemie, I know you've both been going through your own issues lately and that's sweet to offer. When are you leaving for England? If Steve would be able to estimate the cost of what we can expect for materials to do the bathroom and floors that would be wonderful! But if you're too busy with the move, that's fine. Good luck with everything!!

Thanks

I think we have some left over tile from our bathroom. I will check. My husband is a contractor, so our garage is full of stuff. Make me a list and I will see what we have.

Home depot does sponser things like this. You can go and fill out the papers at the store.

We have also been trying to get help with the same issue. I do know that the MS Society does have some help if you qualify. We did have a ramp put on the house. The guy who did it did a great job and was very affordable. The bathroom is a whole other issue. I do not even know how to start.

Anyway....where there is a will there is a way. PM me and maybe we can put our heads together and figure it out. :)

How about your insurance - for the medicine?