Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
cornyGirl

2010 Dallas Christmas Parade.....

Christmas...the sweetest time of the year!

Seems appropriate with all the candy being slug at the kiddies ;)

Christmas in July!

Dress code: swimsuits and flip flops! :lol:

Took the words right out of my head! :clapping:

Christmas in Dixie but a lot of people wouldn't like that. I would like to make a suggestion to Paulding.Com about their Christmas broadcast of the parade. If it is cold again and the MC for the parade is going to be inside the building then hang a mike out the window so we can hear the bands when they go by. Have the mike so the MC can turn it off and on from the inside of the building. Would make it so much better to hear the music and the crowd part of the time.So I say a big THANk you Pubby for all of the work that you did to bring the people at home the parade.

Edited by weatherboy

Christmas - A Magical Season

I would like to see a major crackdown on candy period. No slinging it from the floats or other entries at all for example. And for a theme what about something like Hope for Christmas or something related to the fact we can come thru adversity like a flood and recession and still thrive.

The Redneck 12 Days of Christmas....

.....each float picks one of the 12 days and decorates accordingly.

:lol:

The Redneck 12 Days of Christmas....

.....each float picks one of the 12 days and decorates accordingly.

:lol:

:huh: :lol: :rofl: heck yeah, that would be so funny!!! :good:

I would like to see a major crackdown on candy period. No slinging it from the floats or other entries at all for example. And for a theme what about something like Hope for Christmas or something related to the fact we can come thru adversity like a flood and recession and still thrive.

Now I don't mind the candy, it's the rude a$$ kiddos who cut my poor son off to get to the candy. He's waiting patiently behind the rope for the officer to kick it over and the little brats are going under and grabbing it all.

I was going to suggest a "Small Town Christmas", but the 12 redneck days of Christmas has me rofl.gif

Now I don't mind the candy, it's the rude a$$ kiddos who cut my poor son off to get to the candy. He's waiting patiently behind the rope for the officer to kick it over and the little brats are going under and grabbing it all.

But if they were required to pass it out rather than fling it, then that wouldn't be an issue.

But if they were required to pass it out rather than fling it, then that wouldn't be an issue.

LL they are not supposed to throw candy, it is very clearly stated in the application. Now how do you expect to go about stopping them?? I guess we could just kick them out and not let them be in the parade? :unsure:

It's been going on for so long, I don't think people understand the safety issues.

Maybe you should write to the Rotary or Civitans and let them know who does throw candy, that way when they submit their application next year they can be denied participation. :unsure:

OK guys, who "slung" the candy? :spiteful:

I didn't see any slinging of candy going on.

LL they are not supposed to throw candy, it is very clearly stated in the application. Now how do you expect to go about stopping them?? I guess we could just kick them out and not let them be in the parade? :unsure:

It's been going on for so long, I don't think people understand the safety issues.

Maybe you should write to the Rotary or Civitans and let them know who does throw candy, that way when they submit their application next year they can be denied participation. :unsure:

We finally gave up and left just as the boy scouts passed. We even watched the chick on the back of one of the sheriff office's 4 wheelers throwing candy. Every single float but one which I believe to be a church threw candy. Yes, kick them out. Yes, it's a safety issue. It needs to be addressed.

I didn't notice any candy slinging, I saw a few candy tosses, and there was a really disturbing married guy with 3 young kids that kept checking out teenage girls a bit too much when his wife wasn't looking, but truth be told...

I was really too distracted by the East Paulding Raiders blowing the doors off the parade with their band AND ROTC!!!

RAIDERS RULE!!!!!

Almost forgot, my vote for next year's theme would be SMALL TOWN CHRISTMAS, while we still can claim to be a small town....

Edited by hoohaa

Yeah-East Paulding was fantastic! And, I thought North Paulding did a nice job for its size.

I didn't notice any candy slinging, I saw a few candy tosses, and there was a really disturbing married guy with 3 young kids that kept checking out teenage girls a bit too much when his wife wasn't looking, but truth be told...

I was really too distracted by the East Paulding Raiders blowing the doors off the parade with their band AND ROTC!!!

RAIDERS RULE!!!!!

• Like 1

We finally gave up and left just as the boy scouts passed. We even watched the chick on the back of one of the sheriff office's 4 wheelers throwing candy. Every single float but one which I believe to be a church threw candy. Yes, kick them out. Yes, it's a safety issue. It needs to be addressed.

Well if every float was throwing but one and we kick them all out, it won't be much of a parade with just one float will it??? :lol:

Christmas in Dixie but a lot of people wouldn't like that. I would like to make a suggestion to Paulding.Com about their Christmas brodcast of the parade. If it is cold again and the MC for the parade is going to be inside the building than hang a mike out the window so we can hear the bands when they go by. Have the mike so the MC can turn it off and on from the inside of the building. Would make it so much better to hear the music and the crowd part of the time.So I say a big THANk you Pubby for all of the work that you did to bring the people at home the parade.

I agree about the microphone. I told Southern Scarlett that very thing. I did enjoy watching it on pcom.

Guest Hi~ho Silver

Christmas in July!

Dress code: swimsuits and flip flops! :lol:

Priceless! I can see the thong bikinis already. :rofl:

Well if every float was throwing but one and we kick them all out, it won't be much of a parade with just one float will it??? :lol:

I know there are ways it can be enforced. Perhaps when each application comes in, it needs to be addressed to the entrant. It may not be an issue for some, but it is for a lot of others. There was an autistic boy beside us who also could't have candy and was as frustrated as we were. It's not just a 'me' problem. The trash issue would be greatly reduced. nobody would be darting in front of floats and there woudln't be a reason for greedy, pushy kids and their parents.

I can say that I handed the candy to the kids and it is a VERY hard thing to do and try to keep up with the float...it does NOT work. I even asked the parents of small ones if it was OK before I gave any to them. I spent a lot of time running to catch up with the float and had to miss a lot of kids because of that.

Life is never prefect and there are no perfect events.

Sometimes as parents we have to get creative. My poor middle son would never seem to get candy at parades, and I always had a pocketful stashed away and would somehow manage to make it seem the candy was tossed so he could get it. Worked like a charm.

• Like 1

In previous years I always enjoyed the parade, but always wished that the parade would begin with one of the marching bands. What a great way to let you know that the parade is starting (coming), and to get everyone excited and pumped up. I must admit that I missed this year's parade. Did it start with a band?

What would you like to see as the theme for next year's parade?

I love the parade, candy slinging, rude kids, parents and all. There will never be a perfect situation and never will everyone be happy at the same time. It is what it is :pardon: The parade is once a year, we know what to expect and have learned to deal with it.

• Like 1

I love the parade, candy slinging, rude kids, parents and all. There will never be a perfect situation and never will everyone be happy at the same time. It is what it is :pardon: The parade is once a year, we know what to expect and have learned to deal with it.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Thank you!! The parade is a wonderful event, for everyone..........those that like candy and those that don't, young and old, and everyone in between!!

Seriously if there is something you don't like and it never changes why do you subject yourself to that??

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Thank you!! The parade is a wonderful event, for everyone..........those that like candy and those that don't, young and old, and everyone in between!!

Seriously if there is something you don't like and it never changes why do you subject yourself to that??

yep :good: ,without beating around the bush. :lol:

But....but....but then there would be nothing to complain about. And we all know, that just cannot happen! :shok:

I can say that I handed the candy to the kids and it is a VERY hard thing to do and try to keep up with the float...it does NOT work. I even asked the parents of small ones if it was OK before I gave any to them. I spent a lot of time running to catch up with the float and had to miss a lot of kids because of that.

I was about to say....I know for a fact that our girls were literally running back and forth from the candy bin to the kids handing out candy to each kid individually. Now, I know I saw SouthernScarlett dump candy into atleast one kids lap....but she still didn't throw it and the kid and parents had a great laugh.:ninja:

They were literally sweating by the time the parade was over because they refused to just 'throw' the candy. :wub:

Our candy passer-outers were awesome!

My vote is for Christmas in July. :lol:

*shrug* so those of us that go to see the actual parade and not get bunches of junk candy shouldn't go? Why not enforce a rule already in place? By the way, Kudos to those passing out candy rather than tossing it! I'm sure it was more difficult, but it does make a difference to those who want to actually SEE the parade. I guess the question is-who are you doing it for and why? The citizens of Dallas or is it to toss out candy? I guess i don't see why they can't enforce an existing rule to make it better for all involved. I understand it must be incredible amounts of work for those setting it up and I totally commend you. Come on Cathy-you know I support you guys in everything. I figure you would WANT to know how those watching it feel.

*shrug* so those of us that go to see the actual parade and not get bunches of junk candy shouldn't go? Why not enforce a rule already in place? By the way, Kudos to those passing out candy rather than tossing it! I'm sure it was more difficult, but it does make a difference to those who want to actually SEE the parade. I guess the question is-who are you doing it for and why? The citizens of Dallas or is it to toss out candy? I guess i don't see why they can't enforce an existing rule to make it better for all involved. I understand it must be incredible amounts of work for those setting it up and I totally commend you. Come on Cathy-you know I support you guys in everything. I figure you would WANT to know how those watching it feel.

I'm not doubting you were frustrated but it's been this way for years, it is a safety issue but if we eliminate the "throwers" we won't have much of a parade. I worry more about safety and an accident than I do about candy. The kids get excited and sometimes it's hard to control them.

It is a huge undertaking and a few very dedicated folks put this together. Maybe you could work with them about how to keep the candy out. ;)

I would like the theme next year to be...........

The gift of Christmas and see people theme their floats as they would like in keeping with a christmas theme.

Then every entry would have volunteers dressed up pulling wagons or pushing wheelbarrows the people along the route could place canned good, toys, and candy in them, they would be emptied into boxes on the floats hopefully piled high by the end of the parade with gifts for the less fortunate in our community.

Wouldn't it be adorable to see the little ones placing stockings with candy and toys in the wagons and carts.

It would emphasize the spirit of Christmas.

• Like 1

I would like the theme next year to be...........

The gift of Christmas and see people theme their floats as they would like in keeping with a christmas theme.

Then every entry would have volunteers dressed up pulling wagons or pushing wheelbarrows the people along the route could place canned good, toys, and candy in them, they would be emptied into boxes on the floats hopefully piled high by the end of the parade with gifts for the less fortunate in our community.

Wouldn't it be adorable to see the little ones placing stockings with candy and toys in the wagons and carts.

It would emphasize the spirit of Christmas.

that is a good idea, and you didn't even yell :p

that is a good idea, and you didn't even yell :p

WELL!! yelling is uncalled for :lol: