Paulding.com

Paulding County in news again

I agree with this, but I also see many parents that do not back the teachers, admin, school, etc. when little Johnny gets into trouble. Many of them say "not my child." Many of the problems stem from the fact that parents are defending their children even when they are guilty.

My sister was this way with her "sweet little boy" as he was growing up. Every year his teacher "didn't like him for some reason"....etc. He's 21 now, has totaled three cars and one motorcycle; been arrested for pot 3 times; arrested twice before he turned 21 for minor in possession of alcohol; DUI - all of which Mommy & Daddy bailed him out of. Just recently he was arrested for 2 felony charges that Mommy & Daddy will not be able to get him out of. And she wonders why the police always "pick on him." Sheesh!!!! It would be funny if it weren't so sad. <_<

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree with this, but I also see many parents that do not back the teachers, admin, school, etc. when little Johnny gets into trouble. Many of them say "not my child." Many of the problems stem fro

No I am not his parent but I am a parent.

And may I add for you teachers.....it boggles my mind the number of parents who choose to believe their kids over multiple witnesses. "My child would not lie to me." LISTEN UP parents---your kids play you like a fiddle! They lie boldly to you because you would rather stick your head in the sand and believe them than deal with the reality. They lie because they don't want you to be dissappointed. They lie because if they tell the truth they get in trouble--if they lie, they don't.

And just another observation--if you lie to others in front of your kids, they learn that it is okay to lie to you! I am amazed at my friends who will answer the phone and tell the person on the other end that the Daddy isn't there when he is sitting in the same room. And kids learn very quickly--they will do what you do--not what you say.

AMEN!!!

:clapping: :clapping:

I agree with this, but I also see many parents that do not back the teachers, admin, school, etc. when little Johnny gets into trouble. Many of them say "not my child." Many of the problems stem from the fact that parents are defending their children even when they are guilty.

Just so you guys know I most certinaly am not one of "those" parents. When ever the teacher would call I would just say OK what did s/he do now? And when they would say well so and so did this I would ask and what did you do to egg it on? I have seen these parents on my son's ball teams and my daughter's teams too.

So :yahoo: :yahoo: for the teachers who care :wub:

And may I add for you teachers.....it boggles my mind the number of parents who choose to believe their kids over multiple witnesses. "My child would not lie to me." LISTEN UP parents---your kids play you like a fiddle! They lie boldly to you because you would rather stick your head in the sand and believe them than deal with the reality. They lie because they don't want you to be dissappointed. They lie because if they tell the truth they get in trouble--if they lie, they don't.

And just another observation--if you lie to others in front of your kids, they learn that it is okay to lie to you! I am amazed at my friends who will answer the phone and tell the person on the other end that the Daddy isn't there when he is sitting in the same room. And kids learn very quickly--they will do what you do--not what you say.

Thank you!

I think one of the hardest things for me to deal with this year is an 8th grader who has already told me that it doesn't matter if they do their work or not because they have already decided they are not going to high school. They are now a constant disruption to my classroom and the teachers get no support from the parent(s).

Thank you!

I think one of the hardest things for me to deal with this year is an 8th grader who has already told me that it doesn't matter if they do their work or not because they have already decided they are not going to high school. They are now a constant disruption to my classroom and the teachers get no support from the parent(s).

If the parents are not supporting you....why not go to your administration? I agree some parents would rather not deal with the school system, but the school administration has been "dropping the ball" alot lately.

Did anyone see the interview with the accused last night? I think Dalton had alot of nerve to say what he did was wrong and he wouldn't do it again. I am hoping that those of you that "assumed" this was just a random person he picked out to beat up now know that he was in fact protecting himself from someone that was in fact the real bully.

I did see the interview and he did NOT look like the victim to me. At first, he said with or without a camera, he would do it again to protect himself. He is also much larger than the one who got seriously hurt. Then, he also posted on his my space account that he had won another fight. It now looks like he's backtracking -- saying he wouldn't do it again.

I don't know either of these kids, but he looks and sounds like a possible troublemaker. It doesn't look too good for him.

Did anyone see the interview with the accused last night? I think Dalton had alot of nerve to say what he did was wrong and he wouldn't do it again. I am hoping that those of you that "assumed" this was just a random person he picked out to beat up now know that he was in fact protecting himself from someone that was in fact the real bully.

Edited by BigEyes

I did see the interview and he did NOT look like the victim to me. At first, he said with or without a camera, he would do it again to protect himself. He is also much larger than the one who got seriously hurt. Then, he also posted on his my space account that he had won another fight. It now looks like he's backtracking -- saying he wouldn't do it again.

I don't know either of these kids, but he looks and sounds like a possible troublemaker. It doesn't look too good for him.

I guess you don't if you are saying those things. He was saying the cameras did not influence him into hitting the boy he was protecting himself from the other child. I do know Dalton and he is a good kid that had been taunted more than enough and handled it the way kids do. Not all bullys are large. Some are smaller boys looking for respect from others. What they didn't show in the interview is the fact that the other child had been taunting him for over a week and that morning had been saying are you gonna pu$$y out or are you going to fight me? I am sure he didn't bother to tell his parents that side of the story but no worries the witnesses that have already written their statements did...

As I said, I don't know the kids. If you do and he's the victim, I apologize. It just doesn't look that way. Here's the link..

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/teen_charged_in_paulding_fight_speaks_112409

I guess you don't if you are saying those things. He was saying the cameras did not influence him into hitting the boy he was protecting himself from the other child. I do know Dalton and he is a good kid that had been taunted more than enough and handled it the way kids do. Not all bullys are large. Some are smaller boys looking for respect from others. What they didn't show in the interview is the fact that the other child had been taunting him for over a week and that morning had been saying are you gonna pu$$y out or are you going to fight me? I am sure he didn't bother to tell his parents that side of the story but no worries the witnesses that have already written their statements did...

BigEyes, on 25 November 2009 - 10:37 AM, said:

As I said, I don't know the kids. If you do and he's the victim, I apologize. It just doesn't look that way. Here's the link..

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news/teen_charged_in_paulding_fight_speaks_112409

BigEyes, on 25 November 2009 - 10:37 AM, said:

Looking at the way he sucker punched a much smaller kid, speaks volumes about his character. I truly hope criminal charges are filed against this kid.

Edited by TJB

The child was not sucker punched, the media is only showing the last 5 seconds of a 10 second fight and the other child did in fact swing at Dalton and was blocked. The media is never going to show the whole story because it wouldn't be such a big deal if they did. It would be just any other fight at school. I am curious why this family decided to go public with this but nobody went public when a child was tazered the week before at the same school? I think this is all rediculous that people are judging the kids without knowing all the facts such as the accused had been taunted by this child all weekend and all morning on the day of the fight. His parents didn't bother to tell anyone that. And how do you judge a child to say he looks like trouble? He is still a child... What exactly does trouble look like?

Well I can tell you that I am mad about the whole thing as well! I know that fights have always happened in schools however today is alot different than when we older adults were in school. I have had my own personal dealing with SPHS just a couple weeks ago. My son was assaulted, that happened on a Friday the person that did it wasn't dealt with until Monday afternoon, with ISS. It happened in the class room right in front of the teacher, teacher wrote them up and it waited till Monday afternoon. It had to be investagated wt... the teacher saw it happened. On Monday before they went to the office my son was threated, by this same person then threated that they would stab him, teachers heard this and did nothing. So I went to the school the next day and raised HE** as to why that went unnoticed and this person assaulted my son and all they got was 1 day ISS I think not. The school does drop the ball and why??

While I agree kids have no respect for others, I am on both ends of this. But also some of the adults that we have teaching or working with our children shouldn't be in those postition either! I know this from first hand experience. Some of them bully these kids into miss behaving and then want to lay blame on the child or the parents saying its not their fault. I beg to differ, I do support the teachers but after the HE** we went through for 3 years with my youngest, it is true. Trust me the people at the BOE know and have said this too! This year he has the best teachers in Paulding Co.

Now back to the topic, all that stood around and watch this happened something needs to be done to them. Something needs to be done to protect our kids. Does this make SPHS a "At Risk" school? What is the guide lines that make them a "violent" school??

Well I can tell you that I am mad about the whole thing as well! I know that fights have always happened in schools however today is alot different than when we older adults were in school. I have had my own personal dealing with SPHS just a couple weeks ago. My son was assaulted, that happened on a Friday the person that did it wasn't dealt with until Monday afternoon, with ISS. It happened in the class room right in front of the teacher, teacher wrote them up and it waited till Monday afternoon. It had to be investagated wt... the teacher saw it happened. On Monday before they went to the office my son was threated, by this same person then threated that they would stab him, teachers heard this and did nothing. So I went to the school the next day and raised HE** as to why that went unnoticed and this person assaulted my son and all they got was 1 day ISS I think not. The school does drop the ball and why??

While I agree kids have no respect for others, I am on both ends of this. But also some of the adults that we have teaching or working with our children shouldn't be in those postition either! I know this from first hand experience. Some of them bully these kids into miss behaving and then want to lay blame on the child or the parents saying its not their fault. I beg to differ, I do support the teachers but after the HE** we went through for 3 years with my youngest, it is true. Trust me the people at the BOE know and have said this too! This year he has the best teachers in Paulding Co.

Now back to the topic, all that stood around and watch this happened something needs to be done to them. Something needs to be done to protect our kids. Does this make SPHS a "At Risk" school? What is the guide lines that make them a "violent" school??

Just curious what you would suggest as punishment. Have you ever been in the wrong place at the wrong time? Were you punished?

If you look closely in the video the children that were standing around were smaller than the two boys fighting, the video makes the victim look much smaller when in fact he is not he is almost the same size as Dalton. I have told both of my boys not to get involved in a fight at school because then they are going to have charges pressed on them too for being a party to the fight. I experienced this last year at SPMS. Had it not been for the witnesses saying my son was trying to break it up my son would have had charges pressed against him as well as the two children that were fighting.

I totally agree in your case that the school dropped the ball and I as a mother would have been right behind you raising he**. I would have not only pitched a fit at the school but would have went on to the BOE and spoke to the superintendent. It may not have gotten me anywhere but they would have known I had been there.

And how do you judge a child to say he looks like trouble? He is still a child... What exactly does trouble look like?

I don't agree. He is not a child (yes, I know legally he is considered a child), he is a young man. How long do this 95% grown people get to use "child" as a defense??? How can one say he looks like trouble??? Ummm....I would say the broken face of the other kid reveals his capability for trouble.

One of my favorite sayings is "I am not trying to raise a perfect child, I am trying to raise a responsible adult." Please do not make excuses or try to make this young man the victim. I understand the other kid played a role--did Dalton really feel so threatened by him that he had to defend himself physically?? Really??? My son is on the football team at SPHS. I can guarantee you he has had his share of "taunting" by other kids. He has chosen to walk away every time. THE SATISFACTION OF THE FIGHT IS NOT WORTH THE CONSEQUENCES. "Taunting" does not require physical self defense.

Dalton is probably not a "bad kid" and the other kid is probably no angel. But come on, you seriously cannot defend what he did.

And how do you judge a child to say he looks like trouble? He is still a child... What exactly does trouble look like?

I don't agree. He is not a child (yes, I know legally he is considered a child), he is a young man. How long do this 95% grown people get to use "child" as a defense??? How can one say he looks like trouble??? Ummm....I would say the broken face of the other kid reveals his capability for trouble.

One of my favorite sayings is "I am not trying to raise a perfect child, I am trying to raise a responsible adult." Please do not make excuses or try to make this young man the victim. I understand the other kid played a role--did Dalton really feel so threatened by him that he had to defend himself physically?? Really??? My son is on the football team at SPHS. I can guarantee you he has had his share of "taunting" by other kids. He has chosen to walk away every time. THE SATISFACTION OF THE FIGHT IS NOT WORTH THE CONSEQUENCES. "Taunting" does not require physical self defense.

Dalton is probably not a "bad kid" and the other kid is probably no angel. But come on, you seriously cannot defend what he did.

:clapping:

My 2 cents worth-the kids that were watching should have gone and got an adult.They don't want to get it involved because the school system has it embedded in their beds not to or they will be in trouble as well.(guilt by association).This happened to my son in MS.I don't think an adult should be in the locker room-then you have another issue with accusations of watching kids getting undressed.I have been on many lockers rooms in school without the teacher.My son goes to SPHS and says there is trouble there everday we just don't see it.

I am not saying how he reacted is the correct way but I am saying everyone is making out to be all Dalton's fault and he didn't pick a child out and say I am going to beat him up today. I was bullied in school as well and I understand at some point you break and do what you have to, to protect yourself. Also what is not being said on TV is the fact that the other child has a big brother who has also threatned Dalton so maybe it runs in the family...

When I was in school I watched boys throw each other over the wall of the library (Lithia Springs High) and they got suspended and went on about their business nobody ever got expelled. How is it punishment to restrict a child from getting an education and putting him back another year so he is more likely to quit school when he is old enough. I just don't think that is a rational decision. It was a fight people, kids fight always have and always will. Build a bridge and get over it.

My 2 cents worth-the kids that were watching should have gone and got an adult.They don't want to get it involved because the school system has it embedded in their beds not to or they will be in trouble as well.(guilt by association).This happened to my son in MS.I don't think an adult should be in the locker room-then you have another issue with accusations of watching kids getting undressed.I have been on many lockers rooms in school without the teacher.My son goes to SPHS and says there is trouble there everday we just don't see it.

That is exactly right.

If the kid that was doing the beat down was really "defending" himself why didn't he stop after the other child was subbdued? Does the video that we haven't seen show the kid that was beaten throw the first punch? It takes two to fight. Some one is always going to look worse then the winner/loser.

I still have a problem with these kids that don't seem to know that going and getting help is a heck of a lot more important then videoing it. Is it good that this was taped? Yes. Would it have made sense for one of the bystanders to go and get a teacher or other adult? Yes, oh that's right I forgot it is so much better to go aong with the crowd after all when you get into trouble they'll be right there for you. Yea, I have said that to my kids. No matter who is at "fault" most of the time both have blame in things like this the bystanders need some kind of disapline as well.

We don't know if anyone got help or not. My guess would be that by the time someone went for help the beat down was over...:pardon:

Both of my children carry their cell phones to school. I want them to be able to get in touch with me if something happens at school. Just as Dalton had to call his mother because the school did not. I would much rather these kids fight it out than to bring a gun to school and shoot someone that is bullying them.

I agree with the post from before that everyone has been in the wrong place at the wrong time and the fight only lasted about 10 seconds. After the boy proceeded to poke Dalton my understanding is that is when the fight started so of course the kids videoing it wouldn't have known to get the video started, however they all have signed statements saying the other child started it.

I think that this is an everyday thing at school so why does this one deserve to be in the media? Are the parents looking for money from either the school system or Dalton's family??

I think this is a horrible thing for both families and I say let it go...

Yup. So do you think the person that videoed the fight should be reprimanded?

NO, I do not think the kid taping should be punished. It's called evidence. What we don't know is that perhaps two or three kids whe WERE there when the fight started ran to get help. We don't have any EVIDENCE of who is not there--of who perhaps left for help. There looks to be two or three kids standing around--there might have been seven or eight just seconds before the video started. And perhaps the kid taping knew this. All conjecture from our perspective.

I might add, I have talked to my son about what to do if someone starts a fight. You can't just stand there and get pummeled. You're not supposed to fight back. What do you do? Years ago, I had friends who kept mentally disabled adults in their homes. They were not permitted to hit them even if the disabled became violent. They were trained in "take down" methods. Ways to put the aggressor on the floor with face down so that they could not hit you. I showed my son some of this and told him if someone starts throwing punches to do the "take down". It IS self defense and he doesn't have to actually hit back. Fortunately, he has never been in a situation that escalated that far. I do wish the schools would give the kids some information like this. Telling them to go get a teacher is not always possible as this video shows.

Both of my children carry their cell phones to school. I want them to be able to get in touch with me if something happens at school. Just as Dalton had to call his mother because the school did not. I would much rather these kids fight it out than to bring a gun to school and shoot someone that is bullying them.

I agree with the post from before that everyone has been in the wrong place at the wrong time and the fight only lasted about 10 seconds. After the boy proceeded to poke Dalton my understanding is that is when the fight started so of course the kids videoing it wouldn't have known to get the video started, however they all have signed statements saying the other child started it.

I think that this is an everyday thing at school so why does this one deserve to be in the media? Are the parents looking for money from either the school system or Dalton's family??

I think this is a horrible thing for both families and I say let it go...

So you don't think he should have pay for doctor bills?

No I think the school insurance should have to pay them since there was no adult supervision, and apparently there was suppose to be.

Does the family of this boy who did the pummeling know you are discussing this on PCOM? I bet they wish you would shut up...

I moved here my senior year of HS and only attended school here for one semester.

I saw more fights in that ONE semester at EPHS than I ever had in my LIFE!!! :blink:

One even involved a fire extinguisher! :o

They usually happened between classes when the hallways are too crowded for the teachers to get through.

That way, the bully has a min or two to wail on the kid he/she is beating up before it gets broken up.

:Zing!: I moved here in 1998 from INNER CITY SCHOOLS (I was known as "that white girl")and never saw the amount of sex, drugs, alcohol, and volience as I saw the 2 years I was in PC schools! The course offerings were sub-par and the apathy from students was unreal. 11 years later, I teach in PC schools and I FIGHT to put rigor into the curriculum and change student attitudes towards school, but I'm only one person and I may only "reach" one or two students a year. :shrug:

Thank you!

I teach that kid too. Not a whole hell of a lot you can do about at kid who says [at least 2x a week--because that's all he shows up] "I'll be 16 in a year and a half and I'm quitting school. My dad already said I could." This is the same dad who looked me in the eye and asked ME if there were any concequences for his son not doing school work!! :wtf:

If the parents are not supporting you....why not go to your administration? I agree some parents would rather not deal with the school system, but the school administration has been "dropping the ball" alot lately.

I've involved administration. Unfortunately for me, he's not breaking any rules. I document disruptive behaviors, but there's a process to how many count as an infraction. Sending the kid home gives him exactly what he wants. It's my hope that I can teach him a little something before he leaves....like how to add :wacko:

Does the family of this boy who did the pummeling know you are discussing this on PCOM? I bet they wish you would shut up...

I'm sorry I thought this was an open forum I didn't realize you were in charge, I have spoke to several people involved and they could care less since it is in the media but... so it doesn't cause you anymore stress I will remove myself from this conversation and will not recommend anyone who wants to give their opinion visit this site either... Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving!!

I'm sorry I thought this was an open forum I didn't realize you were in charge, I have spoke to several people involved and they could care less since it is in the media but... so it doesn't cause you anymore stress I will remove myself from this conversation and will not recommend anyone who wants to give their opinion visit this site either... Have a Wonderful Thanksgiving!!

laugh.gif No stress, whatsoever. You might want to check with his parents though... wink.gif

No I think the school insurance should have to pay them since there was no adult supervision, and apparently there was suppose to be.

I'm confused. Can some of you teachers help? If adults are not supposed to be in the locker room because there might be "inappropriate" .....whatever, how can there also be adult supervision. Seems like the administration is in a lose/lose situation. How do the schools handle this in the locker room?

FWIW - NO adult KNOWS a student quite like another student KNOWS them! ;)

I know adults can be friends and spend time around their friend's child / children - but I am telling you, children DO NOT behave the same way around adults as they do at school. Unless any of y'all are actually freshmen at SPHS, you don't really know how this child acts at school. Just my 2 cents.

FWIW - NO adult KNOWS a student quite like another student KNOWS them! ;)

I know adults can be friends and spend time around their friend's child / children - but I am telling you, children DO NOT behave the same way around adults as they do at school. Unless any of y'all are actually freshmen at SPHS, you don't really know how this child acts at school. Just my 2 cents.

:good: Yep. My thoughts exactly.