Paulding.com

When I moved our big garbage container to roll it to the curb today, there was a little black lizard under it. It's skin is slick and shiny. It has a lot of tiny yellow spots all over. Nose to tail, he is only about 3".

It did not run when I moved the trash can. It just laid there on the dirt. I had never seen one like it so I took a photo of it with my cell phone. I got within a few inches of it to take the photo. It still did not run. It did take a couple of steps, so I knew it wasn't dead.

I checked on it after about 30 minutes and it was still just laying there, out in the open, on the dirt. I felt badly because he apparently is in a hibernation state, and I took his shelter. He was very easy prey for birds where he was. I put a plastic container over him and slid a piece of plastic under him. He did cling to the plastic for a few seconds, but fell down into the container when I turned it over. He still did not move much.

He has been in the container in our kitchen all afternoon. The only thing he has done is stick his head under a wood chip that was near him when I scooped him up. I am wondering if I need to warm him up so he "wakes up" and then turn him lose tomorrow? Since the temps are supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow, I am afraid if I just dump him under a bush or something, he may not be able to find adequate shelter if he is still "asleep".

Here is a pic of him.

post-10514-125902445116_thumb.jpg

Lizards give me the willies.. :unsure: ..can't believe you brought it into your house. You are a better person than me. I have found some of those out in our woods while cleaning up leaves and such. Whenever I come across on I just start cleaning somewhere else. Good luck figureing out what to do with it! :)

Hey, that looks just like the one in a container in MY kitchen!!!

Oh, wait... It IS the same one! (Hi Honey!!!)

I've been Googling for a black lizard with yellow spots, and the nearest I can find is a Spotted Salamader, but the spots on those are described as running in two rows. This guy just looks like he is mottled with spots, sort of like a reptilian dalmation.

Anyone have a better guess on what this is, and what living conditions he needs? We'd like to release him back to the wild, but would prefer to keep him in the gene pool contributor category, and not have him wind up as dinner to a bird or cat.

• 2 weeks later...