Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
LPPT

ANYBODY SEE THIS?

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Sometime between midnight October 30, 2009 and October 31, 2009, Paulding.com will undergo one of the most dramatic changes in its history as we upgrade from one version (2.3.6) to a new version (3.0.4) of the message board.

Along with the board change is a change in server location and an increase in total processing cores from five cores to twelve and an increase in RAM memory from 12GB to 24GB as well as a new service provider. This should be invisible to you although you may see an increase in the responsiveness of the site, particularly in times, like Sept. 20, when the site is stressed with close to 1,000 concurrent viewers.

The visible changes with the new board are notable and include a minor tweaks like the location of the logon to tremendous improvements in how the site is moderated and managed.

While we expect the change over to go smoothly, there is always a chance that some things will run afoul.

Some things to consider: Probably sometime after noon on Saturday - maybe even Saturday evening, the current board will disappear, either in fits and spurts (as the DNS changes) or immediately. Hopefully, the new board will reappear in its place automagically smile.gif but users may experience some disruption of use particularly Saturday and possibly, if things go badly, lingering on Sunday. The move in all its splendor, should be complete by Monday assuming a worst case scenario.

Other notable changes include a new look; a change in approach for the users control panel (a drop down) and a change in the way that personal messages are handled. The blogs, available to premium members, include much greater control over the look and there are even options - not implemented with this move - that would allow members to link their facebook accounts, including logons.

The goal is to build a bigger, more user-driven and user-friendly Paulding.com capable of serving the community even better. We will be involving the community in the adoption of many of the new opportunities possible.

A note of caution: While your personal messages should 'migrate' to the new board without issue, if you have important numbers or contact information in your PM box, you should archive those to your email or copy that data to your home PC as a precaution.

This new board and look offers many new features and, while change is always new, the expanded reporting tools, improvements in the searching ability of the site including search ranking make this a win, win for Paulding.com and the Paulding community.

faint.gif

some of us have been through this before.. it was so much fun posting until the board went down, and pubby did it so fast we kept posting right through it LOL

I hope everything goes well with the board change..

Would it possible to post the new DNS address, so that way if the URL paulding.com doesn't go to the new one, the DNS number will.

Wow. I like PCom the way it is now. I'm looking forward to the new upgrades.

Hey. What about an IPhone App? Right now, it takes far too long to load.

I think the new board may give us the option.

We have also talked about doing a live presentation on the front if it seems some are having difficulty.

So if you are you can watch for us to put it up on the front where the weekly news is.

Would it possible to post the new DNS address, so that way if the URL paulding.com doesn't go to the new one, the DNS number will.

Hopefully Pubby will be in here in a few to answer some of these questions, I do not have the answer to that.

He had pinned this at the top of forums and I knew that many do not search by forum, but hit the refresh nonstop, so I decided to post the message.

I sure hope this change goes smoother than facebooks and our new presidents. :D Just saying.

Wow, I must have missed this!! Maybe Pubby needs to post it in every forum, so everybody would know!! LOL :ph34r: :rofl:

Are there live chat capabilities?

We discussed this as a possibility, what you will probably see is us introducing a lot of things over time, instead of all at once.

I sure hope this change goes smoother than facebooks and our new presidents. :D Just saying.

There may very well be some bumps, we can only hope that everyone will be patient and report things and ask questions.

I will also be learning as we go, and will have to work with the CM's to make sure they can use the new options also.

I intend to push all the buttons until I get it all figured out.

I do not like change.. LOL

so if I get lost y'all come find me LOL

It ill be like lowrider she got lost, and had to come back as slow rider LOL

I will I promise!

I sent Pubby a SOS to help answer the questions!

He is probably busy getting ready to make the change.

:rofl:

yeah that was pretty funny, she would not listen to moe and me, she had to be hard headed.....

and she got lost lOL

I see pubby in here now..

Good Luck pubby..

and I hope the next time I sign on to pcom I have not been deleted, or put in cyber space LOL

yeah that was pretty funny, she would not listen to moe and me, she had to be hard headed.....

and she got lost lOL

Good Luck pubby..

and I hope the next time I sign on to pcom I have not been deleted, or put in cyber space LOL

Look Pubby is here! I wonder if he did the exasperated eye roll that is so familiar to those that work with blonds :lol:

:lol: We will search for you. :lol:

It is different with a new feel. Sorta reminds me of buying a new car, you have to drive it to see all the new stuff.

PUBBY,

I can not see my Blogs, nor anyone else's.

Look Pubby is here! I wonder if he did the exasperated eye roll that is so familiar to those that work with blonds :lol:

He has probaly already scratched his head and thought where do I start LOL

:lol: We will search for you. :lol:

It is different with a new feel. Sorta reminds me of buying a new car, you have to drive it to see all the new stuff.

PUBBY,

I can not see my Blogs, nor anyone else's.

Johnny J remember when the titanic went down? we all posted right through it LOL

He has probaly already scratched his head and thought where do I start LOL

Johnny J remember when the titanic went down? we all posted right through it LOL

That was a wild and crazy night! :lol:

I am sure that pubby has weighed all his options on this change,

and this is what pcom needs,.

but just in case......... I get lost someone better come look for me LOL

At this point, this site will remain paulding.com until the new site is there.

For a sneak-peek ... and a place to check if this site fails and the new one doesn't come, check http://newhope2.paulding.com/forum/index.php?app=portal

This is a fully functioning upgrade of the board but doesn't include any of the posts from the past week or so... only those that we've put in playing ... You'll see a lot of test, test, etc. and even some errors and omissions and even broken images.

But it will give you a taste of the new board.

Speaking of omissions, on the default view there are no ads save the tower ads. This of course will change sooner rather than later ... but all in good time. You can also see the incomplete fall skin.

pubby

i remember being rerouted to the twilight zone a couple of years ago during one of these changes. are we gonna have the alt site to go to again?

So you are saying Saturday will be a little TRICKY and then a TREAT. :D

Reesy and I are playing on it now so we can get a jump start!

Go give it a try!

and she got lost lOL

Good Luck pubby..

Who you calling hard-headed????????????????

post-1579-1151006525_thumb.jpg

:lol:

Reesy and I are playing on it now so we can get a jump start!

Go give it a try!

Sure will. I leave for just a few hours and come back and find i am not in Kansas any more.

Kind of freaked for a minute. :lol:

My gut is that it will be newhope2.paulding.com site. I don't have the IP on the machine I'm using at this moment but really there is little to worry about tonight.

This board (the version 2.3.6) will definitely still be live tomorrow morning. That is because we are actually making a tar ball of this entire site and moving it about five or six miles away to another Internet connection point. That will take an hour and that will happen sometime after midnight.

After moving that roughly 4 GB file (all your pictures, all my pictures, etc.) five or six miles over the net - at least an hour even at 100mbps - it will have to be un-tarred and restored on the new server. That is a half-hour at least.

Now, we install the new board software and it has to convert each of nearly 3 million target entries into plus the 20,000 user entries plus the 500,000 PM's still in the database ,etc. etc. and that is going to take two to three hours to accomplish.

Then there is the name server and moving the new database to its server and setting it up and then the adserver and its upgrade.

So, sometime between 10a and 2 p.m. I expect the 'conversion to be over. At that point the new board will have all the posts on this board up until about midnight. The new name server will start changing over the IP address and that change could begin early or late, depending on a whole host of factors of which I have no control.

Regardless, the posts made here after midnight (or maybe 1 am) will be history even though this board (v 2.3.6) will continue operating and running until 1 p.m. or even 4 p.m. or later Saturday.

The biggest issue is my email will likely be down during that time.

But what I expect to happen is that sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening, the new board will begin to appear on computer screens and the old board, an all posts made since midnight, will be toast.

pubby

PS: We will probably go live sometime tomorrow afternoon with the video. The video will be live on both the new and old pcom fronts and because it is served from another site altogether, it will be uninterrupted. It will be reachable from http://www.livestream.com/pauldingcom regardless. There is a chat that is available there that I will likely activate if there is a need.

My gut is that it will be newhope2.paulding.com site. I don't have the IP on the machine I'm using at this moment but really there is little to worry about tonight.

This board (the version 2.3.6) will definitely still be live tomorrow morning. That is because we are actually making a tar ball of this entire site and moving it about five or six miles away to another Internet connection point. That will take an hour and that will happen sometime after midnight.

After moving that roughly 4 GB file (all your pictures, all my pictures, etc.) five or six miles over the net - at least an hour even at 100mbps - it will have to be un-tarred and restored on the new server. That is a half-hour at least.

Now, we install the new board software and it has to convert each of nearly 3 million target entries into plus the 20,000 user entries plus the 500,000 PM's still in the database ,etc. etc. and that is going to take two to three hours to accomplish.

Then there is the name server and moving the new database to its server and setting it up and then the adserver and its upgrade.

So, sometime between 10a and 2 p.m. I expect the 'conversion to be over. At that point the new board will have all the posts on this board up until about midnight. The new name server will start changing over the IP address and that change could begin early or late, depending on a whole host of factors of which I have no control.

Regardless, the posts made here after midnight (or maybe 1 am) will be history even though this board (v 2.3.6) will continue operating and running until 1 p.m. or even 4 p.m. or later Saturday.

The biggest issue is my email will likely be down during that time.

But what I expect to happen is that sometime tomorrow afternoon or evening, the new board will begin to appear on computer screens and the old board, an all posts made since midnight, will be toast.

pubby

PS: We will probably go live sometime tomorrow afternoon with the video. The video will be live on both the new and old pcom fronts and because it is served from another site altogether, it will be uninterrupted. It will be reachable from http://www.livestream.com/pauldingcom regardless. There is a chat that is available there that I will likely activate if there is a need.

I had trouble refreshing the page over there, finally found it! works pretty much the same, it just looks a little different!

Just found out when you click over on Pubby's link change your skin to the Halloween one, it will look much more familiar!

The Halloween skin is awesome by the way!