Paulding.com

George Lunsford Alsobrook, age 75, of Paulding County, passed away Sunday, October 18, 2009. He was born February 23, 1934, in Blue Ridge, GA, and was preceded in death by his father, Gordon Walter Alsobrook, mother, Pauline Alsobrook Thompson, and wife, Mary Alice Cain Alsobrook. Mr. Alsobrook was a U. S. Army veteran of the Korean War. He raced in Nascar in the late 50’s and early 60’s,

racing at Daytona International Speedway and other tracks in the southeast. Mr. Alsobrook was a member of the Bartlett Lodge #134 in Hiram, the Nobility Club and the Shrine Club. He owned and operated Alsobrook Junk Yard for over 50 years, and was a school bus driver for Paulding County School System for 34 years.

Survivors include his sons & daughter-in-law, Nick & DeAnne Alsobrook of Powder Springs and Paul Alsobrook of Hiram; brothers & sisters-in-law, Bobby & Betty Alsobrook of Powder Springs, Dennis & Karen Alsobrook of Hiram, Gordon Alsobrook of Dallas, and Doug & Dorothy Alsobrook of Villa Rica; sister & brother-in-law, Brenda & Reverend Johnny Turner of Dallas; grandchildren, Allie Alsobrook, Emily Alsobrook and Polly Alsobrook; numerous nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be Wednesday, October 21, 2009, at 3:00 PM, from Clark Funeral Home Chapel, with Reverend Wayne Morris officiating. Interment will follow in Sweetwater Memorial Park. Robert Allen, Kevin Seifert, Lance Rakestraw, Shane Martin, Sonny Ragsdale, Bobby Watson, Danny Alsobrook, and Mike Gordon will serve as pallbearers. Honorary pallbearers will be Charles Hardy, Mike Rakestraw, George Crider, Buddy Ragsdale, Jimmy Mosteller, Jimmy Upchurch, Don Stanley, Butch Owens, Guy Odom, David Ashcraft, Wilbur Rakestraw, Tyre Rakestraw, Thomas Aiken, Larry Ragsdale, Lowell Rakestraw, Bobby Rakestraw, Danny Rakestraw and the rest of his poker gang.

The family will receive friends at the funeral home on Tuesday, October 20, 2009, from 4:00 PM until 8:00 PM.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to: Yaarab Shrine Hospital Fund, 400 Ponce de Leon Avenue, NE, Atlanta, GA 30308 (404-872-5818).

Clark Funeral Home in Hiram, GA, is in charge of arrangements. www.samclarkfuneralhome.com

George was an amazing man with the kindest heart. We are all so sad that he is gone, but thankful that he's not suffering anymore. He was so excited about the Hayride, sporting his t-shirt around town, coming by to watch the progress...doing everything he could to help Paul and Jason get this thing going. Unfortunately, he was too sick to come once it actually started.

That sweet man will be missed by so many. Everyone please keep Paul and Nick and the grandkids in your prayers...they will certainly be in ours. :(

George was my bus driver in elementary school. He ws always very nice. Every Friday he would stop by Grand's after all the kids were picked up in the morning an buy us all a coke for "pop-a-top fridays." Me and my cousins were his last stop in the afternoon and he would stop by store and buy us candy and ice cream before taking us home. George was a great man and will be sorely missed.

George was my bus driver in elementary school. He ws always very nice. Every Friday he would stop by Grand's after all the kids were picked up in the morning an buy us all a coke for "pop-a-top fridays." Me and my cousins were his last stop in the afternoon and he would stop by store and buy us candy and ice cream before taking us home. George was a great man and will be sorely missed.

That is a WONDERFUL story :wub:

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Alsobrook family. George was my daughters' bus driver, they both loved him so much! He was a regular at Rodney's in Hiram too, where one of my daughter's worked with Allie Alsobrook. This great man has left a lot of positive memories in the lives of the people he came into contact with.

Rest In Peace, George. :wub:

The Turnbill Family

He was my oldest daughter's bus driver when she was in middle school. He's bought her many cokes and lots of candy!!! She really, really liked him. He was very good to his "kids". I'll let her know about his passing.