Paulding.com

No one has posted about the DOW?

When people stop getting laid off, and people can find jobs- this will be huge in my opinion. Companies are doing better because they have reduced their workforces so much that they now report higher profits- wallstreet is reacting to this.

Companies perform better, investors take notice, companies increase the workforce.

Sure you are... :lol:

:lol:

Sadly...$8.80 will only get the stock back to where it was 16 months ago.

BUT, at least it's a start. Companies have opened up their budgets for 2010 and they're forecasting higher sales revenue. These are good signs.

My company, which is small with a stagnent stock, actually had their largest quarter in history - nearly 80 years in business.

I'll admit that I'm concerned about a double dip in the economy, but that's just because I'm a motley fool that generally leaves that stuff to the professionals. I'm celebrating up, and I firmly believe that what you put into the universe comes back to you. Have a blessed day, MWE. I hope that this is a positive thing for you and yours as well.

Edited by GEAgirl
Food for thought and to put things into perspective...

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/dow-10000-oh-wait-make-7537

You'll be hard pressed to talk me into the stock market being anything more than a glamourous roulette wheel - but, it's driven by momentum. A number of domestic companies have made international acquisition this quarter...globalization is strategic and essential and it's going to open up markets with less front end investment.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that this is very scary...but chances are that I'll be dead before we have to concern ourselves with a true 1984 situation. In the meantime, it's better to burn out than to fade away...so here's to 14,000 (or 9,458) by q210!

Edited by GEAgirl
Food for thought and to put things into perspective...

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/dow-10000-oh-wait-make-7537

Very interesting.

Besides, IMO, the dow has very little to do with fundamentals any more, too many people who don't understand it are investing.

It's all a matter of sentiment now and as soon as something bad happens, those people will yank their money back out and it will crash again.

You'll be hard pressed to talk me into the stock market being anything more than a glamourous roulette wheel - but, it's driven by momentum. A number of domestic companies have made international acquisition this quarter...globalization is strategic and essential and it's going to open up markets with less front end investment.

The conspiracy theorist in me says that this is very scary...but chances are that I'll be dead before we have to concern ourselves with a true 1984 situation. In the meantime, it's better to burn out than to fade away...so here's to 14,000 (or 9,458) by q210!

We pulled everything else at Dow 12,600 in 2008 over concerns related to derivatives exposure. We don't plan on getting back in to the market any time soon due to derivative concerns, accounting tricks (mark to market relaxed rules set to expire at the beginning of the new year), and the continued monetization of debt by the Fed. Buy and hold is dead, traditional analyses used by investors are useless as long as the Fed continues to prop the market up.

However, I've made a little money investing in the too big to fail companies of C and AIG.

We pulled everything else at Dow 12,600 in 2008 over concerns related to derivatives exposure. We don't plan on getting back in to the market any time soon due to derivative concerns, accounting tricks (mark to market relaxed rules set to expire at the beginning of the new year), and the continued monetization of debt by the Fed. Buy and hold is dead, traditional analyses used by investors are useless as long as the Fed continues to prop the market up.

However, I've made a little money investing in the too big to fail companies of C and AIG.

That was a good thing to do, and a good time to do it. BUT, not everyone can pull out - ie, those with restricted stock that comes as a portion of their compensation. Ride the wave - I'm tellin' ya, if we see the banks take holiday...we're all screwed. I'd stick it all under the mattress if I could!

Guest Heigh ho Silver
When people stop getting laid off, and people can find jobs- this will be huge in my opinion. Companies are doing better because they have reduced their workforces so much that they now report higher profits- wallstreet is reacting to this.

Along with the fact the gold is setting a new record everyday and oil is the highest it's been all year. I'm waiting on signs of real recovery.

That was a good thing to do, and a good time to do it. BUT, not everyone can pull out - ie, those with restricted stock that comes as a portion of their compensation. Ride the wave - I'm tellin' ya, if we see the banks take holiday...we're all screwed. I'd stick it all under the mattress if I could!

We took the penalties and cashed out. I am concerned about the possibility of a bank holiday. The scary thing is that nothing has changed for the banks. They are insolvent. They are being propped up by accounting tricks and cheap money from the Fed. CRE exposure/losses combined with losses from Alt A and Pay Option over the next couple of years will make for a couple of interesting years, think wild ride on the market. Not to mention their off balance sheet exposure to verious derivatives. With the dollar tankin, I bet some banks are taking a hit. What will be interesting to watch is the interest rate exposure but currency exhange is pretty interesting these days.

Edited by winston1972
We took the penalties and cashed out. I am concerned about the possibility of a bank holiday. The scary thing is that nothing has changed for the banks. They are insolvent. They are being propped up by accounting tricks and cheap money from the Fed. CRE exposure/losses combined with losses from Alt A and Pay Option over the next couple of years will make for a couple of interesting years, think wild ride on the market. Not to mention their off balance sheet exposure to verious derivatives. With the dollar tankin, I bet some banks are taking a hit. What will be interesting to watch is the interest rate exposure but currency exhange is pretty interesting these days.

I think it is temporary. You have a good grasp of what is happening in the market. The government needs to let free enterprise take care of the economy and stop the wealth redistribution. It is killing the American economy.

I think it is temporary. You have a good grasp of what is happening in the market. The government needs to let free enterprise take care of the economy and stop the wealth redistribution. It is killing the American economy.

I'm waiting for it to crash too. Maybe next year. It will be a rocky ride for the next couple of years while all this clears out of the financial system and the dust settles. Then I am expexting much higher interest rates and another recession.

It just tickles me to hear some of these analysts using percentage gains and losses on the radio and TV - but they don't have a clue. (They need to take a class on statistics.) They want to make it sound like everything has recovered.

Let me give you some round numbers for example.

The DOW was 14,000 and dropped to 7,000. They say it dropped 50% (which it did).

Now they're saying that the DOW has increased by 50% - trying to make it sound like everything is back.

Except a 50% increase of that 7000 is only 10,500. For the DOW to get back to where it was would require a 100% increase of that 7000.

I guess it's true what they say - 43% of all statistics are totally worthless! Or as Walt Kelly used to say, "Twenty Percent of Zero is Better than Nothing."

The stockmarket means nothing if the dollar keeps dropping and inflation rises as it may. Sorry to rain on the miniparade but the gov't is spending money we don't have and trying to spend more...then print their way out of debt. Inflation is such a small word for what could happen if this isn't stopped soon. Recession, Deprssion or the largest economy in the world...bankrupt. I pray for wisdom.

The run up has been lead by financials, whose bottom line is a wholly owned subsidiary of the US Taxpayer. They borrowed 0% money from the fed and stashed it in the mattress to make their bottom lines look sweet. Lending is still crippled, housing is getting worse, just not as quickly, taxes appear to be going up. All negative.

The only good news today is Intel, and the fact that inventories shrunk. Consumer spending minus autos rose slightly on back to school. The minutes from the FED were the same old reassuring BS.

10,000 is just a number, but I guess that half a recovery is better than none at all.

I could make a BANNER to celebrate 10K .....

At only $4 dollars a sq ft, a 3x8 would be only be $96! Thats just 10.9 shares of GEA girls stock.

Regular price for that anywhere else would be about $150-175!!!!

Glenn

We had better hope that the Chinese continue to have faith in the American Dollar and don't call our debt immediate due and payable.

Do you know how to speak Chinese????

let them try, we will leave them face down with a sore hiney and a IOU in their pocket ;) and they know it