Paulding.com

More County Layoffs

Salary information is available under Open Access Request. Request it yourself and see.

I understand about the Open RECORDS Request quite clearly; however, I am very unclear on how you or anyone else can explain the FULL SCOPE of any of our county employee's duties and responsbilites which accompany their salaries. I mean, do they work a standard 40 hour work week or do they work an 80 hour work with (with or without overtime pay)? Are there things that are expected of them outside the 40 hour work week which we would need to take into consideration?

Why are you the Judge and Juror as to why they don't deserve the salaries they receive - are you relying simply on what you are hearing?

I pay LOTS of county taxes also and I feel that my family and I also have a voice; however, I do believe our county leaders are doing the best they can with the resources they have. I try my very best to stay informed and attend county commission meetings when my schedule allows and I truly think they are doing the best they can.

Salary information is available under Open Access Request. Request it yourself and see.

It should have been posted by the person making the statements to begin with. Ooops, sorry Beachbum we were posting at the same time....

Edited by MeWhoElse
I understand about the Open RECORDS Request quite clearly; however, I am very unclear on how you or anyone else can explain the FULL SCOPE of any of our county employee's duties and responsbilites which accompany their salaries. I mean, do they work a standard 40 hour work week or do they work an 80 hour work with (with or without overtime pay)? Are there things that are expected of them outside the 40 hour work week which we would need to take into consideration?

Why are you the Judge and Juror as to why they don't deserve the salaries they receive - are you relying simply on what you are hearing?

I pay LOTS of county taxes also and I feel that my family and I also have a voice; however, I do believe our county leaders are doing the best they can with the resources they have. I try my very best to stay informed and attend county commission meetings when my schedule allows and I truly think they are doing the best they can.

It's common practice in industry to consolidate departments to achieve maximum savings during budget crises; I think County government should be no exception. I have not heard to date of the County looking into doing anything like this. Additionally, there are a lot of Counties that do have an independent Airport Department and other Counties have it rolled up under the their County's DOT areas. It was just example. I could cite others. Heck for that matter we could save some $$$ and just have have one Commissioner like Bartow or Cheroke has.

I am glad you are so enthusiastic about the County government and elected officials. I am a taxpayer too and want to ensure that our County leaders have done everything possible before asking the taxpayers for additional money especially considering the prior regime was partially responsible for the mess this County is in.

It's common practice in industry to consolidate departments to achieve maximum savings during budget crises; I think County government should be no exception. I have not heard to date of the County looking into doing anything like this. Additionally, there are a lot of Counties that do have an independent Airport Department and other Counties have it rolled up under the their County's DOT areas. It was just example. I could cite others. Heck for that matter we could save some $$$ and just have have one Commissioner like Bartow or Cheroke has.

I am glad you are so enthusiastic about the County government and elected officials. I am a taxpayer too and want to ensure that our County leaders have done everything possible before asking the taxpayers for additional money especially considering the prior regime was partially responsible for the mess this County is in.

I understand - I have been in the "professional world" for about 30 years now and I understand fully some of the measures that are taken during budget crises'. Can you please tell me EXACTLY how Paulding County has not exhausted most every effort to cut the budget short of having layoffs? Are you at the county offices every day of the week to observe and offer constructive criticism? As for the airport, do you not understand what an impact it will have on the future of our county, thus the obvious reason for the personnel?

Have you regularly attended county commission meetings and voiced your concerns? If you have, kudos to you! I think I might have met you one time when I met you at Publix and donated some items to your nephews cause (worthy cause might I add) but I'm not sure I would recognize you if you were at the meetings.

I understand the concern but what I don't understand is constant criticism without any viable, credible remedies.

I understand - I have been in the "professional world" for about 30 years now and I understand fully some of the measures that are taken during budget crises'. Can you please tell me EXACTLY how Paulding County has not exhausted most every effort to cut the budget short of having layoffs? Are you at the county offices every day of the week to observe and offer constructive criticism? As for the airport, do you not understand what an impact it will have on the future of our county, thus the obvious reason for the personnel?

Have you regularly attended county commission meetings and voiced your concerns? If you have, kudos to you! I think I might have met you one time when I met you at Publix and donated some items to your nephews cause (worthy cause might I add) but I'm not sure I would recognize you if you were at the meetings.

I understand the concern but what I don't understand is constant criticism without any viable, credible remedies.

I have both attended meetings when possible and viewed the meetings on Comcast. I have also emailed my Commissioner to voice my concerns. However, I recognize the fact that this County, as well as others, are run in cases by a small group of people that ultimately will look out for their best interests. I do think David Austin is taking a look a critical look at a lot of things but until we have some new blood at Commission post level its more of the same as far as I am concerned. I'm just really tired of the good ole boy cronyism that is prevalent everywhere including Paulding County.

I have both attended meetings when possible and viewed the meetings on Comcast. I have also emailed my Commissioner to voice my concerns. However, I recognize the fact that this County, as well as others, are run in cases by a small group of people that ultimately will look out for their best interests. I do think David Austin is taking a look a critical look at a lot of things but until we have some new blood at Commission post level its more of the same as far as I am concerned. I'm just really tired of the good ole boy cronyism that is prevalent everywhere including Paulding County.

Oh well....we will have to agree to disagree. I am very much in disagreement with you about the leadership of our county and about how, as you say, that they ultimately look out for "their" best interests.

I continue to understand why more people don't run for public office..............

Oh well....we will have to agree to disagree. I am very much in disagreement with you about the leadership of our county and about how, as you say, that they ultimately look out for "their" best interests.

I continue to understand why more people don't run for public office..............

Very well then. I have entertained the thought of running for public office at some point. On a side note my nephew finally found a job at Starbucks that he seems to enjoy. It seems to have the potential for some social outlets which he needs. During his time looking for employment, he did manage to run up a $1700 internet bill. Seems he ran over a certain threshhold for downloadables and AT&T decided to extend credit to his mothers account to continue with the gaming. I'm suprised his mother didn't end up in the hospital after getting the bill.

Very well then. I have entertained the thought of running for public office at some point. On a side note my nephew finally found a job at Starbucks that he seems to enjoy. It seems to have the potential for some social outlets which he needs. During his time looking for employment, he did manage to run up a $1700 internet bill. Seems he ran over a certain threshhold for downloadables and AT&T decided to extend credit to his mothers account to continue with the gaming. I'm suprised his mother didn't end up in the hospital after getting the bill.

Starbucks is a great company and I hope your nephew is enjoying his job and I wish him the best of luck! I think it must be a "rite of passage" for teens to astronomically run up a phone bill at one time or another - I know it happened with all 3 of my children! :lol:

it's all good.......... Obama's gonna fix everything :rofl: :ninja:

We know that's not gonna happen :lol: But I also know that democrats didn't land us in the spot we are in right now. Deregulating everything sure as hell didn't help matters. When enough laws are removed that were there to protect the less intelligent from the more intelligent, I knew we were screwed. When deregulation occurs, the next thing to follow is ethics. I spent the last 8-10 years of my life watching that happen. (JMO). ;)

What was it that Paul Harvey used to always say? Self government doesn't work without self discipline.

Here is an excerpt from one of my posts from yesterday. It might help shed some light on the reason people are questioning the "new" leadership and why County employees like my friend are angry right now. And before the question is even asked, yes this is factual information.

"I think the real problem here is the good 'ole boy system that still seems to embrace everything. My friend, who works for the County, told me that after the layoffs that occurred in March, the County turned around and hired two employees that were former employees of the new County Administrator. One was a director of a department that had not had a director for a couple of years. So if the department had gone two or so years with no director, why did it have to have one right after others lost their jobs to layoffs? It sounds like they laid off existing employees so they could hire a buddy to a high paying position to me. That is not good business, and the employees see it and know it. I wonder what the layoffs this week will clear room for. Our County just boots people out the door, some longtime, loyal employees, and give them nothing at all to thank them for their service. That's ridiculous and embarrassing for all of us, not to mention just plain wrong."

Also factual is the fact that the County Administrator has hired a total of three of his former employees to County positions, all while 30+ employees have been laid off. If layoffs are necessary, why is anyone being hired other than critical emergency service personnel?

Edited by AHamil

How in the heck can the courts or the DA's office lay folks off??? They are running 2 and 3 years behind on cases now. A case that goes to court in less than 6 months in Cobb, takes at least 3 years in Paulding. Makes no sense whatsoever.

How in the heck can the courts or the DA's office lay folks off??? They are running 2 and 3 years behind on cases now. A case that goes to court in less than 6 months in Cobb, takes at least 3 years in Paulding. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Makes one wonder. When the economy was doing good years ago and still had a backlog?????? Think about it!!!

That sad, but a sign of the times. Very difficult after many years of putting time into a job to both which should be a win/win deal. The employer has a worker that has long term knowledge in the job, also the worker knows they have invested their career into a system, or job, for hoping a long term relationship. It's sad. I always thought most civil service jobs with either the gov't, state, county, or most municipalities came with some job security, much less retirement and benis

Indeed, it is a sign of the times. I, too, know several who were "laid off", with over 20 yrs. employment, with 2 weeks pay, and same insurance deal; they were not county employees; worked for a rather large company that cut back like crazy. I believe IF the CEO's, and other big titled folks would cut their salaries, give up co. vehicles, etc., many of the "regular" folks could keep their jobs. But, what do they really care? The layoffs, cutting back, etc., is nation wide. I do not understand a lot of this situation.

Here is an excerpt from one of my posts from yesterday. It might help shed some light on the reason people are questioning the "new" leadership and why County employees like my friend are angry right now. And before the question is even asked, yes this is factual information.

"I think the real problem here is the good 'ole boy system that still seems to embrace everything. My friend, who works for the County, told me that after the layoffs that occurred in March, the County turned around and hired two employees that were former employees of the new County Administrator. One was a director of a department that had not had a director for a couple of years. So if the department had gone two or so years with no director, why did it have to have one right after others lost their jobs to layoffs? It sounds like they laid off existing employees so they could hire a buddy to a high paying position to me. That is not good business, and the employees see it and know it. I wonder what the layoffs this week will clear room for. Our County just boots people out the door, some longtime, loyal employees, and give them nothing at all to thank them for their service. That's ridiculous and embarrassing for all of us, not to mention just plain wrong."

Also factual is the fact that the County Administrator has hired a total of three of his former employees to County positions, all while 30+ employees have been laid off. If layoffs are necessary, why is anyone being hired other than critical emergency service personnel?

I have discussed this before also. David Austin is guilty of hiring a former employee also while county employees holding similar positions were let go. I know quite a few county employees and they are shaking their heads at some of the things this administration is doing.

I have discussed this before also. David Austin is guilty of hiring a former employee also while county employees holding similar positions were let go. I know quite a few county employees and they are shaking their heads at some of the things this administration is doing.

Did anyone expect a politician not to "act" like a politician?

Ya know, I really don't have a problem with this....and there's not much in this county that I DON'T have a problem with. Look, if you get put into a leadership position like Austin did, and in your professional career before taking the position you worked with people who you knew you could count on to do a solid job, why in the hell wouldn't you want them on your new team? I think you're making a swift judgement that these are just friends of his who are unqualified for the positions they were given. When George Bush hired a horse trainer to head up FEMA, a guy who's inadequacies and lack of experience were severely exposed during Katrina, he was guilty of straight up cronyism and a perfect example of your assumption here on the county level. I'm not ruling out the idea that that may be what happened, but there's atleast an equal chance that Austin brought qualified, top-notch people on board that he can count on to get things done.

As far as laying off others to make salary room for new folks, well, in my professional career in telecom, an industry that has been hammered since 2000 by revolving layoffs (my last company had SEVEN rounds of layoffs in a 2 year period), the first layoff is always aimed at the dead weight, folks who aren't performing. I have no reason to believe that things are any different with a county government layoff. Any organization who can successfully replace dead weight with dependable talent is doing the right thing. With that said, appointing a director over an organization that hasn't had a director for a couple of years is definitely questionable. I sincerely hope that that department was failing miserably in order to justify the director position.

mrnn

Makes one wonder. When the economy was doing good years ago and still had a backlog?????? Think about it!!!

There were several problems which caused the backlog.

For a long time it was lack of Assistant DA's and public defenders to deal with the cases. When that problem was fixed they found they were hampered by a lack of Judges to hear the cases. The state appointed another Superior Court Judge and the problem moved to lack of courtrooms in the old building to hear the cases. Now that that problem has been fixed the county is backtracking because of funding and undoing the first step they took in fixing the problem.

Ya know, I really don't have a problem with this....and there's not much in this county that I DON'T have a problem with. Look, if you get put into a leadership position like Austin did, and in your professional career before taking the position you worked with people who you knew you could count on to do a solid job, why in the hell wouldn't you want them on your new team? I think you're making a swift judgement that these are just friends of his who are unqualified for the positions they were given. When George Bush hired a horse trainer to head up FEMA, a guy who's inadequacies and lack of experience were severely exposed during Katrina, he was guilty of straight up cronyism and a perfect example of your assumption here on the county level. I'm not ruling out the idea that that may be what happened, but there's atleast an equal chance that Austin brought qualified, top-notch people on board that he can count on to get things done.

As far as laying off others to make salary room for new folks, well, in my professional career in telecom, an industry that has been hammered since 2000 by revolving layoffs (my last company had SEVEN rounds of layoffs in a 2 year period), the first layoff is always aimed at the dead weight, folks who aren't performing. I have no reason to believe that things are any different with a county government layoff. Any organization who can successfully replace dead weight with dependable talent is doing the right thing. With that said, appointing a director over an organization that hasn't had a director for a couple of years is definitely questionable. I sincerely hope that that department was failing miserably in order to justify the director position.

mrnn

You know I don't often agree with you but I do about this. I would just add this "elections have consequences". I don't know if the administration made good choices in this case but I guess we will find out.

We know that's not gonna happen :lol: But I also know that democrats didn't land us in the spot we are in right now. Deregulating everything sure as hell didn't help matters. When enough laws are removed that were there to protect the less intelligent from the more intelligent, I knew we were screwed. When deregulation occurs, the next thing to follow is ethics. I spent the last 8-10 years of my life watching that happen. (JMO). ;)

What was it that Paul Harvey used to always say? Self government doesn't work without self discipline.

Actually. the biggest failures in the economy have been the governament regulated businesses. Such as banks, mortgage brokers and insurers (remember freddie and fannie?), etc. Ronald Reagan helped pull out of the recession in the 1980's with deregulation. The government should have no interest in private business, look at what is happening now.

Paulding is SO heavily tied to the housing industry [thank you very much King Jerry and Company] I am afraid locally we will be one of the last places to realize any sorrt of recovery as the recession starts to wind down in the next 18 to 24 months.

Had we concerntrated on building some nice industrial parks and encourage businesses NOT ASSOCIATED WITH THE HOUSING INDUSTRY to move to Paulding, things might be different.

But with 80% of our work force, [or even more now that the housing industry has totally tanked] leaving the county to go to work 10, 20, 30 miles or more away from home, the transportation industry will be reaping the rewards from our citizens.

I guess they could check into renting out some of the space in that Taj Mahal out on 278 ?

rofl

I agree :)

it's all good.......... Obama's gonna fix everything :rofl: :ninja:

Can't blame this one on Obama,try your county leaders that YOU voted for.....LOL

Edited by sammieswifey
I guess some people are still angry about the new building, but I for one am glad it was built. It's about time that we get something in this County that is nice and that we can be proud of. Paulding is always looking up at everyone else while they look down at us and laugh or worse. All anyone ever sees about us is stupid, crooked people doing stupid, crooked things, such as the recent embarrassing story out of Braswell. All other counties have nice buildings to do business in - we should have that too. I think the real problem here is the good 'ole boy system that still seems to embrace everything. My friend, who works for the County, told me that after the layoffs that occurred in March, the County turned around and hired two employees that were former employees of the new County Administrator. One was a director of a department that had not had a director for a couple of years. So if the department had gone two or so years with no director, why did it have to have one right after others lost their jobs to layoffs? It sounds like they laid off existing employees so they could hire a buddy to a high paying position to me. That is not good business, and the employees see it and know it. I wonder what the layoffs this week will clear room for. Our County just boots people out the door, some longtime, loyal employees, and give them nothing at all to thank them for their service. That's ridiculous and embarrassing for all of us, not to mention just plain wrong.

If it doesn't show, I am very angry with our County right now.

Infortunately they have to rub the backs of their supporters, it's not what you know anymore it's WHO you know

As someone who works in the private sector....but has very close ties to a lot of local county offices..... I can tell you that the ones that is getting laid off......are the the ones who are not preforming or they have been trying to get rid of them and couldn't. I worked with one jackbag and he should have been fired a year after he was hired. He has them snowed. But, the real workers know who it is and they don't give him anything to do, or they go to his boss and tell them...Hell...I even went and said he was usless! But he's under general funds position...and he won't go anywhere.... Hell, roads and bridges could collapse and he would find a way to blame it on someone else or run and hid.

pfft... It may piss some off.... but most of the county workers I have to deal with are just riding out thier jobs until retirement! :rolleyes: <_<

:rolleyes: I'm not blaming this on Obama......I'm not blaming this on the county official that I voted for.... He hasn't even been in office for a year. You also have 4 other commissioners tht vote!! NO WAY in HELL could he fix the CRAP that 8 years of SHEARIN got us into.

The Obama comment was to lighten things up.... Because everybody knows Obama's gonna fix it all! :lol: :p

rofl

I agree :)

Can't blame this one on Obama,try your county leaders that YOU voted for.....LOL

As someone who works in the private sector....but has very close ties to a lot of local county offices..... I can tell you that the ones that is getting laid off......are the the ones who are not preforming or they have been trying to get rid of them and couldn't. I worked with one jackbag and he should have been fired a year after he was hired. He has them snowed. But, the real workers know who it is and they don't give him anything to do, or they go to his boss and tell them...Hell...I even went and said he was usless! But he's under general funds position...and he won't go anywhere.... Hell, roads and bridges could collapse and he would find a way to blame it on someone else or run and hid.

pfft... It may piss some off.... but most of the county workers I have to deal with are just riding out thier jobs until retirement! :rolleyes: <_<

:good: Honestly, I have to agree with this. This is the first time maybe ever that the county jobs have taken a hit. Long overdue...

I guess some people are still angry about the new building, but I for one am glad it was built. It's about time that we get something in this County that is nice and that we can be proud of. Paulding is always looking up at everyone else while they look down at us and laugh or worse. All anyone ever sees about us is stupid, crooked people doing stupid, crooked things, such as the recent embarrassing story out of Braswell. All other counties have nice buildings to do business in - we should have that too. I think the real problem here is the good 'ole boy system that still seems to embrace everything. My friend, who works for the County, told me that after the layoffs that occurred in March, the County turned around and hired two employees that were former employees of the new County Administrator. One was a director of a department that had not had a director for a couple of years. So if the department had gone two or so years with no director, why did it have to have one right after others lost their jobs to layoffs? It sounds like they laid off existing employees so they could hire a buddy to a high paying position to me. That is not good business, and the employees see it and know it. I wonder what the layoffs this week will clear room for. Our County just boots people out the door, some longtime, loyal employees, and give them nothing at all to thank them for their service. That's ridiculous and embarrassing for all of us, not to mention just plain wrong.

If it doesn't show, I am very angry with our County right now.

I'm sure it isn't the building people would have been laughing at. As you said above, "all anyone ever sees about us is stupid, crooked people doing stupid, crooked things." Maybe that's what gets Paulding County laughed at. We should not have built that building at this time, period.