Paulding.com

Georgia man lands huge fish

From the AJ-C website (08-19-09)

Georgia man lands huge fish from Ocmulgee River

A 76-year-old man walked away from a fishing trip with a huge catch – a 103-pound flathead catfish.

Tom Head was fishing on the Ocmulgee River earlier this week when he caught the record size fish, which was over 57 inches long and more than 41 inches in girth, with a head that was almost 16 inches wide.

Unfortunately, it was not a record catch.

According to the Georgia DNR Wildlife Resources Division, even though Head’s fish beats the current state record weight by 20 pounds, it was caught using a method called “jug fishing,” which is not considered eligible for state record status.

Remainder of Story

monstercatfish_237215l.jpg

it's where they take a milk jug or a coke bottle and tie long thin 'rope' like string on it with a hook and bait on the end. The 'jug' acts like a cork. You just let them float around in the water.

Kinda like fishing on a trotline or a yo-yo fishing....

Yeah...I'm from Lousiana....and I might just be a redneck. :ninja:

it's where they take a milk jug or a coke bottle and tie long thin 'rope' like string on it with a hook and bait on the end. The 'jug' acts like a cork. You just let them float around in the water.

Kinda like fishing on a trotline or a yo-yo fishing....

Yeah...I'm from Lousiana....and I might just be a redneck. :ninja:

Thanks for the explanation, Ms. " Lousiana Redneck!" :D

Jug fishing is illegal in many states because some people don't come back to ckeck their jugs. (OMG the jokes I see coming about jugs!) Regardless, people do it all the time.

When I was about 6, my dad and I were at Allatoona and I saw this Clorox bottle that appeared to swim around in circles. Sometimes it would just disappear under the water. My dad just chuckled when I told him I wanted to catch this Clorox jug. I wanted to take it to my teacher to prove that I saw a real life LIVE Clorox bottle. He trolled over to it, I leaned out the side of the boat, and picked up the bottle. At first I didn't understand why the bottle was so heavy. Then..... this huge gar came out of the water with his mouth open and looked like he wanted me for breakfast. The godforsaken thing was probably as long as I was tall.

To this day, I refuse to buy regular Clorox. I only buy bleach that comes in a bottle that isn't white.

Being that big it might be to tough to fry...

Yum, not cut into nuggets! :D

Jug fishing is illegal in many states because some people don't come back to ckeck their jugs. (OMG the jokes I see coming about jugs!) Regardless, people do it all the time.

When I was about 6, my dad and I were at Allatoona and I saw this Clorox bottle that appeared to swim around in circles. Sometimes it would just disappear under the water. My dad just chuckled when I told him I wanted to catch this Clorox jug. I wanted to take it to my teacher to prove that I saw a real life LIVE Clorox bottle. He trolled over to it, I leaned out the side of the boat, and picked up the bottle. At first I didn't understand why the bottle was so heavy. Then..... this huge gar came out of the water with his mouth open and looked like he wanted me for breakfast. The godforsaken thing was probably as long as I was tall.

To this day, I refuse to buy regular Clorox. I only buy bleach that comes in a bottle that isn't white.

OMG, that is so funny!

Large size catfish can have parasites in them.... they dig into the flesh and grow there. So the meat can have worms in it.

:bad: Really?? Ive never heard that but I would assume all bottom feeders had parasites, but you can actually see the worms?? I think you have just damaged my love for catfish.....thanks :mellow: :lol:

:bad: Really?? Ive never heard that but I would assume all bottom feeders had parasites, but you can actually see the worms?? I think you have just damaged my love for catfish.....thanks :mellow: :lol:

On some of the larger ones, yes you can. That's why you never see huge catfish for sale or on menus.