Paulding.com

Weight Loss...

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've been around on P.com. Some may remember me as "June Johnson" which is my name, but changed my 'handle' to DoubleJ a while ago. Anyway, I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in September of 2008, and had to radically change my lifestyle. I was in total denial and quite angry at first, but after my initial rebellion, I realized I had to change or my life would be cut very short. To bring my blood sugar under control, I had to radically change my eating habits, and as a result, I have lost over 80 pounds since September by cutting out all sugar and greatly reducing carbs. I wanted to share some "before" and "after" pictures with you! The first two were taken in August of 2008, the last two were taken July 10, 2009. And I'm still losing!!!

100_1534.jpg

100_1552.jpg

071609-2.jpg

071609-1.jpg

Edited by Double J

Did your doctor put you on insulan or glucophage for the diabetes before you were able to start losing? I am asking because I am in a similar situation.

You look FABULOUS!!!!!

Other than the 2 things that you did, what else have you been doing? Have you been doing Weight Watchers?

I was told a week ago today that I need to drop at least 100 pounds due to a possible heart condition.

You are a true inspiration to me.

Congrats!!

You are an inspiration! I have been dieting a little over a month. I've lost 20 pounds so far, but I have hit a plateau. I know it will start back up, but right now, I am feeling a little discouraged. It helps to know someone is working at it and doing well. Gives me hope! :)

I'm doing the low carb thing too. No sugar either. It is a major change from my rice and beans we ate weekly.

FIRST I'd like to say THANK YOU to everyone! Your congrats and 'atta-boys' have made my day! :yahoo: I do feel great, I have great energy, I am doing things I haven't been able to do for YEARS, my knees and feet feel fantastic, I even stopped taking the glucosomine that I was taking for them and they still feel good. :good:

Did your doctor put you on insulan or glucophage for the diabetes before you were able to start losing? I am asking because I am in a similar situation.

MsGaStorm, upon diagnosis, my blood sugar was 311 (normal is 80-110) and my doctor put me right on Insulin shots...I had to take a shot of Humelog before each meal, plus a shot of Lantus at bedtime. I was also put on Metformin too. Most people say that insulin makes it hard to lose weight, but I was so obese that the weight just came off easily once I changed my eating habits. After I lost a bunch of weight, we stopped the Humelog and went on Januvia (a pill) instead. Then lost some more weight and stopped the Lantus as well. I am happy to report that I am now OFF SHOTS completely, and take one medicine, it's called Janumet and it's a blend of Januvia and Metformin.

Maybe someday I won't have to take any medicine at all!!! Here's hoping!!! :D

You are an inspiration! I have been dieting a little over a month. I've lost 20 pounds so far, but I have hit a plateau. I know it will start back up, but right now, I am feeling a little discouraged. It helps to know someone is working at it and doing well. Gives me hope! :)

I'm doing the low carb thing too. No sugar either. It is a major change from my rice and beans we ate weekly.

Congrats Mom, any loss is a cause to celebrate! I think I've been on a plateau for a while, but to be honest, I don't care. My goal is normal blood sugar, and that daily goal has been accomplished. The weight loss has been a fantastic side effect. I don't even own a scale! I was last weighed in April and I had lost 75lbs. I'm sure I've lost 5lbs since then, possibly more. Really, I've welcomed the chance to wear my clothes a little longer than 3 months. I've gone down 6 sizes and have had to replace my wardrobe twice. Goodwill is my FRIEND!!! LOL

Trust me, I miss my rice and beans too...and PASTA. You can have rice & beans in small portions, but pasta is just so high in carbs, it's just not an option for me. I'm a big girl, I wanna EAT so I fill up on meats & veggies!!!

Edited by Double J

Congrats! Weight is a battle I have fought all of my life. I'm blessed to not have other co morbidities that a lot of people have such a diabetes and high blood pressure. But that doesn't mean that one day I won't. You are an inspiration.

Congrats Mom, any loss is a cause to celebrate! I think I've been on a plateau for a while, but to be honest, I don't care. My goal is normal blood sugar, and that daily goal has been accomplished. The weight loss has been a fantastic side effect. I don't even own a scale! I was last weighed in April and I had lost 75lbs. I'm sure I've lost 5lbs since then, possibly more. Really, I've welcomed the chance to wear my clothes a little longer than 3 months. I've gone down 6 sizes and have had to replace my wardrobe twice. Goodwill is my FRIEND!!! LOL

Trust me, I miss my rice and beans too...and PASTA. You can have rice & beans in small portions, but pasta is just so high in carbs, it's just not an option for me. I'm a big girl, I wanna EAT so I fill up on meats & veggies!!!

My oldest son is losing weight the same way. Absolutely nothing except for meats and veggies .. He's lost 15 pounds in the last 3 weeks. He losing it so he can join the Marines later this year. But, any reason is a good reason :)

MsGaStorm, upon diagnosis, my blood sugar was 311 (normal is 80-110) and my doctor put me right on Insulin shots...I had to take a shot of Humelog before each meal, plus a shot of Lantus at bedtime. I was also put on Metformin too. Most people say that insulin makes it hard to lose weight, but I was so obese that the weight just came off easily once I changed my eating habits. After I lost a bunch of weight, we stopped the Humelog and went on Januvia (a pill) instead. Then lost some more weight and stopped the Lantus as well. I am happy to report that I am now OFF SHOTS completely, and take one medicine, it's called Janumet and it's a blend of Januvia and Metformin.

Maybe someday I won't have to take any medicine at all!!! Here's hoping!!! :D

Thank you for answering me DJ. My rheumatologist thinks my primary should have already started me on metformin, my primary keeps telling me to eat right, I've been doing that most of my life! I was a tiny person for most of my life until 7 years ago. So I have been wondering if the metformin might help me to lose enough weight to go without diabetes meds. Congrats on your success hun! Hugs.

Thank you for answering me DJ. My rheumatologist thinks my primary should have already started me on metformin, my primary keeps telling me to eat right, I've been doing that most of my life! I was a tiny person for most of my life until 7 years ago. So I have been wondering if the metformin might help me to lose enough weight to go without diabetes meds. Congrats on your success hun! Hugs.
Every medicine my Rheumotologist puts me on makes me gain weight...

This is great, I thougt I had done good by loosing 15 pounds... it all has to do with the change of eating habits..... I have not had a coke in a long time, I use to drink them a lot, but they don't even taste good now.... it has to do with a change of life choices... after a while, you don[t miss things.... Keep up the good work.....

Hey everyone, it's been a while since I've been around on P.com. Some may remember me as "June Johnson" which is my name, but changed my 'handle' to DoubleJ a while ago. Anyway, I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes in September of 2008, and had to radically change my lifestyle. I was in total denial and quite angry at first, but after my initial rebellion, I realized I had to change or my life would be cut very short. To bring my blood sugar under control, I had to radically change my eating habits, and as a result, I have lost over 80 pounds since September by cutting out all sugar and greatly reducing carbs. I wanted to share some "before" and "after" pictures with you! The first two were taken in August of 2008, the last two were taken July 10, 2009. And I'm still losing!!!

100_1534.jpg

100_1552.jpg

071609-2.jpg

071609-1.jpg

WOW! Good for you! You look great! Now if I can get myself motivated!