Paulding.com

Cost of treating obese patients soars to $147 billion

Thats why people that drive cars pay car tag tax and ad valorem and fisherman pay a fishing license etc

Smokers pay cigarette taxes, drinkers pay a tax on liquor etc etc etc.

Hey if those that use it tax them for it...

So in theory tax people who have children in school more than those who don't.

That would also fit into the "Perfect reasoning...tax those that use the system the most,the most in taxes." <_<

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The meaning here is that those that are overweight cost the medical system more then a average weight person.

So in theory you should some how tax those that are costing the system more due to there own excess weight problem.

Direct incentive to lose weight...

This is no different then taxing those that drink alcohol or those that smoke directly for their unhealthy habits at a higher rate.

Perfect reasoning... tax those that use the system the most, the most in taxes.

However, these reports do not separate those who have medical conditions due to weight issues and those who have weight issues due to medical problems. So, how do you tax those who have a medical condition which leads to obesity compared to those who simply overeat?

And what about those who eat less than the average person, but do not lose weight? And, yes, that does happen very often.

What about those who can only afford rice, beans, mac'n'cheese, etc. (cheap foods which happen to make you gain weight)? Are you going to tax people for buying the food they can afford to feed their family? Have you priced mac'n'cheese compared to fresh veggies? You can get a lot more meals from a box of that than you can buying fresh green beans.

Sadly, this is an issue that is not always in control of the individual afflicted. You can throw down the cigarettes and never touch one again and live fine. Same with alcohol. But food? Well, you gotta have food to survive and feed your children. Can't walk away from food. And, unfortunately, the healthy food is often out of the price range of those who would gladly choose it. Not all those with weight problems eat cookies and cakes and junk food. They just buy the groceries they can afford.

However, these reports do not separate those who have medical conditions due to weight issues and those who have weight issues due to medical problems. So, how do you tax those who have a medical condition which leads to obesity compared to those who simply overeat?

And what about those who eat less than the average person, but do not lose weight? And, yes, that does happen very often.

What about those who can only afford rice, beans, mac'n'cheese, etc. (cheap foods which happen to make you gain weight)? Are you going to tax people for buying the food they can afford to feed their family? Have you priced mac'n'cheese compared to fresh veggies? You can get a lot more meals from a box of that than you can buying fresh green beans.

Sadly, this is an issue that is not always in control of the individual afflicted. You can throw down the cigarettes and never touch one again and live fine. Same with alcohol. But food? Well, you gotta have food to survive and feed your children. Can't walk away from food. And, unfortunately, the healthy food is often out of the price range of those who would gladly choose it. Not all those with weight problems eat cookies and cakes and junk food. They just buy the groceries they can afford.

How about all the high fructose corn syrup added to foods? Have you ever seen what schools serve kids for lunch and breakfast? As a teacher, I used to eat school breakfast and lunch on a regular basis. I ballooned to 260, but once I decided to stop eating school food, my weight started to drop. I made a few other changes, started eating fruit and vegetables, limited red meat, and ate more fish and chicken. I've dropped close to 50 lbs and feel great. I haven't had a cold in over a year. However, it costs money to eat healthier, but the trade off is less visits to the doctor and less time missed at work.

Edited by TJB

I agree eating healthier is the way to go, but sometimes finances do not allow it. I know we went through tough times and lived on rice and beans for months. It was food and it was filling. And it makes you gain weight like nobody's business. But a pack of beans and a bag of rice can make several meals. If you are feeding one person, you can be a little choosy and cough up a little more sometimes for healthier foods. Not so easy if you have 4 or 5 people to feed, especially when so many are out of work.

From a nonsmoking, 5' 09" 168 lb. 40 something male, I'll put in my 2 cents worth. I view the healthcare system something like the auto insurance. If you are a truly bad risk then you need to go into a SR-22 type program where you can not be turned down but you will be charged higher rates. Since I work hard and stay fit, why should I not get a reduction off the standard rates. I get one for safe driving, no tickets, defensive driver courses. I agree with the thought of making those that use the system more often pay a little more. Who said they had to be penalized. Let's reward those who live a healthy lifestyle with rate reductions versus penalizing those who do not. Reward is a better motivator anyway. ;)

If people in general are having to go to the doctor that often they are also paying one way or another. How many people dont have to pay a co-pay or a percentage of their docs visit I know I do.. The whole concept is assinine.

I agree eating healthier is the way to go, but sometimes finances do not allow it. I know we went through tough times and lived on rice and beans for months. It was food and it was filling. And it makes you gain weight like nobody's business. But a pack of beans and a bag of rice can make several meals. If you are feeding one person, you can be a little choosy and cough up a little more sometimes for healthier foods. Not so easy if you have 4 or 5 people to feed, especially when so many are out of work.

I totally agree. Many of my students receive free or reduced school meals and many are overweight, if not obese. It's sad and I've never seen such overweight and out of shape kids in my life. I worry about their health as adults.

THIS is exactly was going to say...everyone doesn't NEED cigarettes :nea: everyone doesn't NEED alcohol :nea: but EVERYONE NEEDS FOOD!!! There is the 'hole' in the logic of this entire issue. Cigs & beer are optional to maintain life...food is not.

But taxing those that over indulge or taxing the items that cause this extra cost would be the way to have those that have the problem pay for it.

What way do you suggest to get those that fit this problem, and extra cost pay for it?

Why should I pay for a problem that is caused by an individual? They should pay for it some way... not me.

This is an avoidable problem that is costing millions of dollars. Very few have a disease associated with this problem and those that do would benefit from a reduction in weight.

THIS is exactly was going to say...everyone doesn't NEED cigarettes :nea: everyone doesn't NEED alcohol :nea: but EVERYONE NEEDS FOOD!!! There is the 'hole' in the logic of this entire issue. Cigs & beer are optional to maintain life...food is not.

I am no spring chicken (but in my mind I am :lol: ) and do have a few extra lbs and have lost about 5 lbs just walking and watching what I eat.

Simple easy.

I want a tax credit now.... :lol:

This is very true and I think is a big attribute of the weight issues in this country. I have recently started buying some organic and natural foods. But I can only afford to get so many of those things since they cost more than the unhealthier items. I would love to have be able to buy more, but I'm not as some would call "financially well off". And taxing people is just going to take away more of their money so that it makes it even harder yet for them to buy the healthier foods. Sorry, but I have to disagree with the statement that taxing the obese will be a "Direct incentive to lose weight... "

NE - Although very senseless, I understand your deduction in this matter -- but it is not going to fix the problem, especially by the government. The only entity that could aid in this, other than the people choosing to change their habits, is the food industry. If you want government to play any part regarding this issue, have them step in to regulate how the food industries manufactur their food.

This independent film explains it very well...

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&rel=1">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

Great video! I want to see the documentary. That is why we grow our own veggies. Why we have cows, hopefully we will soon have fresh meat. Why we get fresh eggs from real chickens. We are making the differences a little at a time. But everyone does not have the land to have these things. So, we punish them by making the food they can afford unaffordable? Why not insist that the food be made without the added items. No more hormones in the feed for the animals that produce our dairy and meat products. No added fat. Take out items the food companies add to make people healthier overall.

Great video! I want to see the documentary. That is why we grow our own veggies. Why we have cows, hopefully we will soon have fresh meat. Why we get fresh eggs from real chickens. We are making the differences a little at a time. But everyone does not have the land to have these things. So, we punish them by making the food they can afford unaffordable? Why not insist that the food be made without the added items. No more hormones in the feed for the animals that produce our dairy and meat products. No added fat. Take out items the food companies add to make people healthier overall.

Quite a few years ago, I was speaking to someone from a Central American country. He said people in his country ate what they wanted and didn't seem to gain weight. He thought it had something to do with all hormones put into our food.

I am no spring chicken (but in my mind I am :lol: ) and do have a few extra lbs and have lost about 5 lbs just walking and watching what I eat.

Simple easy.

I want a tax credit now.... :lol:

That would be great for most people but what about the ones of us that have food allergies.. I know I could live off of fruits and veggies if I wasnt allergic to most of them. I can not eat any fruit or veggies that have a high citric acid or vitamin c content.. So that kinda limits alot of diet foods. So what is your answer to that one? Just curious..

I limit my intake.... I walk about a mile a day on a treadmill, work in the yard and don't sit on my butt longer than I have too.

I stay busy doing things. Don't buy the junk food and eat what the Mrs. puts on the table and don't complain about it. We eat a light diet, lots of chicken and some fish. I am not a vegy person, but do get some and eat bananas and oatmeal.

Keep it simple and avoid the real junk food and it is not all that hard.

I'm confused..My BIL is at least 300lbs at 6ft2..But his cholesterol is only 121 :huh: I think he is talking about his LDL number :lol:

Don't count on it.

I'm a big girl...need to loose at least 100 pounds to no longer be considered obese but I just had all of my labs drawn and they came back Wonderful. No high cholesterol (even though it runs in my family), no high sodium, good sugar numbers...89 to be exact. Bascially, I'm in good health except for my weight.

Oddly enough, when I started eating my supper on a saucer...to control portion size, stopped all night time snacking and just started moving a little more...I was able to loose 3 pounds in one week.

Fat people can still be healthy people. :closedeyes:

Don't count on it.

I'm a big girl...need to loose at least 100 pounds to no longer be considered obese but I just had all of my labs drawn and they came back Wonderful. No high cholesterol (even though it runs in my family), no high sodium, good sugar numbers...89 to be exact. Bascially, I'm in good health except for my weight.

Oddly enough, when I started eating my supper on a saucer...to control portion size, stopped all night time snacking and just started moving a little more...I was able to loose 3 pounds in one week.

Believe it or not your cholesterol can be to low...If it is, it is a sign of other health problems..Even my sister who is a nurse said the same thing about her husband my BIL.

And the reason BIL is so healthy is because he eats to much..Thus the weight situation but he eats healthy..Lots of lean proteins and veggies...No processed CARBS...To me that explains why a HEAVY person can still be healthy.

I've seen some skinny, unhealthy people in my day ;) I've told my kids one of the things that makes a slow metabolism a blessing is that you actually pay attention to what you eat. " Skinny " runs in my family .. and most of them do not watch what they eat. On my dad's side out of 5 kids .. he is the only one still living. All from heart / cholesterol issues. When he had his major heart attack a few years ago .. he wasn't overweight at all. Just because you " can " eat bacon 5 times a day doesn't mean you should. :lol:

Don't count on it.

I'm in that same boat - doc declared me one of the healthiest fat people. It's not always about what I'm eating today - I'm paying for what I ate in college and the 90's.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Tax the FAT... whatever. Really!!! It is discrimination at it's very best. I just can't believe some of the comments that I read on here. Kinda makes you feel like you are in high school all over again.... out casting the fat people... make them pay a "special" tax that the skinny ones don't have to. BUT... if they were to tax the unhealthy food or whatever THEY deem necessary then anyone buying it would get taxed.... Gee that sounds more like... MORE TAXES. And I thought the next 4 years were all about "CHANGE". boy I bet some people feel stupid now. This is just another way for EVERYONE to be taxed.

OH I GOT IT.... the only ones that have to pay the fat tax are the actual fat people. If you are fat then you pay, if you aren't then you don't. The minimum wage people at the checkouts and drive-thru's will have a special button to push for the fat tax. I get it now. It is all coming together now. Silly isn't it!!!

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Tax the FAT... whatever. Really!!! It is discrimination at it's very best. I just can't believe some of the comments that I read on here. Kinda makes you feel like you are in high school all over again.... out casting the fat people... make them pay a "special" tax that the skinny ones don't have to. BUT... if they were to tax the unhealthy food or whatever THEY deem necessary then anyone buying it would get taxed.... Gee that sounds more like... MORE TAXES. And I thought the next 4 years were all about "CHANGE". boy I bet some people feel stupid now. This is just another way for EVERYONE to be taxed.

OH I GOT IT.... the only ones that have to pay the fat tax are the actual fat people. If you are fat then you pay, if you aren't then you don't. The minimum wage people at the checkouts and drive-thru's will have a special button to push for the fat tax. I get it now. It is all coming together now. Silly isn't it!!!

Thats why I'll have my wife drive the car at the drive thru's.She is much thinner than I am. :lol: I wonder if we can tax the stupid?

We will need a driver if we go anywhere!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Rent a skinny person to drive you through the drive thru!!!! We could start our own business in which we could TAX the people trying to avoid the FAT TAX! :o

The underweight or normal weight people will have to do the grocery shopping so the twinkies don't cost as much! Then you create more government jobs for those individuals to police the fat people who are scamming the government out of their FAT TAX! Then you need overseers of that red tape! LOOK JOBS!!!

McDonald's new menu

McFAT TAX MENU

Big Mac Value Meal BMI Prices

• Underweight = <18.5 $1.99 + no tax
  • Normal weight = 18.5-24.9 $1.99 + sales tax
  • Overweight = 25-29.9 $3.99 + sales tax, fat tax
  • Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater$3.99 + sales tax, fat tax, obese tax

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yes, it all does seem a little silly!

Way too many stupid people to tax them all...... :good:

:lol: :rofl: :rofl:

Thats why I'll have my wife drive the car at the drive thru's.She is much thinner than I am. :lol: I wonder if we can tax the stupid?

Way too many stupid people to tax them all...... :good:

:lol: :rofl: :rofl:

How about we just hand them signs so we know who the stupid ones are?

Sign companies would make a fortune... Just look a how they park and drive heck we could do away with all the taxes we have now.. :rofl: Then again we would have to give them to a few former presidents too. :lol:

Not to speak for NavyEagle but, in principle, with the burdens obesity place on the medical industry via emergency treatments that are not paid for, why the hell shouldn't obese (not fat, OBESE) folks shoulder the load IF other sectors of the population responsible for high health costs (smokers, drinkers) are expected to do so?

Self-control is self-control....a smoker can't control their nicotine addiction, a heavy drinker can't control their alcohol addiction, and an obese person (30% BMI or greater) is unable to control their caloric intake. I think what NE is saying, and I would agree, is that it's not in the least bit fair to punish only 2 of 3 very distinct groups. Is it a realistic thing to consider taxing junk food? Not at all. But, again, in principle no one should argue a bit.

mrnn

Sounds exactly like the War on Drugs to me. Punish the addict because that is far easier than controlling the source. It's worked so well with Crack and Meth, lets try it on Big Macs. It is just another TAX.

So in theory tax people who have children in school more than those who don't.

That would also fit into the "Perfect reasoning...tax those that use the system the most,the most in taxes." <_<

Yep... if you go by that line of thinking. If you don't have kids, or your kids are out of elementary, Junior or High School then you shouldn't be taxed (you pay tuition for colleges...so once the kid is out of the public system...no need for you to pay anymore). Oh, and if you home school your kids - you shouldn't be taxed because your not using the schools - so homeschool parents would need a form they could fill out so they could "opt out".

But going by your argument with overweight people --- it would then be fair that the only people paying taxes for schools would be people with kids IN schools. That....should raise your property tax....oh.....to $2000 or $3000 to make up for all those people that don't have kids or decide to homeschool to avoid the tax....

Great plan! :huh:

Where do we sign up?

We will need a driver if we go anywhere!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Rent a skinny person to drive you through the drive thru!!!! We could start our own business in which we could TAX the people trying to avoid the FAT TAX! :o

The underweight or normal weight people will have to do the grocery shopping so the twinkies don't cost as much! Then you create more government jobs for those individuals to police the fat people who are scamming the government out of their FAT TAX! Then you need overseers of that red tape! LOOK JOBS!!!

McDonald's new menu

McFAT TAX MENU

Big Mac Value Meal BMI Prices

• Underweight = <18.5 $1.99 + no tax
  • Normal weight = 18.5-24.9 $1.99 + sales tax
  • Overweight = 25-29.9 $3.99 + sales tax, fat tax
  • Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater$3.99 + sales tax, fat tax, obese tax

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Yes, it all does seem a little silly!

I'm suddenly picturing the Twinkies being located behind the counter. To purchase any --- you will have to provide your drivers license and they will fill out the form on you the same way they do if you buy one of those cold medicines that you can use to make Meth. If you exceed your monthly Twinkie Allowance....you will have to either be a fine....or maybe you should just be arrested --- once your in jail ---- they can put you on a diet until your BMI is back in the right range!

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

Well then I want you to pay for some of the things I have...

What is so wrong with those that use something paying for it and those that don't not having to pay for it.

That means that you want people to pay for things you use even though they will never use it.

So in your theory.... I get to come use your home and car without paying you for the use of it?

Don't fisherman pay a fishing license fee to fish?

Hunters a hunting license?

Drivers a drivers license?

Gas tax to drive the car?

Beer drinkers a liquor tax?

The list goes on and on...

If you don't drink you don't pay the tax do you?

You don't drive you don't pay the tax do you?

A users fee is paid for by the user of that facility or other item.

Why not change things to user fees? Because you want me to pay for something only you use? and I don't want to use.

Yep... if you go by that line of thinking. If you don't have kids, or your kids are out of elementary, Junior or High School then you shouldn't be taxed (you pay tuition for colleges...so once the kid is out of the public system...no need for you to pay anymore). Oh, and if you home school your kids - you shouldn't be taxed because your not using the schools - so homeschool parents would need a form they could fill out so they could "opt out".

But going by your argument with overweight people --- it would then be fair that the only people paying taxes for schools would be people with kids IN schools. That....should raise your property tax....oh.....to $2000 or $3000 to make up for all those people that don't have kids or decide to homeschool to avoid the tax....

Great plan! :huh:

Where do we sign up?

Well then I want you to pay for some of the things I have...

What is so wrong with those that use something paying for it and those that don't not having to pay for it.

That means that you want people to pay for things you use even though they will never use it.

So in your theory.... I get to come use your home and car without paying you for the use of it?

Don't fisherman pay a fishing license fee to fish?

Hunters a hunting license?

Drivers a drivers license?

Gas tax to drive the car?

Beer drinkers a liquor tax?

The list goes on and on...

If you don't drink you don't pay the tax do you?

You don't drive you don't pay the tax do you?

A users fee is paid for by the user of that facility or other item.

Why not change things to user fees? Because you want me to pay for something only you use? and I don't want to use.

Why not change things to user fees? Probably because I think your just taking a dig at people that are overweight. Once upon a time people use to make fun of the local drunk because it was "funny" to watch him drink too much and fall down. Now we know that alcoholism is a true disease and for the families dealing with it --- it's not so funny. BUT --- your mindset is that fat people are overweight because they eat too much junk food and if you punish them for it or point it out to them then maybe they'll realize what their doing and lose weight.

But being overweight is a disease too. Thyroids can cause it, metabolism can cause it, medications can cause it, even emotional issues can cause it. My FIL was overweight and was on a restricted diet for the last three or four years of his life - it didn't help him lose weight because the medications he took were known to cause weight gain. His circulation was bad because his heart was bad - he would retain so much water in his body at times that his legs doubled in size. He couldn't get up and excercise much because many days his legs would be so swollen that he could just barely move himself down the hall with a walker. Your thinking "make the fat people pay" is just cruel, rude, uninformed and just shows that while society has advanced in knowing what is poltically correct in some areas of humanity --- in others, we still have a long way to go.

JUst want to note that the medical costs for overweight people are over 147-Billion more then skinny people.

That is real money and just a bad for you. So This is not a dig at fat folks, but a dig at the money the fat people cost the system just like smokers and drinkers.

Stick that in you pipe and smoke it.

Being fat is not a disease... it is over elbowitis. Few true people have a disease that cause them to be overweight. <<< Fact

Alcoholism is a disease in that some people are more likely to have an addiction with little use.

Most people overweight have other issue that lead them to being like they are. Lazy, enjoying food and mental issues that lead them to eating more then they should. But a vast majority of overweight people are that way because they are lazy... << fact

I am just saying that you need to find a way to tax those that impact the system due to their own cause and effect.

We tax liquor... does that mean we should not tax it for the alcoholic because he has a disease?

If there was a way to directly increase the tax on foods that cause you to be overweight vice those that don't.

P.S. there are lots of excuses to being overweight.... I have seen quite a few very fat people lose a lot of weight that had bad knees, legs and other medical issues. >>> Being overweight can get you kicked out of the military and I worked in military medicine for over 20-years. There are ways to lose weight if you want too.

You just have to want to... (most just don't want to do it)

It is like quitting smoking you take one day at a time and work the weight off.

Making fat people pay is not cruel if it was then making smokers or alcoholic quit drinking or smoking is cruel.

It is time that we a country stop letting our kids get fat and lazy.

We have too many reasons why not to go outside and do something other then sit on the couch and eat and watch and play games.

I know until I was 30 something did I start sitting on the couch more and outside less.

Think about it. where do you spend most of your time and then look at your weight and then how it got to be where it is right now.

So somehow taxing those overweight is a way to help them control the problem they have. It did not happen all by itself.

tv

Why not change things to user fees? Probably because I think your just taking a dig at people that are overweight. Once upon a time people use to make fun of the local drunk because it was "funny" to watch him drink too much and fall down. Now we know that alcoholism is a true disease and for the families dealing with it --- it's not so funny. BUT --- your mindset is that fat people are overweight because they eat too much junk food and if you punish them for it or point it out to them then maybe they'll realize what their doing and lose weight.

But being overweight is a disease too. Thyroids can cause it, metabolism can cause it, medications can cause it, even emotional issues can cause it. My FIL was overweight and was on a restricted diet for the last three or four years of his life - it didn't help him lose weight because the medications he took were known to cause weight gain. His circulation was bad because his heart was bad - he would retain so much water in his body at times that his legs doubled in size. He couldn't get up and excercise much because many days his legs would be so swollen that he could just barely move himself down the hall with a walker. Your thinking "make the fat people pay" is just cruel, rude, uninformed and just shows that while society has advanced in knowing what is poltically correct in some areas of humanity --- in others, we still have a long way to go.

I'm suddenly picturing the Twinkies being located behind the counter. To purchase any --- you will have to provide your drivers license and they will fill out the form on you the same way they do if you buy one of those cold medicines that you can use to make Meth. If you exceed your monthly Twinkie Allowance....you will have to either be a fine....or maybe you should just be arrested --- once your in jail ---- they can put you on a diet until your BMI is back in the right range!

:ninja: :ninja: :ninja:

I wonder if you would be able to eat twinkies and drive? :unsure:

Proof that being overweight costs lots of money..

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-0...ofobesity_N.htm

Time to tax the over weight.... ;)

Nothing against anyone person... I think I have met a few Pcomers and about half fit here and half don't.

But it fits the tax those that use the medical system the most opinion. Just like taxing smokers and and drinkers.

It fits the sin tax idea..... If you over indulge you need to pay more for your indulgence.

I say tax those that cost the system the most. Just like smokers taxes and Liquor taxes, Tax that twinkie and ice cream and cake with a overweight tax... :lol:

Works for me....

Other article in same site:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/weight...?obref=obinsite

I don't create the news just share it....

Hmmmmmm, social engineering... gotta love it.... but preferably not.... History is resplendent with those who would decide what is best for society by altering or "inspiring" it's populous to behave "correctly" in order to conform to socitial idealisms. All, of course, supported with studies and cost saving to society analogies. It has been a genie that is best left in it's lamp as the magic can quickly get out of control...

But these arguements will of course fall on deaf ears, as they did in the 1920's and 30's in Europe, much to the sorrow of it's ethnic and disabled population. But please, continue...

I wonder if you would be able to eat twinkies and drive? :unsure:

Maybe we should just outlaw twinkies....course then....If they pulled you over....what happens if you have twinkie breath or a twinkie stash in the trunk of your car? Would they get you for Twinkie Intoxication??? :blink:

I just think it's funny that people think want to tax a class of people because of who they are. And to say that they are fat because they are lazy or just don't do anything about it is... well just silly in of it's self. To argue that fat people are causing a major strangle hold on the health care system is... well just silly. Healthy people get the same sicknesses and health related problems as overweight people do.

OK so tonight I had a steak, baked potato with butter sour cream and cheese and a salad with non fat free ranch dressing and cheese on it and a chocolate pie from Little Debbie and a glass of Whole Mayfield milk. SO....... Hey Denise, what is the tax I owe you for tonight's supper? I will happily pay you Tuesday for a big greasy cheesy burger today ;)

Hey why not Tax the Churches you would get more money than you would get from taxing fat people!

This topic needs to die or be moved into the political forum. Not to mention it REEKS of discrimination. :rolleyes:

JUst want to note that the medical costs for overweight people are over 147-Billion more then skinny people.

That is real money and just a bad for you. So This is not a dig at fat folks, but a dig at the money the fat people cost the system just like smokers and drinkers.

Stick that in you pipe and smoke it.

Being fat is not a disease... it is over elbowitis. Few true people have a disease that cause them to be overweight. <<< Fact

Alcoholism is a disease in that some people are more likely to have an addiction with little use.

Most people overweight have other issue that lead them to being like they are. Lazy, enjoying food and mental issues that lead them to eating more then they should. But a vast majority of overweight people are that way because they are lazy... << fact

I am just saying that you need to find a way to tax those that impact the system due to their own cause and effect.

We tax liquor... does that mean we should not tax it for the alcoholic because he has a disease?

If there was a way to directly increase the tax on foods that cause you to be overweight vice those that don't.

P.S. there are lots of excuses to being overweight.... I have seen quite a few very fat people lose a lot of weight that had bad knees, legs and other medical issues. >>> Being overweight can get you kicked out of the military and I worked in military medicine for over 20-years. There are ways to lose weight if you want too.

You just have to want to... (most just don't want to do it)

It is like quitting smoking you take one day at a time and work the weight off.

Making fat people pay is not cruel if it was then making smokers or alcoholic quit drinking or smoking is cruel.

It is time that we a country stop letting our kids get fat and lazy.

We have too many reasons why not to go outside and do something other then sit on the couch and eat and watch and play games.

I know until I was 30 something did I start sitting on the couch more and outside less.

Think about it. where do you spend most of your time and then look at your weight and then how it got to be where it is right now.

So somehow taxing those overweight is a way to help them control the problem they have. It did not happen all by itself.

tv

And suddenly as I read over your misinformed and prejudice statements in stating that fat people want to be that way and being overweight is not a disease.......an old saying comes to mind that I should have reminded myself of earlier....

“Never argue with an idiot. They’ll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.”

:nea:

My skinny, super athletic husband eats icecream and drinks coke. If we are gonna tax the "evil" fat people, it is going to affect the skinny like my hubby, too. I think diet is not the biggest problem, although it is a biggie, in our country. We are lazy. How many of us sit in front of the computer or tv everyday? We used to be out working and doing. And our kids are following in our footsteps. Hey, I know, maybe we could get a tax credit for exercising! hahaha. Personally, I think the gov needs to stay out of it. And I am one of those crazy democrats who love the word "tax." sheesh.