Paulding.com

daycare for a 6 week old

I am looking for a good daycare for a six week old.

I went into Reflections Learning Academy and got some info packets.

It seemed ok but, that's on the surface.

Can anyone tell me anything about the place ? :unsure:

Not sure about this place, but my sister has had her son in the Sunshine house off of 278 since he was an infant and I think she is very pleased with them. And the security there is good. Noone gets in without a pass code

No problem. I recommend your just "stopping by" for an unannounced visit just to ease some of your concerns.

Stop by more than once. I licensed Day Care Homes in Alabama and always made this recommendation to parents. Anyone can be on their best behavior/cleanliness, etc when they are expecting a visitor. I would ask specifically to check out the room and all areas that your child will be staying. Be alert and pay attention to the tiniest of details. If you have the opportunity to go during pick up times, talk to some of the parents. Although, I really doubt their child/ren would still be there if they had a complaint. GOOD LUCK!

I used to run daycares.

Ask to visit the infant room ( more than once as suggested,like you can't make your mind up).

See how many care givers are working with how many infants.

Is it 4/5 infants per one worker or 3 infants per one worker or 6 infants per one worker?Are there two workers in the infant room with how many infants?How much attention is each baby getting?If there is a black infant present or a Hispanice infant, is it getting as much attention as the white infants? No joke, I saw one place where the little black baby was ignored except for bottles. Anyone with that kind of a heart does not need to be working with babies no matter if they are white, purple or polka dotted. A baby is a baby is a baby.Amen.

How does it smell? The diaper genie should take care of the diaper smell and it will be emptied periodically too. Does it look clean? Smell good?Are there appropriate toys for the babies to play with to stimulate their brains and development? Are the workers talking to the babies in nice tones of voice? nIs the bleach smell too strong or not at all or very light?

Is there a report to go home to the parent at the end of the day about the baby's diaper changes, how many, what kind, what the baby ate and how much, if the baby was cranky or in a good mood? The parent needs a report each day so she will know whether a suppository is coming up on the list of needtodos soon, or if the baby is not eating well or if she is fretful all day.

How many diaper changes are the babies getting? Is it often enough?

Does each infant have its own bed?( I know, a no-brainer).Are the babies in the swings too much? (Keep in mind ,however, there are a few babies that will NOT go to sleep unless they are swinging,not really a good habit to get into,their feeties should not be dangling all that time).Are any workers on mats in the floor interacting with the babies?That is a good sign.

What is the policy on administering medicines to a sick baby?Read the policy manual for each place you are considering and see if you approve of their rules.

However, keep in mind , the state requires all those innoculations and there is not a big whole lot anyone can do to change the state's mind on innoculations.

Check the playground area.Does it look like there is enough play room and equipment for when your baby gets old enough to go outside?And by the way, most states require that the babies go outside for a short walk in a stroller or in arms also to give them a change of scenery and stimulate their brains.Is it fenced in for different age groups or the whole thing fenced in? IS THERE SOME SHADED AREA TO GET OUT OF THAT BLASTED SUN?Are the staff talking to the kids and playing some too or just sitting around talking?They need to be interacting with the kids as much as they can. Rules vary from center to center tho.

Are there enough balls, a water table or sand box, enough activities for the kids?

Are the infants read to too?All kids need to be read to.

Visit the older kids rooms and ask to see lesson plans or ask what activities the kids do.There should be a lot of planned activities, age appropriate, and enough toys for each child to have a choice in what it plays with. Is the room divided up into areas like a housekeeping area, a block area, a painting or art area and a library?Are they read to at least one time a day, preferably more?Is there music?And by the way, I like soft ,soothing music in the baby room too.

How often are the toys sprayed down with bleach?The more often they are sprayed, the fewer cold and virus germs are shared.

There are also home daycares where just a few kids are kept in a licensed home.Or you might can find a babysitter to come to your home, someone that loves your babyalready.

Some childcares have nannycams so you can check what your baby or child is doing while you are at work. I think these are great.

Look around and check several places out and you will have a basis to compare them by then.Just remember,enough staff, enough attention, a good report card for the parents every day, lots of toys and tons of interaction with adults and the other babies.

I highly recommend Grace Baptist Preschool.! :wub: They take infants from 6 weeks on up. They are wonderful there and the facility is extremely clean and nice. Shelby has been going there since she was in the 1 year old class and I got to see the people working with the babies and they are very qualified. The price is not any higher than any daycare and is definitely worth checking into! ;)

Scarlet

Send me a PM and I will get you info about a great daycare in Dallas. My daughter has been going there since she was 6 weeks old. She is now reaching 2 and will be leaving the infant/toddler room and we are very upset about it. The teachers in the infant/toddler are the best and we will miss them very much in 2 weeks when our little one moves to the 2 year old room.

Not sure about this place, but my sister has had her son in the Sunshine house off of 278 since he was an infant and I think she is very pleased with them. And the security there is good. Noone gets in without a pass code

My dd was at the Dallas Sunshine House several years ago for Pre-K and we LOVED it!! Very clean facility, friendly staff, and you're right - very secure!! Highly recommended!!

If its convenient to you check out the YMCA at 278 and 120. Its a great place.

I second that- My 6 month old goes there (will, he did until Summer Break. He'll be back in August). We checked every place in Paulding County, and felt best about the YMCA. Alot of school board employees and teachers use it, which says a lot for their program. Their preschool classes are incredible! Much better than any other Pre-K classes we checked out.

:angry: 6 weeks old should be home with mother, not in day care

Wow- why would you get on here and say something like that? Every family makes their own decisions about what's best for them...what makes you think you have the right to tell other people what they should be doing with their children? Both my husband and I work. As teachers, we don't make enough money for one of us to stay home. Besides- we love our jobs!

I second that- My 6 month old goes there (will, he did until Summer Break. He'll be back in August). We checked every place in Paulding County, and felt best about the YMCA. Alot of school board employees and teachers use it, which says a lot for their program. Their preschool classes are incredible! Much better than any other Pre-K classes we checked out.

All of the teachers at the YMCA (Aid's too) have to be 21 years of age and hold a CDA or higher to work there!! It makes all the difference in the world when your child is being taken care of by a trained teacher who has gone to school for Early Childhood Education. They are also undergoing their NAEYC Accreditation which makes their ratio's alot lower!! GREAT place for kids!!

Wow- why would you get on here and say something like that? Every family makes their own decisions about what's best for them...what makes you think you have the right to tell other people what they should be doing with their children? Both my husband and I work. As teachers, we don't make enough money for one of us to stay home. Besides- we love our jobs!

Well Said!!!!

Reflections off of Ridge Rd is also awesome. Kelly and Susan are the best! They run a grat daycare and my pre-K child loved going there. He was very upset when he found out that he wouldn't be going anymore after he finished pre-K and would be going to regular school next year.

I've heard good things about Reflections on Ridge Rd. I once visited the center when they first opened. However; Paulding Kids University was more convenient for my husband & I. My daughter has been there since she was 6 weeks old and now is 3 1/2. And lots of other people must like it too, because several children have been going to this same daycare since they were babies too. The directors and staff are great people. To this day, my daughter insists on stopping by the infant room to visit Ms. Pearl EVERY evening.

Oh good lord. Get a GRIP!!! Guess what "fairy tale land", that isn't an option for everyone

Then maybe you should wait to have a child until it is an option.

Hmm, then u of all people should know how much more important it is to have a child raised by having one parent at home. And don't try to say you don't, too many studies done to prove it is so. And again - being able to "AFFORD" to stay at home with your child shouldn't be an option.

When your child comes home with the flu, colds, infections, pink eye and more - don't complain about it. When you miss them roll over the first time, take their first step, cut their first tooth and so on - don't complain about it. It was your option!!!