Paulding.com

Traffic Light Cams on the Way Out

I saw a report last month about a state legislator going up against some his colleagues in the legislature about those traffic light cams. It seems that several years ago these cams were all the rage, with claims from our gov't that the cams were going to "make everyone safer" & would "make safety a #1 priority."

Bull. These cams were about one thing: $$$$$$$$$$. And lots of it.

Now these cams are bringing in the dough like they once were & municipalities are doing away with them.

In Dalton, for example, the cams in 2008 brought in $344,126 in revenue from fines & ran up costs of $283,574. The biggest cost? Man hours to review the film. But there are also rental & maintenance costs.

However, January 2009 brought $24,500 in revenue and rang up $23,834 in expenses. In February, the city took in $11,760 in fines from tickets issued for violations caught by the cameras and had expenses of $23,475.

What happened for the drop in revenue? The state of GA mandated a simple change: add a single second to all yellow lights. That's all. A single, solitary second.

Now all those rented red light cams are not bringing in the revenue. So cities are doing away with the cams.

My questions are: 1) If it was all about "public safety" why aren't the cities keeping the cams? 2) Since they are doing away with the cams, it looks like they were more about a revenue producer than a concern for public safety; & 3) If it only took a single second on the amber lights to fix most of the problem, something that was brought up as an alternative before all these cams were put in place, why didn't local gov't try that before going straight to the cams?

It sure does look like the cams were being sold to the public as a "we're here to help" when in reality it was "we're here to extract more cash from you."

More important is the privacy quesiton: what does the gov't do with all that info that it collected on all of us, without our consent? What will they use it for? When will it be destroyed? What guarantees does the public have that the info on where citizens will not be used in some way? Serious privacy questions.

Article about Dalton Traffic Cams

I wish they would leave the cameras in place and make the punishment something other than a fine....community service would be a great alternative. Many many people are seriously hurt by collisions in intersections every day....however they is not way to enforce it remotely without having the "its all about the money" appearance. That would solve both issues.....however....without the fines no one has the money to run the cameras.

Edited by Ugadawgs98
I wish they would leave the cameras in place and make the punishment something other than a fine....community service would be a great alternative. Many many people are seriously hurt by collisions in intersections every day....however they is not way to enforce it remotely without having the "its all about the money" appearance. That would solve both issues.

Or just add that single solitary second to the amber light & another second or two to clear the interesection before the new green light comes on.

That may fix some of the problem....not all.

I don't doubt that.

I do think that it is a more reasonable solution. Cheaper too.

And we don't have to worry about the privacy issues, a problem that would really leave us in a quandry in the future in the right scenario.

Or just add that single solitary second to the amber light & another second or two to clear the interesection before the new green light comes on.

:rolleyes: Yeah, let's give the scofflaws even more rope with which to hang the rest of us. The entertainment factor of riding with inexperienced drivers who are surrounded by careless, reckless, inattentive and just plain discourteous drivers is WAAAY overrated. <_<

Does this mean that those @$$holes at the city of Atlanta will have to refund my $75 for my wife running a red light by .002 of a second? Two thousandths of a second!!! A cop couldn't have possibly been able to determine this with the human eye. And BTW UGA, they are mainly for the revenue. That's why they are being sheeze canned. ;)

And BTW UGA, they are mainly for the revenue. That's why they are being sheeze canned. ;)

Maybe so....however people will make that claim about every traffic infraction until a few people die. Then they scream for increased enforcement as is is now punishment for bad driving.

I still think the technology is useful if it was utilized in a different manner which would give the public a different perception.

Edited by Ugadawgs98
Maybe so....however people will make that claim about every traffic infraction until a few people die. Then they scream for increased enforcement as is is now punishment for bad driving.

I still think the technology is useful if it was utilized in a different manner which would give the public a different perception.

Amen brother!

I think they were a GREAT idea!!!! I hate to see them removed!!! I guess they must have been working a little too good! No telling how many lives were saved and saved from serious injuries and trauma as a result of these. As far as any privacy issues........aren't these all on public roads, in public places? What kind of privacy could you possibly expect?

I honestly think the cams were originally installed as a "babysitter" for dangerous intersections...to get people to quit pushing their luck and running the lights. Also to get the tickets going and bring in revenue. You don't get any points or anything on your license for one of those tickets...you just pay the fine. That right there tells me it is as about the money, as it is about safety (maybe more for some jurisdictions).

I lived a mile from the reported "worst intersection" in the state of GA, for 13 years. I NEVER saw an accident there...NEVER. Weird...