Paulding.com

Attention Paulding County Citizens:

By now, I would hope that you are all taking the necessary precautions (removing valuable and locking vehicles) to protect yourselves from becoming victims of entering autos. However, this crime continues to take place involving UNLOCKED vehicles.

Autumn Creek subdivision off of Due West Rd fell victim to several entering autos last night. All of the vehicles were UNLOCKED. Ivey Springs subdivision off of Ivey Gulledge Rd fell victim to several entering autos over the weekend. All of the vehicles were UNLOCKED. Our investigations division received around 8 reports last weekend (April 24-26) of entering autos from the Bentwater area. All of the vehicles that were entered were left UNLOCKED. There are several other locations throughout the county that has seen an increase in this problem. This is not isolated to one part of Paulding County.

The trend that continues to be used is that these suspects seem to walk around in the neighborhoods after dark pulling door knobs until they locate an unlocked vehicle. They do not want to run the risk of making a lot of noise breaking windows or locks on the cars and jeopardize being caught. They want to get in and out as quickly and quietly as possible.

It is increasingly important that we get this information out to more of our neighbors. I urge you to forward this email to all of your contacts that live in Paulding County. I also urge you to talk to your neighbors about this increasing risk and urge them to join the Paulding County Neighborhood Watch website so that they too can be “informed.”

As always, we ask that you as citizens remain vigilant in preventing crime in your neighborhoods. Always remember to lock your car doors even when parked in your driveway. Also, remove all valuables from your car each night. We have reports of expensive valuables that were stolen from these unlocked vehicles.

· Park your cars in your garages if possible but remember to close and lock your garage doors.

· Use your outdoor lighting wisely if you leave your vehicles parked in your driveway.

· You can position your flood lights to shine directly on the area of the driveway where your car is parked.

· Use motion sensor lights to help control and limit an increase in your electric bill from your use of outdoor lighting.

These thieves do not want to be put on “display” for all of your neighbors to possibly see as they steal from your car that is illuminated by your flood lights. They will wisely use the “cover of darkness” to conceal their movements.

I would suggest that P.Commers take advantage of signing up for the PCSO Neighborhood Watch Newsletter

A good extra piece of information from the PCSO to your email box :good:

There were NO "hard hit" areas last night of entering autos. I would like to think that it is because people are now more aware of this problem and have taken the appropriate steps (i.e. locking car doors) to prevent this crime. There were only 3 entering auto reports received from over night. None of them were from the areas where we have seen the increase.

Please continue to spread the word to other family and friends of the steps that they can take to reduce their risk of becoming a victim. I hope to continue to see this decrease in entering auto crime throughout the weekend and coming weeks.

As mentioned above, motion sensing lights are a cheap and effective way of deterring theft. When a would-be thief is suddenly bathed with bright light he will usually stop what he's doing and run.

Electrical usage of these is negligible.

There is also a type of car alarm that is very inexpensive. When armed, they sense the current draw of the dome light when a door is opened. Cheap and easy to install.

As mentioned above, motion sensing lights are a cheap and effective way of deterring theft. When a would-be thief is suddenly bathed with bright light he will usually stop what he's doing and run.

Electrical usage of these is negligible.

There is also a type of car alarm that is very inexpensive. When armed, they sense the current draw of the dome light when a door is opened. Cheap and easy to install.

At least 2 of the areas hit in Saddlebrook were right under street lights, which is what concerns me about the situation. If these are the same thieves that were committing the acts above, then they are getting quite brazen.