Paulding.com

New Thrift Store law to take effect Feb.10th!

I have been talking with Andrea Watson, Director of Helping Hands as well as my Director of Benevloence,

Melinda Graham. I assure you The Thrift Stores of Choice, Inc is going to re-organize and if patrons contiue to shop everyday for adult items of clothing , as well as all of our other products and we can survive the recession as well as this change in Law. We will not give up!

We need letters and patitions to circulate the government.

We will continue to take vouchers for adult clothes, but have task of selling more adult clothes to make up the loss and stay in Business and pay overhead costs, because I REFUSE TO RAISE MY PRICES! I have not done so in almost eight years and I don't intend to do it now!

Thank you for your continued Patronage!

I don't understand why we are just now hearing about this. It is going into effect in a month.

The lead issue I understand, but my goodness. We all grew up with toys being handed down and we don't have third arms growing out of our bodies. The less government in my life the better! But what do I know?

I don't understand why we are just now hearing about this. It is going into effect in a month.

The lead issue I understand, but my goodness. We all grew up with toys being handed down and we don't have third arms growing out of our bodies. The less government in my life the better! But what do I know?

That's what I was thinking, hell I grew in home that had lead solder in the pipes, lead paint on the walls, asbestos in the floor tiles, asbestos in the schools I went to. It wasn't until my senior year that the schools I went to had the asbestos removed. I turned out fine without any problems and so did pretty much everyone I went to school with and grew up with.

I have been talking with Andrea Watson, Director of Helping Hands as well as my Director of Benevloence,

Melinda Graham. I assure you The Thrift Stores of Choice, Inc is going to re-organize and if patrons contiue to shop everyday for adult items of clothing , as well as all of our other products and we can survive the recession as well as this change in Law. We will not give up!

We need letters and patitions to circulate the government.

Selling "Used" toys, I found is out is GOING TO BE A THING OF THE PAST, no way around that! The law can be ammended to save clothing if it is done before the law goes into effect Feb.10th!

As of now we are not taking any more toys.

This is uncharted territory for America and if it is not AMMENDED we will have to pay high prices for anything CHILD UNDER 12 YEARS OF AGE! Mandates to to test existing product lines in stores that have thousands of the same item easier than one of a kind in Thrift stores and Consignment Stores. New products will have to carry a "Lead-FREE CERTIFIED" label to be sold and this will COST YOU more $$$$

We will continue to take vouchers for adult clothes, but have task of selling more adult clothes to make up the loss and stay in Business and pay overhead costs, because I REFUSE TO RAISE MY PRICES! I have not done so in almost eight years and I don't intend to do it now!

Thank you for your continued Patronage!

I had heard about this on WND and that it could put some business out of commission.

What really burns me up about this is the fact that this all began with the lead and poison in toys, formula and clothing from CHINA, not here. No thrift store can survive w/o selling kids clothing and toys and alot of American families won't be able to cloth their kids. How can this be OK? Can Congress really be so stupid to let this into effect the way it is written now? Oh wait...THAT was a stupid question! :wacko:

CPSC Clarifies Requirements of New Children's Product Safety Laws Taking Effect in February

Guidance Intended for Resellers of Children's Products, Thrift and Consignment Stores

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In February 2009, new requirements of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA) take effect. Manufacturers, importers and retailers are expected to comply with the new Congressionally- mandated laws. Beginning February 10, 2009, children's products cannot be sold if they contain more than 600 parts per million (ppm) total lead. Certain children's products manufactured on or after February 10, 2009 cannot be sold if they contain more that 0.1% of certain specific phthalates or if they fail to meet new mandatory standards for toys.

Under the new law, children's products with more than 600 ppm total lead cannot lawfully be sold in the United States on or after February 10, 2009, even if they were manufactured before that date. The total lead limit drops to 300 ppm on August 14, 2009.

The new law requires that domestic manufacturers and importers certify that children's products made after February 10 meet all the new safety standards and the lead ban. Sellers of used children's products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards.

The new safety law does not require resellers to test children's products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold. However, resellers cannot sell children's products that exceed the lead limit and therefore should avoid products that are likely to have lead content, unless they have testing or other information to indicate the products being sold have less than the new limit. Those resellers that do sell products in violation of the new limits could face civil and/or criminal penalties.

What really burns me up about this is the fact that this all began with the lead and poison in toys, formula and clothing from CHINA, not here. No thrift store can survive w/o selling kids clothing and toys and alot of American families won't be able to cloth their kids. How can this be OK? Can Congress really be so stupid to let this into effect the way it is written now? Oh wait...THAT was a stupid question! :wacko:

To bad China does not have as much problems with our goverment as we do. <_>

The new safety law does not require resellers to test children's products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold. However, resellers cannot sell children's products that exceed the lead limit and therefore should avoid products that are likely to have lead content, unless they have testing or other information to indicate the products being sold have less than the new limit. Those resellers that do sell products in violation of the new limits could face civil and/or criminal penalties.

Who determines if a product is likely to have the lead content or not?

are you sure???? I think I saw a third arm at lunch....

That is exactly what I was thinking....hmmm, maybe we should payback the billions of dollars that we owe China and stop inporting the crap!

Does this also mean you can no longer donate children's clothing and toys to shelters and other organizations? I guess those organizations will not be able to distribute any baby items for those in need?

I am going to dig deeper, but according to what my friend found out.....she sells tons of childrens items on ebay. There will be no more children anything, clothes, toys, car seats, nothing sold at thrift stores, church sales, yard sales, ebay, craigslist....can't sell them anywhere.

I am wondering about the kidney foundation though....I have donated alot of clothing to them. It is my understanding that they do not resale the clothing, but recycle the fabric.

I don't know about donating to homeless shelters and battered womens shelters. If they are included as well, what are they supposed to do?

I understand being safe, but I think this is going a little too far....if these items are that hazardous, they should have never been allowed in the country to begin with.

Google:

"Consignment and Thrift stores in the clear in new lead law"

you will like what you read :)

According to what I found through this search, it looks like thrift stores and consignment shops are in the clear

http://www.abc2news.com/news/local/story/C...fA.cspx?rss=702

Today, the Consumer Product Safety Commission clarified the law. The CPSC says, "Sellers of used children's products, such as thrift stores and consigment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards."

A case in point for those who craft ... and the Consumer product safety commission and law.

You are covered by the law.

You can't make a baby 'cape' out of asbestos and sell it. You can't make it out of fabric soaked in gunpowder and alcohol and sell it.

If you did and you were sued more than three times in two years, you'd have to report that. And you'd have to report that you made a dangerous product.

In general, though, you'd are pretty much required to report what you do if you do something stupid.

So, don't make something stupidly. don't pain a baby rattle with lead paint. Don't make a baby toy with lead paint. Package the ceramic doll you make with lead paint as an adult collectible.

Notably, the legions of folks who sell (and buy and sell) on ebay, in yard sales, etc. are all not going to be prosecuted and sent to federal prison. Seriously, if they planned on doing something like that, it would be a major disaster that wouldn't work.

Know why it wouldn't work?

Your honor, I want a jury trial.

Folks, are you going to convict your neighbor for selling their second hand shoes?

No, and if I'm the jury foreman I'm going to get verbal with the prosecutor and berate him about how #$%@&^@ STUPID he/she is for bringing this kind of action and costing me the time and effort.

The jury system is the ultimate protection from stupid laws. REMEMBER THAT.

pubby

A case in point for those who craft ... and the Consumer product safety commission and law.

You can't make a baby 'cape' out of asbestos and sell it. You can't make it out of fabric soaked in gunpowder and alcohol and sell it.

If you did and you were sued more than three times in two years, you'd have to report that. And you'd have to report that you made a dangerous product.

In general, though, you'd are pretty much required to report what you do if you do something stupid.

So, don't make something stupidly. don't pain a baby rattle with lead paint. Don't make a baby toy with lead paint. Package the ceramic doll you make with lead paint as an adult collectible.

Notably, the legions of folks who sell (and buy and sell) on ebay, in yard sales, etc. are all not going to be prosecuted and sent to federal prison. Seriously, if they planned on doing something like that, it would be a major disaster that wouldn't work.

Folks, are you going to convict your neighbor for selling their second hand shoes?

No, and if I'm the jury foreman I'm going to get verbal with the prosecutor and berate him about how #$%@&^@ STUPID he/she is for bringing this kind of action and costing me the time and effort.

pubby

The whole thing seemed a little surreal the last few days, I am glad someone clarified the situation and things can get back to normal

CPSC Statement

"The new law requires that domestic manufacturers and importers certify that children’s products made after February 10 meet all the new safety standards and the lead ban. Sellers of used children’s products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards.

The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold. However, resellers cannot sell children’s products that exceed the lead limit and therefore should avoid products that are likely to have lead content, unless they have testing or other information to indicate the products being sold have less than the new limit. Those resellers that do sell products in violation of the new limits could face civil and/or criminal penalties."

In other words, you don't have to test products, you just have to "know" that they meet the new limit. Clear as mud.

pubby

The new law does not address asbestos or gunpowder, just testing for lead and some plastic compounds in items intended for children 12 and under. And the penalty is not jail, it's tens of thousands in fines.

As far as the jury trial, how many thousands of dollars in attorney's fees will it cost to watch that jury foreman to get verbal with the prosecutor?

This new law is another example of how our liberal government is "taking care of us". They think we are so stupid and they must protect us from ourselves. The gov't. has taken away more and more of our rights in the name of "protection". The best thing that could happen is we vote out the idiots who are running the ship. Look at the economic mess we are in now. Who caused it? Our congress makes the laws. Where is the sanity. They all act like they are holy-than-thou and it is THEIR money they are spending. Why hasn't there been a big push on putting higher taxes on alcohol? Why is there not more medical call for what alcohol does to you and it's dangers like there is for smoking? It's because most of our congress members are lushes and boozers. Does Ted Kennedy smoke? NO. Does Ted Kennedy drink? BOOZER!