in what direction is our county going  

231 members have voted

1. 1. are we moving ahead or backwards

• down the drain
    • nothing will change
    • its looking up
    • up up and away

What do you think?

Paulding county Public Safety Director has steeped down today.

There is a new commissioner coming in.

In what direction do you see this county going ??????

By the way I am not complaining I am just wanting to know what everyone else thinks

If we have survived the past 8 years of a really questionable administration, coupled with an absolute lack of understand of bringing industry and JOBS to Paulding, Austin can only go up from where we were.

I look forward to seeing what CAN happen if all the powers that be pull in the same direction.

What do you think?

Paulding county Public Safety Director has steeped down today.

There is a new commissioner coming in.

In what direction do you see this county going ??????

By the way I am not complaining I am just wanting to know what everyone else thinks

Usually when there is a change is administration, there are also personnel changes so I am not at all surprised about this. I am very proud of the direction in which our county is headed, am proud of what the past administration has accomplished and look forward to the new administration. I believe that David Austin as well as the Board of Commissioners will continue to represent our citizens well and that we have a lot of positive things to look forward to. I personally am very proud to be a citizen of Paulding County.

Usually when there is a change is administration, there are also personnel changes so I am not at all surprised about this. I am very proud of the direction in which our county is headed, am proud of what the past administration has accomplished and look forward to the new administration. I believe that David Austin as well as the Board of Commissioners will continue to represent our citizens well and that we have a lot of positive things to look forward to. I personally am very proud to be a citizen of Paulding County.

Great post! I agree 100%.

Our County will be making progress this year. It will be a positive change. David will keep us informed and, along with the other BOC, will do what's right for the County to grow. They have a lot to do to regroup the administration but we all must be positive and do our share to support the BOC and make sure they know our concerns are followed within reason. I'm very optimistic about our new County administration.

Let me first state...I'm not bashing the county or the new administration. But we have the same problems we have always had; jobs in county(a very high % travel to work) Infrastructure(resovour, sewage,etc) and lack of Industry. Dont get me wrong, we have made great strides, but we have to move past being a 'Bedroom Community. It'll take higher taxes to do this. Its inevitable.

Edited by heyyourblockingmyview
wyane smith He was the head of animal control, 911, Marshals, and fire department

we probably didn't need anyone in this position.. Ac could be run out of the Sheriffs office and we don't need "Marshalls" that was the comm. office trying to start a county police that the commish could control. 911 would work under the fire dept.. Now that they are "fully" funded.... <_< :lol:

really we have an opportunity to cut out duplicate management.

bb

If we have survived the past 8 years of a really questionable administration, coupled with an absolute lack of understand of bringing industry and JOBS to Paulding, Austin can only go up from where we were.

I look forward to seeing what CAN happen if all the powers that be pull in the same direction.

So the airport, a national award winning industrial park project plan, 50+ acres added to Industrial Park North, 3 new office/industrial parks in development or in construction stages, and one of metro Atlanta's largest commercial developers currently looking for large tracts of land IN Paulding County to build something the size of Wildwood Office park, a complete lack of understanding of what needs to be done to bring industry to Paulding? Plus a major expansion of higher education? Come on surepip, you have got to do better then that! What more do you want?

Granted, we are not where we need to be as far as jobs and job growth, but look back at how things were 10 years ago? Major progress has been made in this County, but no one wants to give the proper people any credit for doing so.

I'm not taking up for or cutting prior administrations of this County, but for 50 years this County has been turning away industrial development. Only in the last 8 years has that been changing, and it may be another 8 years before we see any major improvements. Maybe longer with current economic conditions.

On top of all that, the largest green space preservation deal to happen in the US in years.

The groundwork has been laid so that this County CAN grow. There is so much going on right now on many different levels, it just amazes me! I have high expectations that David Austin will do great things for our County. Changes are being made. Only time will tell if it was for the good or made matters worst! But he is only one man. It takes a community to make any real changes! We ALL must do our part.

we probably didn't need anyone in this position.. Ac could be run out of the Sheriffs office and we don't need "Marshalls" that was the comm. office trying to start a county police that the commish could control. 911 would work under the fire dept.. Now that they are "fully" funded.... <_< :lol:

really we have an opportunity to cut out duplicate management.

bb

I have heard rumor that David austin wants to do away with the Department of Public Safety completely. The Fire Department can stand alone while Animal Control,911 and Marshalls could be under the Sheriff.

The Marshalls could just become a code enforcement division in the SO. Like you said, the commisioners were trying to control policing in the county when that department was created. I am glad Bruce Harris took care of that.

I am expecting a leaner and meaner BOC. From what I understand, that started a couple of months ago when the Fire Station contract wasn't just blindly approved as in the past. It requires a lot less work to just go with the first price you get. I don't know if the previous BOC was lazy, just didn't care or if some of them were lining their pockets. Regardless, they were not doing what they were being paid to do.

Hope to hell all the good old boy sheesh stops with the new boc. They were too friendly wiht groups that got in trouble for underhanded stuff. Facility group comes to mind. And all those connections. The boc members were all in business partnerships with bankers and builders and developers. Hell, the old chamber of commerce guy was head of a local bank too. How more corrupeted can they get?

So the airport, a national award winning industrial park project plan, 50+ acres added to Industrial Park North, 3 new office/industrial parks in development or in construction stages, and one of metro Atlanta's largest commercial developers currently looking for large tracts of land IN Paulding County to build something the size of Wildwood Office park, a complete lack of understanding of what needs to be done to bring industry to Paulding? Plus a major expansion of higher education? Come on surepip, you have got to do better then that! What more do you want?

Granted, we are not where we need to be as far as jobs and job growth, but look back at how things were 10 years ago? Major progress has been made in this County, but no one wants to give the proper people any credit for doing so.

I'm not taking up for or cutting prior administrations of this County, but for 50 years this County has been turning away industrial development. Only in the last 8 years has that been changing, and it may be another 8 years before we see any major improvements. Maybe longer with current economic conditions.

On top of all that, the largest green space preservation deal to happen in the US in years.

The groundwork has been laid so that this County CAN grow. There is so much going on right now on many different levels, it just amazes me! I have high expectations that David Austin will do great things for our County. Changes are being made. Only time will tell if it was for the good or made matters worst! But he is only one man. It takes a community to make any real changes! We ALL must do our part.

Sorry D-Dawg,

You can sing their praises all you want, but the past administration did nothing to actually try to bring business and industry to Paulding and even went out of their way to stop some projects. Of this I know 1st hand.

Yes, I supported the airport and know it can be a big plus on some lists of what certain businesses want to see when looking for space. Some nice A+ industrial business and office parks will be required before we see high paying jobs moving here. What I saw over and over again were numerous blind zoning of prime industrial land to PRDs, now for the most part sitting empty. And I will continue to disagree when you state how the BOC must approve all of those zonings or end up in court. How many suits are they dealing with now?

We pay to be a part of the Coosa Valley Development Authority, and then ignore their recommendations so business buddies of sitting commissioners can get their PRDs approved on land which should have gone for industrial.

We have an IBA, with money in the bank, which has never built an industrial building, nor made much of an effort to.

The leadership chose to go with the building industry, putting all the eggs into one basket. That basket bottom broke, and now our eggs are gone. With so much of the disposable income from Paudling paying for transportation to get to and from work there is little money left to spend at the local stores and eating joints. So more and more close.

But don't get me wrong. I think we have some BOC members now who are prepared to move forward trying to get industry and well paying jobs to come to Paulding.

You have the right to disagree with me, as I have the right to disagree with you. You have removed yourself from the circle of activities, I have not. There is more going on then you know about, that hasn't been made public.

If you will re-read my statement, I said that the "ground work" has been laid because of the hard work of the BOC. The new BOC will now have to pick up the ball and run with it, but they are years ahead of the process because those before them.

I also said

I'm not taking up for or cutting prior administrations of this County,
. You can look at it either way, I'm just stating facts.

Sure there were mistakes made, what human doesn't make mistakes? And many other things could have been handled better. There were a lot of things I didn't think were too smart, but they didn't ask my opinion. I agree with you on Palisades, it would have made a great location for an industrial park. So would have all the land along Bill Corruth Pkwy. The Chamber tried to tie all that up with industrial zoning many years ago, but some prior BOC members saw different.

Will the new BOC correct the ways of the past? Only time will tell. One thing is certain, they will not and can not please everyone. Just not possible. Someone will always have an issue with anything! Will this County continue it's pattern of growth? You can bet some money on that it will, when is the big question.

There were some good things done for this County in the last 8 years, more then in the prior 50 years. Hopefully the next 4 or 8 years will continue to see good things!

But for you to say that the prior BOC did nothing to improve this County is just plain wrong!

Edited by D-Dawg
You have the right to disagree with me, as I have the right to disagree with you. You have removed yourself from the circle of activities, I have not. There is more going on then you know about, that hasn't been made public.

If you will re-read my statement, I said that the "ground work" has been laid because of the hard work of the BOC. The new BOC will now have to pick up the ball and run with it, but they are years ahead of the process because those before them.

I also said . You can look at it either way, I'm just stating facts.

Sure there were mistakes made, what human doesn't make mistakes? And many other things could have been handled better. There were a lot of things I didn't think were too smart, but they didn't ask my opinion. I agree with you on Palisades, it would have made a great location for an industrial park. So would have all the land along Bill Corruth Pkwy. The Chamber tried to tie all that up with industrial zoning many years ago, but some prior BOC members saw different.

Will the new BOC correct the ways of the past? Only time will tell. One thing is certain, they will not and can not please everyone. Just not possible. Someone will always have an issue with anything! Will this County continue it's pattern of growth? You can bet some money on that it will, when is the big question.

There were some good things done for this County in the last 8 years, more then in the prior 50 years. Hopefully the next 4 or 8 years will continue to see good things!

But for you to say that the prior BOC did nothing to improve this County is just plain wrong!

You are correct D-Dawg!!! And I'm sure David Austin and the new administration will continue to do great things for our wonderful county!

You are correct D-Dawg!!! And I'm sure David Austin and the new administration will continue to do great things for our wonderful county!

I agree.

But we also need to remember that the economic situation right now is not conducive for business growth. Improvements and growth will not happen overnight. The BOC can't work miracles. They will have to try and keep cost under control and cut spending where practical. One thing we don't need is another property tax increase because of mistakes of the past BOC. The biggist disappointment, of which there is no excuse, is the attempt by the previous leadership to further Paulding as a bedroom community. Yes, I know we have an airport but what good is it with no terminal, etc. and we have an industrial park but look at the numbers. More subdivisions were allowed than effort for industry. If you doubt me look at who gave contributions to our former leader. It will be YEARS before the existing subdivisions will be completely built out. Logic, common sense and sound leadership are needed and self serving and greed are not. Keep the faith, be patient and give the new administration a chance. It's only January 10th.

I agree.

But we also need to remember that the economic situation right now is not conducive for business growth. Improvements and growth will not happen overnight. The BOC can't work miracles. They will have to try and keep cost under control and cut spending where practical. One thing we don't need is another property tax increase because of mistakes of the past BOC. The biggist disappointment, of which there is no excuse, is the attempt by the previous leadership to further Paulding as a bedroom community. Yes, I know we have an airport but what good is it with no terminal, etc. and we have an industrial park but look at the numbers. More subdivisions were allowed than effort for industry. If you doubt me look at who gave contributions to our former leader. It will be YEARS before the existing subdivisions will be completely built out. Logic, common sense and sound leadership are needed and self serving and greed are not. Keep the faith, be patient and give the new administration a chance. It's only January 10th.

The airport terminal building is coming. The design has been or was close to being finalized last month. They are working on funding and a few other issues. You may thank our dear Governor for that delay!

The County currently has 3 standing and operating industrial parks, 2 more under construction, 3 more planned. That is just what I have found out about. There may be more in the early stages of development. But you can have 10,000 industrial parks, but until someone wants to move or start their business here, they are just empty ground.

I agree with you about

previous leadership to further Paulding as a bedroom community
, but it wasn't the most recent one. Keep in mind that a landowner has the right to do what they want with it (within reason of course). If there is a growing need for office/industrial space, someone will build it. If the need is for housing, that is what gets built. You cannot force a person or business to building something they cannot sell. If we are willing to pay for additional property tax increases, the County could build 100 industrial/office parks. But that doesn't mean anyone would move there.

Some of our largest local builders got together a couple of years ago to build one of the largest industrial parks in the County. But before they could fully open it, the economy changed. Hang in there, this will change and we will see industrial growth again.

And yes, it will take years to build out all the approved building lots out there. Again, keep in mind that it takes an average of three years from start of the development process to the stage where you see houses being built. There wasn't anyway to know that the collapse of the mortgage and housing market was going to be so severe, especially three years before hand. A lot of good people have lost their businesses and their personal homes because of this. But this is "The Market" and it will always correct it's self, sooner or later.

Every time I see or hear the term "grow", I ask myself what exactly does that mean. Here is what I have observed about "growth" in the last 20 years. I do not live or want to live in Gwinett County because it "grew", the same for Cobb. I do not know what Clayton County grew in to, but I want no part of that either. Look what's happened to Henry. I like Paulding County without "industry, or warehouses or any other thing that will destroy the county. Whoever thought an airport would be a good idea, well it was not me. Why can't Paulding be the green space leader of the metro area? What's wrong with family neighborhoods, corner stores, and nice schools? I would pay higher taxes to stop developing our county. It needs a little work to clean it up, and infrastructure improvements, but for my part, no more "growth" if it means I can't get from point "A" to point "B" and will get shot in a "drive-by" along the way. JMHO

• 2 weeks later...

D-Dawg you must have friends in high places, or you have a money tree in your backyard. Just exactly how much did you property taxes increase last year? Mine as most paulding residents were burdened with the largest tax increase in history approx. 27.2% . As for the largest green space issue the voters of paulding aked for it, I wouldn't give the old BOC so much credit for that.

Edited by dapandlap
D-Dawg you must have friends in high places, or you have a money tree in your backyard. Just exactly how much did you property taxes increase last year? Mine as most paulding residents were burdened with the largest tax increase in history approx. 27.2% . As for the largest green space issue the voters of paulding aked for it, I wouldn't give the old BOC so much credit for that.

I have lived in this County for over 20 years and a business owner for more then 10. I have been active in community affairs, Chamber of Commerce, and many other civic and community events for most of that time. Yes, I have come to know most of those that are in "high places". You could too if you get involved in the community.

An equal number of the residents saw little to no increase in their taxes due to decreased values. ALL the tax increases were passed by a majority vote by the residents of this County. Maybe if more people had gotten involved to fight the tax increases, they may not have passed, but it's too late to complain afterwards. Even with the increases, Paulding County still has the lowest millage rate in the Metro Atlanta area.

I'm still looking for that money tree. If you find one, will you share it with me?

I have lived in this County for over 20 years and a business owner for more then 10. I have been active in community affairs, Chamber of Commerce, and many other civic and community events for most of that time. Yes, I have come to know most of those that are in "high places". You could too if you get involved in the community.

An equal number of the residents saw little to no increase in their taxes due to decreased values. ALL the tax increases were passed by a majority vote by the residents of this County. Maybe if more people had gotten involved to fight the tax increases, they may not have passed, but it's too late to complain afterwards. Even with the increases, Paulding County still has the lowest millage rate in the Metro Atlanta area.

I'm still looking for that money tree. If you find one, will you share it with me?

I guess this includes cases where thousands of dollars were donated by out of county and even out of state organizations to help defeat the citizens of this county that had already voted the school bond down once.

I do like the fact that pretty much every one of the elected officials that helped push the school bond through on the double jeopardy vote have been voted out of office. Nothing but a bunch of crooks.

I guess this includes cases where thousands of dollars were donated by out of county and even out of state organizations to help defeat the citizens of this county that had already voted the school bond down once.

I do like the fact that pretty much every one of the elected officials that helped push the school bond through on the double jeopardy vote have been voted out of office. Nothing but a bunch of crooks.

In lieu of at least an indictment, that statement is at best premature. Because of that Feelip, I judge the use of the word crook as unfounded hyperbole better left behind with the other rhetoric of a political campaign ... or the actions of a grand jury.

pubby

In lieu of at least an indictment, that statement is at best premature. Because of that Feelip, I judge the use of the word crook as unfounded hyperbole better left behind with the other rhetoric of a political campaign ... or the actions of a grand jury.

pubby

Speaking of indictments, is Faclity Group still the construction manager for the courthouse? Are the feds the least bit suspicious of the relationships between them and the people that were hiring them to do work for Paulding County? Is Robert Moultrie actually in prison now?

Don't know anything about that, wasn't involved. As far as I know it was just a bunch rumors. But if it was true, they still could not vote in Paulding County.

Don't know anything about that, wasn't involved. As far as I know it was just a bunch rumors. But if it was true, they still could not vote in Paulding County.

Nope. Not a rumor. There are (or were) public records of out of state organizations that donated money.

Don't matter either way. The county is in such crappy ways now. It will take years to fix it. Developers have run thing for to long now and they are out of business now. They were full of it for all those years. They are eating crow now. The hell with them for lying and crapping all over us.

Speaking of indictments, is Faclity Group still the construction manager for the courthouse? Are the feds the least bit suspicious of the relationships between them and the people that were hiring them to do work for Paulding County? Is Robert Moultrie actually in prison now?

I happened to run into a representative of the Facility Group at the Poultry Show this last week and he did inform me that Mr Moultrie had indeed started his "vacation" at a Federal Facility.

The rest I guess we will have to just wait and see how the chips fall!

So? Was there anything illegal about that?

Illegal? Probably not. I don't know about you, but when outsiders contribute money to force me to pay for something to enhance their bottom line I don't like it. And evidently the majority of the county didn't either since almost everyone that could have been replaced was.

• 2 weeks later...

Decreased values you mean in this county there are homes that have decreased in value. WOW!! Ours has increased 15,000 since we moved in in 1994 the value goes up approx 5,000 per year. That is just over inflated you know it has to be. So our taxes keep going up, up, up and up and up.

babydoll - I have to agree, even last year when people said theirs went down mine did not. My taxes have gone up every year. Last year just a few dollars, but my neigbors went down, too late to protest when I realized it. This year, they will probably will not reassess our property, as they have done every year since I have lived here, why, because they can't disclaim property values have gone down. The reign of the ole boys is gone, I hope, but it cost us taxpayers a lot and will cost us years to come(Jerry I hope you enjoy you retreat in Fla) it cost us a lot. It took some of the people a lot of years to believe.........

now we are left with a legacy of a $65 Million courthouse structure to pay for which we never got to vote on) , a fire tax that screwed the taxpayers, a school tax bond/ bad economic times. Now we don't have the discount from the state, and most can't afford any more tax increases. Austin has taken over a very bad situation, I just hope he can come up with some ideas that can help us taxpayers that are stuggling.

• 4 weeks later...

I think our new leaders are a bunch of idiots. Appararently in making staff reductions recently they didn't bother to talk to the departments heads to understand what the staff did. It apparently looks they looked at titles and salary only. My friend stated that some remaining employees are going to be in a bad position because the people let go were the only one's that knew had to do a particular function, use a particular piece of equipment, etc. Of course there is no money for training. Customer service will be affected.

Edited by winston1972
I think our new leaders are a bunch of idiots. Appararently in making staff reductions recently they didn't bother to talk to the departments heads to understand what the staff did. It apparently looks they looked at titles and salary only. My friend stated that some remaining employees are going to be in a bad position because the people let go were the only one's that knew had to do a particular function, use a particular piece of equipment, etc. Of course there is no money for training. Customer service will be affected.

What did they do when those 'key' employees took vacations or otherwise were absent from work?

I think the fault lies with any of these 'dept heads' who failed to cross-train employees, if that is indeed the case.

According to the BOC meeting minutes, the various department heads were all polled and asked to produce new budgets showing what they had to have.

I have wondered for quite some time now why we had the same staff in the Community Development office for 25 houses a month which we had when we were building 300 houses a month. I do have to assume the houses build in the past 18 months have been thoroughly inspected, re-inspected and inspected again.

It only makes common sense if the demand for the inspectors, water personnel, etc. to take care of the pitifully low number of new houses now coming on to the market is at 10% to 20% of what it was 2 years ago, that those departments could stand to lose 80% to 90% of their workforce.

Or should we just keep paying them to not work ?

Granted, it is bad when those working for the government lose their jobs though no fault of their own, but at the same time, we the taxpayers cannot afford to keep them in the budget when their services are not required.