Paulding.com

Please accept my deepest sympathy on the loss to your family from your dear friend. Your tribute is a real tear-jerker!

I was in your situation just over a year ago with Bear, my almost 13-year-old Rottweiler. Please read Bear's story Good_bye_Bea.html and know that you're not alone. Bear now has his own special eternal-doghouse on our mantel.

Also, several of the comments after my posting should also help you in this time.

I will keep you in my thoughts, and feel free to PM me if you'd like to share your memories!

My middle child was born Feb 28, 1999. He was a Pisces. My sister Stacey said that’s why they got along. He was a Pisces like her.

We got Copper when he was 6 weeks old and I was 5 months pregnant. We named him Copper because of his color and because “My name is Copper. I’m a hound dog…” The Fox and the Hound. Our Copper was a Golden Retriever.

copper5.jpg

Copper was a very sweet soul and trained himself. I swear he could understand anything, even our everyday conversations. He was so smart, and would even open the gate or the door for company. He was an indoor dog, but loved to be outside if someone was with him.

copper4.jpg

He had a lot of random health issues from time to time. He dealt with Parvo, Pemphigus, a snakebite, busted internal stitches after his neutering, multiple ear hematomas that required surgery, etc. But he was overall in great health.

copper1.jpg

Without Copper, I wouldn’t have my youngest son, Michael. Copper saved Michael’s life. I’ll keep this part brief. We were in the back yard one evening. It was getting dark and we began walking to the house. Michael was 2. He was walking a ways ahead of me. All of a sudden, Michael bypassed the house and took off to the road. We live on Hwy 61 right before Scoggins. Copper was on a chain because we didn’t have a fence yet. Copper saw that I was running to Michael, but I couldn’t get there in time. He snapped that chain and got Michael. He knocked Michael down, pulled him out of the street, and circled him until I got there.

He earned a place in my heart that day that could never be filled by anyone else.

copper2.jpg

Copper loved to wrestle with my oldest son Nick. They have been doing this since Copper was very small. Nick would pin Copper, then Copper would wrestle Nick to the ground and sit on Nick’s head to pin him. They still did this even this week.

100_0794.jpg

100_0789.jpg

Wednesday night my son Nick was packing for a trip Thursday. When he finished, he sat on the couch by me. Copper was lying by my feet. He stood up to walk into the hallway, and swayed a little. He looked dizzy. Nick dropped to his knees to steady Copper. Copper dropped to the floor and had a seizure. He has never had one before.

I took Copper to the vet Thursday morning. It was obvious something was wrong. He would not move. The only time he got up was to potty. The vet did every test she could think of to find out what was wrong. We just had to wait and see.

With some test results back Friday, she put Copper on some medicine. If he started vomiting, I was to bring him back. Friday night, that happened.

Saturday morning I took Copper out to potty before we left to see the vet. He tinkled then laid down in the yard and wouldn’t get up. My husband and I carried him to the car.

The new x-ray showed fluid in his abdomen. She pulled out old blood. Turns out he had a cyst or a tumor on his spleen and it ruptured. There was no hope. I called my husband and asked him to tell our youngest son Michael. Then I called my sisters. They came to the vet in their pajamas, and we laid down with Copper for over an hour. We could tell he felt bad. He told us when he was ready. The doctor came in, kissed him on the nose, and gave him the shot in his IV. He groaned, and went to sleep.

Today my son Nick comes home from his trip. I just couldn’t call him and tell him on the phone. I bought both boys a frame with four pictures.

Copper Kass Stubelt

Feb 28, 1999-October 25, 2008

You will forever be in our hearts.

copper3.jpg

I still cannot believe this! He was the best dog ever! I missed coming over on the weekends when I used to curl up with the boys and copper to watch a movie! Play wrestling with my feet and how he would knock me around and put his mouth on me like he was a gator but so gentle not to bite lol. I was really shocked and sad when I got your email,but after reading this I cant stop crying. He was the cutest and smartest puppy.He had a personality-I swear he was a person in another life. That and I liked pickin at him since he looked like Duke on the Busch bean commercials-"Roll that beautiful bean footage". I know it was hard to with the anniversary of your dad's death,mine just happened too in oct. He would of been 60 nov 8th. Here's something funny for you though remember that time when you lived close by me and my granny and I came over? The day I um dropped a bomb and he jumped and hid under the table.Sam still laughs about that story and she wasnt even there! He was one of a kind! I will truley miss him and Sam also says she is so sorry to hear about him.We love yall! Remember though he's popular,so he has lots of friends up there and family-Like Doc and Paris and many many others! That and he lived a great life and does not hurt anymore!

I shouldn't have read this before I left for work. My makeup is GONE. This was a very touching story, RIP Copper. I know how you feel...I lost my Daisy Lou last summer. She was a 17 year old Bassett Hound that I had picked out of a litter when I was about 2 years old. Never remembered a time before her. When I was a elementary and middle school, she would always walk with me to the end of the driveway and sit next to me until the bus came to get me. One morning, 2 aggressive German Shepherds came running down the road towards me and she ran them off. That was one of many stories where she showed her loyalty and friendship to my family. I miss her to this day!!

You have my deepest sympathy!!! What an amazing dog you had, so many people don't get that opportunity. I too have a wonderful friend and I know how much you must be hurting, your story brought me to tears.... God bless your family!! And Copper is running after a ball, in a place where he will never feel any pain again..........

Thank you all for your support. Just when I think I'm coping, I see someone has responded to my post and I read it and start crying all over again. The nights are easier now, but the other day my 12 year old as going to bed and out of habit whistled and called Copper. Then he looked up and at me and teared up. He just shook his head and went to bed. THat breaks my heart most of all.