Paulding.com

A Tribute to A Great Veteran: Revisited for all that didn't read it before

"This is a story worth reading". 5 years ago on September the 10th I lost my Father, he wasn't sick nothing like that, the Lord just took him very suddenly. Here is the post that I wrote not long after his death. On the anniversary of his departure I needed to share this with you again. He is missed so very much, by all of his family. Anyway for those of you that are interested here it is.

Just wanted to post a Tribute to my Father Francisco Barrios, he was born on 5/9/1936 in Los Angele's, California. He passed away on 9/10/2003 in a VA Hospital in Seattle, Washington.

My Father served his country for 30 Years in the Army achieving the rank of Sergeant Major. He served two tours of duty in Vietnam with the 173rd and 1st Calvary Division, where he was awarded the Purple Heart, Bronze Star with Valor and various other combat awards. He also served with the Special Operations Command, 2nd of the 75th Ranger Regiment. He was a Great American & Great Dad, too. We buried him in Tahoma National Cemetery in Kent Washington on Tuesday Sept. 16th at 10:30am with full military honors.

To say that I am proud of this Man would be an understatement. Not long after I lost him, I sent for his military records, I sat for many nights reading page after page, about the man known as Frank, to all who had the pleasure of knowing him & serving with him. And later on I received a second package which held exact replicas of all the Medals he received during his service with his name engraved on most of them and they were in individual boxes. To say I was excited, you bet cha. I was just expecting the paperwork. He spoke several languages & he didn't have a college education, but the wisdom & knowledge he held was endless. In his retirement, he and his wife Erika traveled frequently & enjoyed being together. He Loved the United States of America, any time he ever spoke of her, he always did so with Respect & Pride.

I miss you Dad. Each & everyday thoughts of you swirl through my mind & your voice is burned in my memory so that I never forget. Till we meet again.

I pay Tribute to You with much Love & Pride

Your Daughter,

Kim :D