Paulding.com

17,000 plus burried in Marietta Nat. Cemetery

Info on the day.

Parking within the cemetery is hard so park in a local lawyers parking lot and walk through the main gate at Washington Ave. and Cole St. 2 blocks east of the Marietta Square.

Directions: Marietta Hwy. 120 through the square in Marietta. When you see the Cobb County Library on the right, turn left on to Cole Street. The main gate is one block on the right.

The big event on Monday starts at noon. Music will start a bit earlier. It is usually about an hour long with the presentation of colors, speeches,military bands, the presentation of flower wreaths from MANY organizations of the military community, Twenty One Gun Solute, and the playing of Taps. ( Earlier in the day there are a number of "private services" by various VFW's and other special groups. I know they would like anyone t join them in the remembrance of their special part of military history.)

BRING KLEENEX.

If the little ones get restless there are over 20 acres to walk off the energy.

Many Boy Scout Troupes spent Saturday placing flags at each grave marker in the cemetery.

I live just a few blocks north of the cemetery and I can only remember a couple of Memorial Days I have not attended. My grand and great grandparents and some aunts and uncles are buried in the "Cole Cemetery" which is in a triangle just east of the flag pole on top of the hill.

Photos from last year.

post-6208-1211742935_thumb.jpg post-6208-1211742920_thumb.jpg post-6208-1211742905_thumb.jpg post-6208-1211742896_thumb.jpg post-6208-1211742885_thumb.jpg

I wish I could find the photo of a long hair, biker type rough neck Viet Nam vet who every year wore a leather vest with a flag and these words on the back;

JUST TRY BURNING THIS FLAG A$$ H@!E.

Many people would go up and shake his hand in support.

Come and share in this great day of remembrance as the service takes place where so many have their final resting place on this earth.

I think I saw something about an event in Dallas but as usual I can not find any note on anyone's calendar.

Here is more info from the Marietta web site.

Marietta National Cemetery

Address: 500 Washington Avenue, Marietta, GA 30060

Phone: (770) 428-5631 (866) 236-8159

Description: With the death toll rising rapidly during the Civil War, the idea to bury the dead in national cemeteries was conceived in 1862, and this cemetery was created in 1866. Henry Greene Cole, a prominent Marietta resident proposed the idea for the Marietta National Cemetery, and offered a few acres of land near downtown. The cemetery was to contain the graves of both Union and Confederate soldiers; however federal officials did not want Confederate dead to be buried near Yankee dead. Over 17,000 men are buried here, and more than 3,000 are unknown. Many died during the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, and a total of 10,072 died during the Civil War.

Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm

Admission:

URL: http://www.cem.va.gov/CEM/cems/nchp/marietta.asp

Type: Cemetery