Paulding.com

I wouldn't have specifics but the Dallas Police were supposed to come by the office a couple of weeks ago to put out a fraud alert because there had been an increase in the number of bogus travelers checks. We know there are issues with money orders and on 46 tonight, I saw a story about counterfiet money. Folks in business should be aware of all of these all the time.

pubby

I wouldn't have specifics but the Dallas Police were supposed to come by the office a couple of weeks ago to put out a fraud alert because there had been an increase in the number of bogus travelers checks. We know there are issues with money orders and on 46 tonight, I saw a story about counterfiet money. Folks in business should be aware of all of these all the time.

pubby

Thank you for the update.....it always helps to know these things for those of us in business.

Couple of years ago, I received $5K in bogus BofA Money Orders in the mail. Was the result of a scammer supposedly wanting to buy my old home.

They looked pretty good, but I know they must be fakes, so I took them to BofA for verification.

They were fakes and BofA confiscated them. I, not BofA, sent copies to USPS Fraud Unit with contact info. No one ever does anything about these.

Bank of America money orders are used in so many scams, that some places have warnings up that they won't accept them.

Never deposit a money order or travelers check without verifying with the issuer. When you do, it will eventually be taken out of your account (no time limit).

Edited by AustinPlantation

pubby

I have been having issues with prospective clients sending these to me.. the bogus travelers checks, Money orders and certified checks. They all have every one of the security features on them, this is becoming an ever increasing problem..

Truthfully, it's extremely diffcult.

Having worked at Citybank's HQ in NY 30+ years ago sorting checks, I know that consecutive #s is a dead givaway --- there should be a check digit as the last position and there wasn't. There was also one little white spot on one of them, which was a printing error. Otherwise they were perfect. Taking them to the issueing bank is the only sure way --- why amex checks are a problem.

If taking it at a store, I would definitely copy the driver licence # on the back and have them sign it, although they could have a fake one of those too.

What do you need to look for to be able to tell if a money order is a fake?
Edited by AustinPlantation
Truthfully, it's extremely diffcult.

Having worked at Citybank's HQ in NY 30+ years ago sorting checks, I know that consecutive #s is a dead givaway --- there should be a check digit as the last position and there wasn't. There was also one little white spot on one of them, which was a printing error. Otherwise they were perfect. Taking them to the issueing bank is the only sure way --- why amex checks are a problem.

If taking it at a store, I would definitely copy the driver licence # on the back and have them sign it, although they could have a fake one of those too.

Thank you soooo much Austin Plantation for ALL of your very expertice on this matter. It truly has helped enlighten alot of very gray issues on what to look for.

Been burned by fake money orders myself...
There are several ways to tell if the money is fake. If you have a black light you can put the money under it and the most of the bills in circulation will have color strip in them that only show up with a black light. Also, hold the bill up and look for the correct president's head in the hologram. Each denomination has the strip a different place. Another thing to look out for is having the bill being raised. That is why you need to hold the bill up to the light even when you mark it with a money marking pen because alot of the time they are using five's and making larger bills. So when it is marked you have taken real money just not the correct denomiation. I have worked in banking for over twelve years. At my last job I helped investigate several types of fraud. If you have more questions send me a pm. Hope this helps.. Jennifer
Been burned by fake money orders myself...
My favorite is when they use the same check number on several travelers checks or money orders.