Paulding.com

They enjoyed being there - there were planes taking off and landing just behind us. The flight nurse and pilot gave an excellent talk to the boys. One thing with the boys is you have to show them all kinds of cool stuff and then ask them if they would like to do it some day - of course they say yes. They are then given a road map of staying in school and doing their best in order to someday have that opportunity.

My son is going to be an RN and he enjoys flying...I'm gonna ask him if he's ever thought about putting the two together like that - since he didn't get such a cool field trip to make him think about such, when he was a small boy. ;)

Edited by eeyore

The flight nurse said you have to have a lot of experience before they will hire you. He had another job as well at a local hospital. The pilot said you needed 3000 solo hours to be considered for the job. Most of their pilots are ex-military, having flown Cobras, the Apache and other attach craft.

I'd like to do something like that when I grow up.

normally a ride from Paulding to an Atlanta trauma center is going to be in the $7500 range. If you go the maximum distance the chopper can fly, then the trip could be around $12000. Clark would bill you for the short ride to the LZ and then Emory would bill you for the flight.

When I found out the cost of a chopper ride, I checked my insurance policy to ensure that a flight is covered.

A neighbor took a trip on Emory flight 3 and the bill beat him home after three days in the hospital.

A thought just came to mind. I know that ambulance services bill the patient for the ride in the ambulance, how much does a ride to the hospital in a helicopter cost?

My husbands ride from Paulding to Grady was over $11,300. That, of course, didn't include the bill from Clark. It was worth every penny though, since it saved his life! Thank God we have insurance!

My husbands ride from Paulding to Grady was over $11,300. That, of course, didn't include the bill from Clark. It was worth every penny though, since it saved his life! Thank God we have insurance!

It's $1,000.00 fee in ambulance drive for hubby to be taken from Paulding to D-ville.

Clark charged us $685 just to put my daughter in the ambulance and cut her clothes off and cover her up for the helicopter. She had a wreck right next to a good spot to land. So Clark didn't even have to move with her in the bus. The flight was $8000 just to come into service, and another $2000 to fly to Grady.

But it was worth it, especially since the other guys insurance had to pay.

But she was well taken care of and that's what really counts. The flight crew on Emory lifeflight is amazing. They were wonderful even with a hysterical mother that couldn't ride to an unknown hospital with her child.