Paulding.com

I have just heard that earlier today that a car vs train wreck had happened behind Home Depot.

Any word on the accident?

kelwil, I guess we posted at the same time.

This is from wsbtv.com

PAULDING COUNTY, Ga. -- Officials said a deadly collision at a railroad crossing that did not have flashing lights or gates is the latest accident and some people are demanding changes.

Investigators said a woman drove in front of a train on Roper Road in Paulding County. The impact killed her.

"I heard the horn blowing on the train like usual and then he was laying down on it like he was in panic mode," said Scott Everhart.

It was an impact Everhart said he heard many times before. He was steps from his front door when the Norfolk Southern freight train rammed a woman's minivan. Everhart reached for his phone and ran.

"By the time I got to the front door the van was in the air, papers were scattering, tires were rolling across the yard and by the time I got out here there was nothing for anybody to do," said Everhart.

Rescuers said the woman in the van died almost instantly, even though witnesses dashed to her aid.

"She was in the ditch...she didn't have a pulse or anything," said witness Kenneth Turner.

Neighbors said what happened Thursday was far from an isolated incident. They said they can recall three or four other incidents in which a train hit a vehicle at the same intersection in the past several years. Residents said the increased traffic in the area makes the intersection even more dangerous. Neighbors want flashing lights and a gate installed.

Despite a series of accidents, the intersection only has a stop sign and a railroad crossing sign.

"It's dangerous. It's very dangerous. I just hate that that happened to that lady and her family," said Turner.

Troopers and railroad officials were investigating the tragedy. Neighbors hope they get gates or lights at the crossing within the next few weeks.

Troopers have not yet released the name of the van driver. They are still in the process of notifying her family.

Thank you all for the responses. We have just seen the report on the news.

I rarely get to check out any of the other forums... just too busy. It is sure nice when others have seen the request for info can help. Again, ty so much.

I pass this crossing at least once a week. It is very said that the lady was hit and lost her life. I just don't see how a person can not see something as big as a train!!! I've seen many trains pass by there, and they always blow the horn and are easy to see. The crossing doesn't have flashing lights, but the view is not obstructed.

I think a lot of people get involved in things other than their driving--cell phones, radio, etc.--and just don't pay attention.

Prayers said for the lady and her family.

I pass this crossing at least once a week. It is very said that the lady was hit and lost her life. I just don't see how a person can not see something as big as a train!!! I've seen many trains pass by there, and they always blow the horn and are easy to see. The crossing doesn't have flashing lights, but the view is not obstructed.

I think a lot of people get involved in things other than their driving--cell phones, radio, etc.--and just don't pay attention.

Prayers said for the lady and her family.

Whatever the reason it was sad but I do agree with you.

I also think in many cases people take the chance and think they can make it across before the train can hit em....and in some cases its that chance that kills you.

The biggest fear about those tracks that I have is the first one you come to over by the Industrial Park....if you are coming from downtown Hiram you go up this lil hill towards the tracks....its really hard to see if another car is on the other side of the hill and same for them....the road there is really narrow. I'm more afraid of a head on accident at that crossing.

Truly sad.

I find it hard to believe that in todays time that a railroad crossing does not have gates and/or lights.

I guess the city/county/railroads are more re-active then being pro-active. Every life is special. I wonder if any school buses cross over in that area?

G. Wolf

has there been any more news about this accident - my son and I saw this aout 10 min after it had happened - it left a horrible imprression on his young mind, but I know when he is older and begins to drive, he will stop for all crossings - even the officers at the scene were so distraught - horrible accident -

Without knowing the details of how this terrible accident happened, it is easy to run through scenarios of what might have happened, all of which might teach us a lesson. One thing I always get onto my husband about is stopping on the tracks to wait for someone else to move. If our car stalled before we could get off the tracks, do you think I'd be able to get us and our two kids out of the car in time? Also, if you cross the tracks at a road without lights and/or guard rails, are you looking carefully or listening for a train? If you cross at a road with the guard rails and they are lowering but you think you might have time to get through anyway, do you test fate and go around them?