Paulding.com

This happened as I was stopped to turn in my driveway, as I waited for an oncoming car to pass. I'm always looking in my mirrors when I have to stop, because so many people FLY around the turn and it seems inevitable that someone will eventually slam into the back of me. There have already been countless close calls. So... I saw it in my mirror. The motorcycle appeared in an instant... another witness said he had geared up in the middle of the turn. When he saw me, he hit the breaks, the bike jerked from side to side, then slid out. The guy driving rolled out of it towards the side of the road, but the girl slid and tumbled and came only inches from being run over by the oncoming car I had been waiting for. The lady in the car got partially off the roadway... had she not, the girl on the bike would have been run over. After watching this unfold, I was thankful to see that there were no life threatening injuries. The girl was scraped up very badly in some spots and very shaken up... but I knew she'd be okay. I didn't see even a scratch on the guy who was driving.

I know it's only a matter of time... and it will happen again. I'm just afraid that next time, everyone won't be so lucky. My neighbor made a suggestion, that I'm sure will help prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future. In the turn, on the side of the road, there is a big pine tree and a very large bush, that seriously prevents seeing what is past the turn. If these were to be cut down, I know people could see my van... school buses... and other cars that have to stop up ahead. How do we see about getting those cut down? They are on the property that the head start school is on. Any ideas?

Thanks for the update - I hope that she was impressed when the guy tired to show her how fast his bike is.

Do you think she'll ride with this moron again?

regarding the tree - best solution is for drivers to obey the laws of the road and drive like there maybe a car stopped just ahead and requiring a quick stop....

regarding the tree - best solution is for drivers to obey the laws of the road and drive like there maybe a car stopped just ahead and requiring a quick stop....

Unfortunately, they don't... most of them, anyways.

A few years ago after my kid's bus almost got slammed, I stopped getting my kids off the bus at the driveway... I walk about 50-75 ft down the road... away from the turn.

If people won't even slow down when buses are dropping kids off... there's very little hope that they will slow down at all.

9 out of 10 of the accidents that happen at this particular spot are stupidity rather than vision hazards. Way to fast for the curve plus it is a school zone there even though there is not a speed limit sign there is a school zone sign. One of the best things that has happened at the school is the change of entering and exiting the school enter at the south exit at the north exit, at least you can see both ways there. I do agree though that if a couple of bushes and trees were removed one could at least see a bit better in case there were to be a school bus or anyother vehicle stopped in or just past the curve. If people would just stop seeing how fast they can take the curve though that would be the first step in improvement. There has been one fatality there in the curve, it happened a few years back, I just hope that there is not another there or at the end of Holly Springs or the Goldmine, 101-113 Intersection Yield sign.

9 out of 10 of the accidents that happen at this particular spot are stupidity rather than vision hazards. Way to fast for the curve plus it is a school zone there even though there is not a speed limit sign there is a school zone sign. One of the best things that has happened at the school is the change of entering and exiting the school enter at the south exit at the north exit, at least you can see both ways there. I do agree though that if a couple of bushes and trees were removed one could at least see a bit better in case there were to be a school bus or anyother vehicle stopped in or just past the curve. If people would just stop seeing how fast they can take the curve though that would be the first step in improvement. There has been one fatality there in the curve, it happened a few years back, I just hope that there is not another there or at the end of Holly Springs or the Goldmine, 101-113 Intersection Yield sign.

Agreed. People are being too fast and too stupid with it... and it will only get worse as more and more people move out this way. I'm just trying to think of *anything* that might make it even a little bit safer.

I remember that fatality like it was yesterday... it was February 1997... I was pregnant with my 2nd son. I was the first one on the scene and also helped the first responder until other emergency personel arrived. The images of that day will never leave my mind. That's the only fatality that I'm aware of in the last 12 years or so, but there have been numerous accidents in that curve and in front of my house. Everytime I hear a "boom" my heart sinks and thoughts, feelings and images of Feb. 1997 come flooding back.

Removing the trees won't help people who just go too fast and lose it in that turn... but it may help keep my family or a school bus from getting rear ended. I want my family to be safe. I want the kids on the bus to be safe. But also, if someone slams into my full sized van or a bus at a high rate of speed, they'll be having a very bad day... and perhaps their last.