Paulding.com

Memorial Service for Mr. Roger Sauls, age 74, of Douglasville, Ga. (Paulding County) will be held on Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 3 P.M. at Benson Funeral Home. Brother Edmond Sauls will officiate. Interment will follow in Peaceful Meadows Memorial Park. Mr. Sauls is survived by: Wife, Mrs. Faye "Tiny" Cole Sauls; Son, Mr. and Mrs. Roger Allen (Janice) Sauls, Jr.; Daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Patrick (Laura Ellen) Hite; Grandchildren, Mr. and Mrs. Eric (Ashleigh) Long, Ms. Amber Sauls, Mr. Travis Hite and Mr. Jerry Arnold; Great Grandchildren, Jacob Arnold and Maggie Long Brother, Mr. and Mrs. Edmond (Edith) Sauls; Sister, Mrs. Mazie Gilland; Sister in law, Mrs. Sarah Sauls, Mrs. Edna Lee and Mrs. Reba Ellison; Nieces and Nephews. Mr. Sauls was preceded in death by: Parents, Mr. and Mrs. Beatrice Oliver (Bammie Lodessa Simmons) Sauls; Brothers, Mr. Curtis Sauls, Mr. Cecil Sauls and Mr. James Sauls. In lieu of flowers, donation to the leukemia foundation.

We are so sorry for your loss Allen and Miss Faye.

Memorial Service for Mr. Roger Sauls, age 74, of Douglasville, Ga. (Paulding County) will be held on Wednesday, August 29, 2007, 3 P.M. at Benson Funeral Home. Brother Edmond Sauls will officiate. Interment will follow in Peaceful Meadows Memorial Park. Mr. Sauls is survived by: Wife, Mrs. Faye "Tiny" Cole Sauls; Son, Mr. and Mrs. Roger Allen (Janice) Sauls, Jr.; Daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Patrick (Laura Ellen) Hite; Grandchildren, Mr. and Mrs. Eric (Ashleigh) Long, Ms. Amber Sauls, Mr. Travis Hite and Mr. Jerry Arnold; Great Grandchildren, Jacob Arnold and Maggie Long Brother, Mr. and Mrs. Edmond (Edith) Sauls; Sister, Mrs. Mazie Gilland; Sister in law, Mrs. Sarah Sauls, Mrs. Edna Lee and Mrs. Reba Ellison; Nieces and Nephews. Mr. Sauls was preceded in death by: Parents, Mr. and Mrs. Beatrice Oliver (Bammie Lodessa Simmons) Sauls; Brothers, Mr. Curtis Sauls, Mr. Cecil Sauls and Mr. James Sauls. In lieu of flowers, donation to the leukemia founda

We are so sorry for your loss Allen and Miss Faye.

Great Folks.... We were so amazed to hear that Roger had died. He was always active and they were looking forward to retirement once the sale reduced their stock of furniture. I think he had plans to work at a Golf Course once the store closed. So sad!

Great Folks.... We were so amazed to hear that Roger had died. He was always active and they were looking forward to retirement once the sale reduced their stock of furniture. I think he had plans to work at a Golf Course once the store closed. So sad!

which furniture store is this?

If this is the same Roger Sauls (and it appears to be, since I also recognize the name "Tiny" Cole in the list of names you provided), then I remember him as a very compassionate and patient man who in the early 60's taught the sport of American football to a little 11 year old German kid who could barely speak English: me.

All I knew when we first emigrated from Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Germany were a few words I had learned from a German-American dictionary, and how to play Fussball (soccer). Coach Sauls patiently explained the rules of American football and taught me how to wrap my fingers around that funny looking "ball" and throw a perfect spiral. He coached me in Midget Football, but by the time I got to 8th grade there was another set of coaches in VRHS and I didn't encounter him again as a teacher.

He and his wife did know my mother, Anita, and I remember their kindness to her and her 2 sons at a time when World War II and Germany were still very much on everyone's minds, and not in a good way, either.

Thanks for the information and rest in peace, Coach.

Bill Craig

Sorry, but I can't let this man's good name drop off the board without telling those of you who knew him one of many anecdotes there must be about his life.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Roger Sauls coached me in Midget football.

In those days, a lot of little boys went out for it and we all had our heroes on the Wildcats Varsity team. A couple of mine were John "Shaky" Smith, the aforementioned "Tiny" Cole, and Larry "Legs" Butler (who later became a cousin-in-law), and boy, didn't we wait for them to come out of the locker room and follow them as far to the field as we were allowed to go? I can still hear those cleats on the pavement and feel the crisp night air and hear the sounds of the band playing "Mr. Touchdown", as the guys clattered down the steps of the stadium which was at that time located behind Villa Rica Elementary School.

For a little kid just off the plane from Germany, that was a whole new experience, and so I too went out for the Midget Wildcat team and started practicing. Didn't make the backfield, but Coach found me a place on the line as a Tackle.

We practiced all summer long, and I struggled with the language, the rules of the game, and tried real hard to fit in. It wasn't always easy, and I had the first of what would be many broken noses in those days! :D

Well, school started and time came for jerseys. There were always more kids than there were jerseys, and we all knew that some of us might not get one, or if we did that we might have to take it off during the game and share it with another kid Coach might send in to play, but we all really wanted one because we knew it meant we'd be playing "first string"!

Well, names were called out and jerseys started flying out of boxes into the hands of some happy little boys, and because I knew I had had problems with the language and the rules, I also knew I'd have to share a jersey if I played, and as the boxes began to empty, I drifted to the back of the crowd, and prepared myself for the disappointment.

And that's when my jersey hit me in the back of the head.

I turned around and saw Coach look at me and wink.

And that's what I remember about Roger Sauls.

beautiful story! Thanks for sharing and giving some insight to a person I never knew, but would have been lucky to have known :-)

Sorry, but I can't let this man's good name drop off the board without telling those of you who knew him one of many anecdotes there must be about his life.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Roger Sauls coached me in Midget football.

In those days, a lot of little boys went out for it and we all had our heroes on the Wildcats team. A couple of mine were John "Shaky" Smith, the aforementioned "Tiny" Cole, and Larry "Legs" Butler (who later became a cousin-in-law), and boy, didn't we wait for them to come out of the locker room and follow them as far to the field as we were allowed to go? I can still hear those cleats on the pavement and feel the crisp night air and hear the sounds of the band playing "Mr. Touchdown", as the guys clattered down the steps of the stadium which was at that time located behind Villa Rica Elementary School.

For a little kid just off the plane from Germany, that was a whole new experience, and so I too went out for the Midget Wildcat team and started practicing. Didn't make the backfield, but Coach found me a place on the line as a Tackle.

We practiced all summer long, and I struggled with the language, the rules of the game, and tried real hard to fit in. It wasn't always easy, and I had the first of what would be many broken noses in those days! :D

Well, school started and time came for jerseys. There were always more kids than there were jerseys, and we all knew that some of us might not get one, or if we did that we might have to take it off during the game and share it with another kid Coach might send in to play, but we all really wanted one because we knew it meant we'd be playing "first string"!

Well, names were called out and jerseys started flying out of boxes into the hands of some happy little boys, and because I knew I had had problems with the language and the rules, I also knew I'd have to share a jersey if I played, and as the boxes began to empty, I drifted to the back of the crowd, and prepared myself for the disappointment.

And that's when my jersey hit me in the back of the head.

I turned around and saw Coach look at me and wink.

And that's what I remember about Roger Sauls.

• 2 weeks later...