Paulding.com

Acworth man hit, killed on I-75

By Heather Vogell

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/31/07 3:31 PM

At least three vehicles struck an Acworth man who had abandoned his car and fled into the southbound lanes of I-75 after causing a crash in a northbound lane early Saturday, Cobb County police said.

Travis Lee Chupp, 26, was pronounced dead at the scene. Chupp may have been under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash, Cobb police spokesman Wayne Delk said.

Chupp’s 1997 Honda Accord first rear-ended a 2002 Kia Sportage that had slowed because of congestion caused by roadwork north of Hickory Grove Road about 12:35 a.m., police said. The Honda then veered left and rolled down the embankment onto the wooded median.

Chupp got out of the car and was talking to construction workers when he took off through the woods and into the southbound lanes, police said.

The driver of the first vehicle to strike Chupp, Elia Nohemi Turcios-Trochez of Tucker, and three passengers were brought to Wellstar Kennestone Hospital with non-life threatening injuries, police said. The driver and a passenger in the Kia Sportage were not injured.

The investigation is continuing, but charges are not likely to be filed, Delk said.

Acworth man hit, killed on I-75

By Heather Vogell

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 03/31/07 3:31 PM

At least three vehicles struck an Acworth man who had abandoned his car and fled into the southbound lanes of I-75 after causing a crash in a northbound lane early Saturday, Cobb County police said.

Travis Lee Chupp, 26, was pronounced dead at the scene. Chupp may have been under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash, Cobb police spokesman Wayne Delk said.

Chupp’s 1997 Honda Accord first rear-ended a 2002 Kia Sportage that had slowed because of congestion caused by roadwork north of Hickory Grove Road about 12:35 a.m., police said. The Honda then veered left and rolled down the embankment onto the wooded median.

Chupp got out of the car and was talking to construction workers when he took off through the woods and into the southbound lanes, police said.

The driver of the first vehicle to strike Chupp, Elia Nohemi Turcios-Trochez of Tucker, and three passengers were brought to Wellstar Kennestone Hospital with non-life threatening injuries, police said. The driver and a passenger in the Kia Sportage were not injured.

The investigation is continuing, but charges are not likely to be filed, Delk said.

I heard about his passing earlier tonight.....how heart breaking. :(

I heard about his passing earlier tonight.....how heart breaking. :(

I taught Travis Chupp in 7th grade. We stayed in touched for many years. I saw him last at Casey Weaver's funeral. I loved him so much. He will be greatly missed. I extend all my thoughts and prayers to his family, and friends. I am so very so sorry for this loss. I pray that we all look to God for comfort at this time. I am so sorry for all that knew and loved him more than myself, for I am heartbroken. Mrs. Underwood - May God Carry You Home Baby!

Prayers to be said for all who is involved.

:(

does anyone know about the funeral arrangements?

When I spoke with work, arrangements had not be confirmed. Travis's body would not be release until Monday.

Travis' mom is my best friend. All I can say at this point is that arrangements are still being discussed. Please, please keep the family in your prayers...

And to a previous response, yes, he is Phil's son.

I am getting ready to head back to Lisa's later today. I will post when I know something. I just still can't believe it. Travis was a wonderful young man-always smiling. And, also, pray for us that we can hold up and have the strength to help this family. They are absolutely devastated.

I am getting ready to head back to Lisa's later today. I will post when I know something. I just still can't believe it. Travis was a wonderful young man-always smiling. And, also, pray for us that we can hold up and have the strength to help this family. They are absolutely devastated.

I went to school with Travis and my huband graduated with him. The last time we saw him was at Casey's funeral. I am still in shock over this. Doesn't he have a young daughter? We will also be praying for his family.

I went to school with Travis and my huband graduated with him. The last time we saw him was at Casey's funeral. I am still in shock over this. Doesn't he have a young daughter? We will also be praying for his family.

Yes. She is five years old.

Yes. She is five years old.

I had seen picture and she looks just like him and I knew that she was about my daughters age but I could not be sure. My hubby is still in shock about Casey and now this happens. We will continue to pray for his family.

I don't know what to say. I'm in shock. Lisa, if you read this I want you to know he was very much loved by my family. Remember the night of the blizzard and I was stuck with a bunch of thirteen year old boys. Travis being one of them. I last saw him when Casey passed away and he hugged me. He was such a good person and I think everyone that knew him loved him. I pray the Lord will give you and your family the strength to get through this.

I WANTED TO LET THE CHUPP FAMILY KNOW THAT YOU ARE IN OUR PRAYERS. LISA YOU ARE IN OUR HEARTS. TRAVIS WENT TO SCHOOL WITH MY BROTHER CASEY. CASEY HAS BEEN GONE FOR ALMOST NINE MONTHS AND WE MISS HIM VERY MUCH. THERE IS NOT A MINUTE THAT GOES BY THAT I DO NOT THINK ABOUT MY BROTHER. HE WAS A STRONG PERSON WITH A GOOD HEART. TRAVIS AND CASEY HUNG OUT ALOT IN HIGH SCHOOL. THEY BOTH PLAYED SPORTS TOGETHER.

R.I.P. TRAVIS AND CASEY (ONCE TOGETHER AGAIN)

PRAYERS FOR YOU LISA FROM WANDA AND FAMILY

Arrangements are being made at this time. Benson's is in charge of the arrangements. All I know right now is viewing will be held on Tuesday afternoon and funeral on Wednesday at West Ridge Church. Soon as I find out more I will post. Please keep Lisa, Grace and Cody in your prayers. If you need anymore info feel free to pm me. Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

And yes this is Lisa Chupp from Dallas P.D.'s son!!!!

Arrangements are being made at this time. Benson's is in charge of the arrangements. All I know right now is viewing will be held on Tuesday afternoon and funeral on Wednesday at West Ridge Church. Soon as I find out more I will post. Please keep Lisa, Grace and Cody in your prayers. If you need anymore info feel free to pm me. Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers during this difficult time.

And yes this is Lisa Chupp from Dallas P.D.'s son!!!!

thank you. i'll be there.

i have been good friends and work acquaintances with mr chupps uncle alan...saw alan yesterday and talked a bit about travis..

alan is devastated and his main concern was for his sister and her family, mr chupp's daughter, girlfriend and her 2 year old boy..

from what we talked about travis was quite the guy..alan thought the world of him..myself and my family offer our deepest sympathy to the family and hope everyone close to travis finds peace in this time of sorrow

anything i can offer to help, alan or family, please just ask

joe williams

770-354-7145

I don't know what to say. I'm in shock. Lisa, if you read this I want you to know he was very much loved by my family. Remember the night of the blizzard and I was stuck with a bunch of thirteen year old boys. Travis being one of them. I last saw him when Casey passed away and he hugged me. He was such a good person and I think everyone that knew him loved him. I pray the Lord will give you and your family the strength to get through this.

Can you pm me with Lisa's maiden name? I think I know her from school. Of course, that would be round about PCHS class of 78. Thanks!

tripletmom

This news has saddened my day as I taught Travis when he was little.... he was just adorable and I followed him thru high school. Adam was also in that class. Sweet , sweet boys!

I pray his family is at peace and remembers what a wonderful young man he was. His smile was unforgettable.