Student essays, poems and thoughts of note

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_webmaster_*

Guest_webmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2003 - 01:49 AM

While any member can post to this forum, we're hoping that Paulding County's teachers will share with us those amazing bits of writing that come from all grades and age groups.

You know the one's ... those stories; even poems written by your students that grab you and pat you on the back and make you proud of your choice to be a teacher.

You've always wanted a place to share them; this forum is your chance... and our chance to share in the everyday accomplishments of our youth.

There is not really much in the way of rules except the essays ought not to be the length of a doctoral thesis:)

Poems, short essays and other bits of writing are all eligible.

I do ask that teachers, and this would include home school teachers, do the posting (rather than the kids themselves).

That's about it, other than the obvious that is so obvious that it need not be said.

#2 thatboyaintright

thatboyaintright

Called to preach on p.com

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,156 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:44 PM

Hopefully, now that school is winding down, some of the teachers out there may have a moment or two to post some of the "stand out" items the students did over the year.
"Great men wake up to slay dragons. Most are content to chase lizards. Therein lies the difference. Live Brave."

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 markdavd

markdavd

Sawdust Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,868 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:06 PM

Can they legally post them without parent's permission?
I read recently that "most of today's reporters and journalists are no better than used car salesmen. When they're working, you just know they're lying to you." My first thought is that's an insult to used car salesmen!

#4 thatboyaintright

thatboyaintright

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,156 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE (markdavd @ May 25 2005, 06:58 PM)
Can they legally post them without parent's permission?

No names or identifying markings or dental records. laugh.gif
"Great men wake up to slay dragons. Most are content to chase lizards. Therein lies the difference. Live Brave."

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 markdavd

markdavd

Sawdust Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,868 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:00 PM

That's the dilemma.

Can they legally post it as anonmyous? It could cause problems because even though it may be school work, technically the student owns the copyright.

Privacy laws probably prevent the teacher from publishing the student's name.

The best bet would be for parents to post their kid's work.
I read recently that "most of today's reporters and journalists are no better than used car salesmen. When they're working, you just know they're lying to you." My first thought is that's an insult to used car salesmen!

#6 thatboyaintright

thatboyaintright

• ^BOPPER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,156 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (markdavd @ May 25 2005, 08:52 PM)
That's the dilemma.

Can they legally post it as anonmyous? It could cause problems because even though it may be school work, technically the student owns the copyright.

You know, I haven't thought about that. I really don't know.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 tranquil kangaroo

tranquil kangaroo

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

It ought to be easy enough to get a parent signature for this kind of thing. I've had numerous students published, but it did require a signature, with the understanding and statement that the student retains all rights. Although, written work is technically copyrighted at the time of its writing. It shouldn't be too much of an issue in a forum like this. Leaving out last name for student privacy.

The thing is, I would really like to read some of these, as well. Young fresh perspectives help keep us young.

One year, we self published a poetry book for the kids. They loved it. Kids and parents usually love to see their work and name in print.

#8 brewha

brewha

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:23 PM

most of the time at the beginning of school, when you get the mother load of papers to fill out....one of them is authorization for their work , poems, drawings etc, to be used on the internet , or at art shows etc......i don't know if all schools give those out, but my schools did.....shelton , and russom....it also gives permission to use the childs pictures(their photograph)....hope this helps....the teachers would have record of which students have the signed consent form on record.

#9 pacfrog

pacfrog

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (markdavd @ May 25 2005, 07:52 PM)
That's the dilemma.

Me as a parent would not want them to post any of my kids essays,poems ect. becayuse there are a lot of kids talented at doing these they might want to use them in the future in a book. If they get posted someone might take them as their own. My daughter is good at writing poems and i wouldn't want anyone to still her thoughts because thats what most of them are. So i would have to agree with Markdavd.

Edited by pacfrog, 26 May 2005 - 04:47 PM.

#10 Guest_publisher_*

Guest_publisher_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:52 PM

Pacfrog:

It is really pretty unlikely that anyone would be able to 'rip off' your child's work from this type of innocent posting.

With the Internet the way it is today, you can put in a specific sentence construction and come up with literally the citation a plagerizing editor. That would be caught by the publishing house which, if caught stealing/plagerizing work, even of kid on a public forum,

That is one reality. The other is that community newspapers have been doing stories of this kind since at least the early 1900's. I've done several myself going back to the 1970's.

Realize also that the love to write and to read is based in part on reading and writing about one's self. The whole thing that motivates folks here is this same instinct to share our lives with others.

It seems a little short sighted to look at the absolutely remote possibility that someone might steal your copywritten material from a public forum and become a millionaire ... when the real benefit is to show the community the pride and insights of our youngest minds.

I don't mean to demean your opinion on this pacfrog. It is a legitimate opinion that if placed on the spectrum of opinion on this issue, would put you in the company of record company and movie industry executives.

#11 pacfrog

pacfrog

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 06:23 AM

I just think it should be up to the person that wrote it . If they want to post it for someone else to see that would be alright. But i don't think a teacher should post it without asking them first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics