47 replies to this topic

#1 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:46 PM

OK. I was told this was the best way to do this, so let's share everyone. Is there a dish you make that everyone raves about or is a huge hit with your family and friends? Please post here.

#2 Ellen

Ellen

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:52 PM

Everyone loves my Party Chicken.

The reicpe is already posted here. biggrin.gif
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure if you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Ellen

#3 Momma of 3

Momma of 3

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:59 PM

I make a mexican layer dip everytime we have parties or gatherings and EVERYONE loves it. It is a bit different than most I have had, and by far, the best!

Bottom layer- refried beans (I get a can, I think about 8 or 10 oz. can)
Next- Guacamole
Next- mix sour cream with 1 packet of taco seasoning mix
Next- chopped green onions
Next- one can sliced pitted black olives and one can (or jar) green olives
Next- a bag of mexican shreaded cheese
Next- chopped grape or cherry tomatoes (I also do a few extra black & green olives on top for extra color)
Serve with tortilla chips or scoops.

No matter where I bring this, people go nuts for it. Most people dislike at least 1 thing in it, but they still absolutely love it & chow down on it!
It does cost around $20 for all of the ingredients, but it is well worth it!!
Try it once, you will do it again and again!
Little lady, big mouth!

#4 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:45 AM

Anybody have a good goulash recipe? Or how about a pound cake? We had a family friend that would make us one whenever we came into town for the holidays. She was a great friend of grandmother's. When we came into town, it was there waiting at my grandmother's. It was perfect. Crusty topping that could not be beat. SOOOOO good. You can't buy one like that at the store anywhere. Anyone with an old family recipe for one.

#5 not enough

not enough

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (dallasgirl0618 @ Oct 24 2006, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody have a good goulash recipe? Or how about a pound cake? We had a family friend that would make us one whenever we came into town for the holidays. She was a great friend of grandmother's. When we came into town, it was there waiting at my grandmother's. It was perfect. Crusty topping that could not be beat. SOOOOO good. You can't buy one like that at the store anywhere. Anyone with an old family recipe for one.

Sounds like the same pound cake my family has passed down over the years. I believe the topping was made with sugar, almond flavoring and some other one, melted on the stove and brushed on. Thats what makes it have that crusty outside. My mom made this everytime I went to visit (or any of us kids) and we would have a slice in the mornings with our coffee. Great memories..............
Anyway I'll be glad to post the receipe later because it's at home and I am not. It's a booger to make because it's from scratch but it is sooo good.

#6 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (notenough @ Oct 24 2006, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sounds like the same pound cake my family has passed down over the years. I believe the topping was made with sugar, almond flavoring and some other one, melted on the stove and brushed on. Thats what makes it have that crusty outside. My mom made this everytime I went to visit (or any of us kids) and we would have a slice in the mornings with our coffee. Great memories..............
Anyway I'll be glad to post the receipe later because it's at home and I am not. It's a booger to make because it's from scratch but it is sooo good.

Sounds like it may be the same. I know people in the family have tried to figure out her recipe. She gives out part of it, but always puts down something wrong to throw us off. It has been a running joke for years. Everyone tries to figure out the right way it should be and tries to make it, but of course, no one has ever succeeded.

#7 Pink Pixie

Pink Pixie

Paulding Com member

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:54 AM

Very Easy Chicken Casserole.

This is one of my favorites, and my kids like it too.

6 chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 8oz container of sour cream
2 cans water chestnuts
1 sleeve Club crackers

Bake chicken and cut into small pieces. Mix sour cream, soup, and water chestnuts and mix into chicken.

Top with crushed crackers and butter. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes.
Formerly known as bzymomma

#8 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (bzymomma @ Oct 24 2006, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very Easy Chicken Casserole.

This is one of my favorites, and my kids like it too.

6 chicken breasts
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 8oz container of sour cream
2 cans water chestnuts
1 sleeve Club crackers

Bake chicken and cut into small pieces. Mix sour cream, soup, and water chestnuts and mix into chicken.

Top with crushed crackers and butter. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes.

That sounds really good. I may try that tonight. I was just thinking about what I was going to do for dinner tonigt. Thanks.

#9 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:51 AM

bump. Any more great cooks out there with recipes?

#10 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

bump.

#11 tzume

tzume

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

I don't know where this came from so I can't give proper credit. If you love raw cookie dough you will love this.

Faux Cookie Dough

1 pkg original Chips A Hoy chocolate chip cookies
1 med container of Cool Whip
1 cup milk

Dip each cookie momentarily into the cup of milk and line the bottom of a desert dish. Top layer of cookies with Cool whip. Then another layer of dipped cookies, followed by Cool Whip. Continue layering until your last layer is Cool Whip. Chill for at least 2 hours.

Using a 1 1/2 quart round casserole dish will give you more layers.

My son grew up eating this and loved it so much that he now makes it for all his fellow firefighters at the firehouse.....they love it wub.gif wub.gif

#12 Double J

Double J

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,443 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:43 PM

I have a recipie for Whiting that everyone always loves! It tastes like something you would get at a restaurant. Here goes.

Brush thawed whiting filets with lemon juice and broil 6 minutes. While broiling, mix 1/2 C parmesan cheese, 1/4 C margerine, 3 Tbsp mayonnaise, a dash of hot sauce, salt and pepper (to taste) with a whisk until creamy. Take fish out of the broiler and spread the cheese mixture onto it. Return to broiler for 3 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.

It's DELICIOUS, quick to fix, and my family loves it! The sauce is delicious. A 2 lb bag of frozen whiting will feed 4-5 people. I serve it with rice pilaf and fresh sauteed green beans.

~SPAY~NEUTER~ADOPT~

Don't BREED or BUY while SHELTER PETS DIE!!!

#13 mrsjones

mrsjones

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

how bout pineapple cheese casserole. is o so divine.....

Pineapple Cheese Casserole
Submitted by: Kerri
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 34 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes Ready In: 40 Minutes
Yields: 12 servings

"Pineapple chunks baked with Cheddar cheese, and topped with a buttery cracker crust."

INGREDIENTS:
3 (15 ounce) cans pineapple
chunks
2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar
cheese
8 tablespoons pineapple juice 8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
30 buttery round crackers,
crushed
1/2 cup butter, sliced

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl combine pineapple chunks, cheese, pineapple juice, flour and sugar. Spoon into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with crushed crackers and butter slices.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.

me smile.gif
George Hughes

#14 CreativeOne

CreativeOne

... shamelessly supporting furry ones ...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,491 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

what favorites are you looking for ... any certain main ingrediants???
Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulette

Click Daily - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com to support animals, breast cancer, literacy, and other causes too! All free to you!

"I believe in animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of the whole human." -- Abraham Lincoln

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)

"Be kind to animals, you never know when you are entertaining angels" - anonymus

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

#15 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (CreativeOne @ Oct 25 2006, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what favorites are you looking for ... any certain main ingrediants???

No. Anything you would like to share. Even if it is not something that I would try or want, no matter what you put on here, someone will try it. As we try these recipes we need to share how they turned out.

Speaking of pineapple from the post above, how about this:

Pineapple Salad instead of the traditional salad. This is one of my family's favorites.

Lettuce
pineapple chunks
mayonnaise
shredded cheese

optional: my mom used to add raisins and peanuts, but those were not for me.

#16 Madea

Madea

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,484 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (dallasgirl0618 @ Oct 24 2006, 10:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a recipe for a cream cheese pound cake that is very good. One of my favorites. I'll pull it out and post it for you.
And for the record, I am not/will not be in any way responsible for your child in any way, shape or form. You had this child, I did not. And if you get to judge me as a person then I get to judge you as a parent. ~Rockysmom (8/11/10)

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson.

Your judgments don't define me, they define you.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

#17 Mrs. Jack Russell

Mrs. Jack Russell

BUE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,862 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:01 AM

What about simple recipies that have 6 or less thigs to add?

I am all about simple, but good recipies.
I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there.

Rev. Billy Graham

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#18 PinkCrickett

PinkCrickett

Icon

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:03 AM

My best is country fried steak but I don't have a recipe. Here is a very simple one that is absolutely great.
4-6 chicken breasts boiled
4-6 potatoes cut into chunks and boil to almost done
2 cans golden mushroom soup(not cream)
1 can english baby peas
Place the cooked chicken on the bottom of a 9" x 13" dish with potatoes placed around chicken. Pour peas over all of this and then pour the soup(undiluted)over the entire dish. Heat in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Even better the next day. It is the whole meal except for maybe bread and a salad.

#19 southernscarlett

southernscarlett

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,046 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 06:47 AM

Marianne Pound Cake has a crust
2-sticks of margarine
1- cup of crisco
3- cups suger
1-cup milk
6- eggs
31/4 -cups flour(plain)
1 tablespoon butternut flavoring
1/2-teaspoon lemon flavoring
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or untill done. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif yum-yum

Another that is good
3-cups sugar
3- sticks margarine
8oz.-cream cheese
6 -eggs
3-cups-plain flour less 1t.
1/2 tsp- salt
2t.-vanilla

All ingredients should be at room temerture.
Cream suger and margarine nutill fluffy.
Cut cream cheese into 3 pieces,add one at a time with 2 eggs.
Beat well alter each addition.
Add to cream mixture very slowly.
Add salt and vanilla
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 45 minutes
To keep cake from browning too much,put a small pan of cold water on lower shelf of oven under large cake pan. biggrin.gif
[size="3"] [/size]

#20 southernscarlett

southernscarlett

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,046 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:03 AM

If you want something to do with those bananas well here you go .These are really-really good

Banana nut cookies
1 1/2 cup sifted flour
1/2 teasp. soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp nut meg
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup shortening
1 cup suger
1 egg
1 cup mashed bananas
13/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 cups nuts chopped

Sift together flour, soda, salt and spices cream shorting well.
Add suger gradually add eggs and beat well
Add bananas, oatmeal and nuts
Mix well add flour mixture and blend
Drop by tsp. on to ungreased cookie sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart Bake at400 degrees
15 minutes
Makes 3 1/2 dozen
[size="3"] [/size]

#21 doodlebug

doodlebug

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:21 AM

When I was a kid, on Sunday after Church Dinner, we would have Pot Roast with potatoes, carrots and onions. At the end of the day the potroast that was left over was shredded. Nanny would then peel and cut up some potatoes and onions. She would cover these with water and boil them til they were tender, then add butter, salt and pepper. Next she would add the shredded pot roast and simmer this for about 30 minutes to an hour. During this time she would make a pan of homemade cornbread. We all looked forward to eating this. We called this Hash.

I work now and don't have alot of time to start with cooking the pot roast, so I have came up with my own recipe to eat this old time Hash recipe.

6 to 8 potatoes - wash, peel and cut into chunks
1 medium onioin - peel and dice
water
salt
pepper
2 tbsp butter or margarine
2 to 3 cans Libby's Roast Beef with Gravy

5 quart dutch oven (or like Nanny used to - your biggest boiler)
Place potatoes and onions in pot. Add water to be about 3 inches above the potatoes and onions. Cook on high until boiling. Reduce heat, and add salt, pepper and butter. When potatoes and onions are tender, reduce heat to simmer.

Open Roast beef and cut up into smaller pieces. Add this including gravy to boiler. Simmer this for about 30 to 45 minutes.

Corn Bread

2 cups Martha White cornmeal mix
1 1/3 cups Buttermilk
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup water

Mix ingredients together and pour into a baking pan. Lightly grease or spray 8 to 9 inch round baking pan. Cook 450 degrees 20 to 25 minutes.

This Hash recipe can also be made into a homemade soup by adding any kinds of vegetables (can, frozen or fresh).

Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did as kids. I enjoyed the memories while writing this!

Doodlebug

#22 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:52 AM

These all sound so great. I am glad this is working out. Keep them coming.

#23 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:56 PM

bump... KEEP ADDING FOLKS

#24 southernscarlett

southernscarlett

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,046 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (doodlebug @ Oct 26 2006, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I was a kid, on Sunday after Church Dinner, we would have Pot Roast with potatoes, carrots and onions. At the end of the day the potroast that was left over was shredded. Nanny would then peel and cut up some potatoes and onions. She would cover these with water and boil them til they were tender, then add butter, salt and pepper. Next she would add the shredded pot roast and simmer this for about 30 minutes to an hour. During this time she would make a pan of homemade cornbread. We all looked forward to eating this. We called this Hash.

I work now and don't have alot of time to start with cooking the pot roast, so I have came up with my own recipe to eat this old time Hash recipe.

6 to 8 potatoes - wash, peel and cut into chunks
1 medium onioin - peel and dice
water
salt
pepper
2 tbsp butter or margarine
2 to 3 cans Libby's Roast Beef with Gravy
5 quart dutch oven (or like Nanny used to - your biggest boiler)
Place potatoes and onions in pot. Add water to be about 3 inches above the potatoes and onions. Cook on high until boiling. Reduce heat, and add salt, pepper and butter. When potatoes and onions are tender, reduce heat to simmer.

Open Roast beef and cut up into smaller pieces. Add this including gravy to boiler. Simmer this for about 30 to 45 minutes.

Corn Bread

2 cups Martha White cornmeal mix
1 1/3 cups Buttermilk
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup water

Mix ingredients together and pour into a baking pan. Lightly grease or spray 8 to 9 inch round baking pan. Cook 450 degrees 20 to 25 minutes.

This Hash recipe can also be made into a homemade soup by adding any kinds of vegetables (can, frozen or fresh).

Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did as kids. I enjoyed the memories while writing this!

Doodlebug

We had this except we added bell pepper to it. smile.gif
[size="3"] [/size]

#25 southernscarlett

southernscarlett

Super Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,046 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

Ok here you go
Here is a great Cake

Italian Cream Cake to die for

1/2 cups shortening
1 stick of butter
2 cups of sugar
5 egg yokes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teasp of vanilla butternut favoring
2 cups coconut
1/2 cup marashino cherries chopped
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 teas. baking soda
1 cup chopped pecans
5 egg whites
Cream together shortening & butter & suger and egg yolks
add dry ingredients slowly alternating with buttermilk stir in flavoring,coconut,cherries and pecans
Beat egg whites and fold in
Put into greased and floured 3 8' pans or 9x12
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

Icing
1 stick of butter
1 8oz cream cheese
1 cup of pecans
1 box powered suger
1 teas.of butternut flavoring
Beat butter,cream cheese,powered suger, flavoring together untill creamy and fluffy.
[size="3"] [/size]

#26 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:55 PM

bump

#27 St. GTJacket

St. GTJacket

Master of all I Survey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 05:08 PM

THis is one of my quick go-to meals and is a crowd pleaser everytime!

Poppyseed Chicken

You will need:

9 X 13 casserole dish
1.5 lbs chicken, cooked and diced
2 cans cream of mushroom (low sodium, fat free)
16 oz sour cream (Fat free)
2 sleeves of Ritz Crackers
1/2 stick butter (I use a few tbsps of Smart Balance butter)
4 tbsp poppyseeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cook chicken (I cook in a pan in EVOO) and dice. Place chicken in the botom of the casserole dish. Mix cream of mushroom and sourcream together and place on top of chicken. Crumble up Ritz Crackers and mix with melted butter and poppy seeds. Place on top of chicken and wet mixture. Place in oven for about 35 minutes. Just til the crackers turn golden brown.

So delish!
My Webpage

#28 Georgiagirl30132

Georgiagirl30132

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:21 PM

Corn casserole

2 cans cream corn
1 can whole kernel corn
1 box of jiffy cornbread mix
1sm ctn sour cream
3/4 stick of margarine
salt and pepper for taste

Preheat oven 375. Melt butter and pour into casserole dish. In large bowl
mix all ingredients. Pour mixture on top of melted butter into casserole
dish. Bake for 45 Minutes, until top is golden brown and bubbly

Chessy beer fondue, and bread

4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 (12-ounce) bottle lager beer
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cups shredded Cheddar
Cracked Wheat Beer Bread, recipe follows
Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 to 2 minutes while stirring constantly to make a roux. Add beer and bring to slow boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally until mixture thickens to the consistency of heavy cream. Add Worcestershire, mustard and cayenne, stirring thoroughly. Add cheese 1 cup at a time, melting cheese after each addition. Stir fondue until it is smooth. Turn into fondue pot and serve with cubed Cracked Wheat Beer Bread.

Cracked Wheat Beer Bread:
1 (1-pound) box quick-mix cracked wheat-style bread mix
1 (12-ounce) bottle beer
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
Nonstick baking spray
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Follow ingredients on bread mix package substituting beer for the water. Stir chopped thyme into the melted butter, then stir into the bread batter. Pour batter into a loaf pan coated with baking spray. Bake until browned on top and tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then cube for fondue.
Yield: 1 loaf

#29 DONSGIRL

DONSGIRL

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

Seeing the hash recipes reminds me of a meal that my family enjoys and its really easy.

1 can Libby Roast Beef
1 pack of minute rice

Heat the roast beef and cook the pack of rice. Mix it together once its done, add a salad and you've got a quick, good meal in less than 15 minutes.

#30 Georgiagirl30132

Georgiagirl30132

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

Chicken in Lemon Sauce

Makes 8 servings

1/4 cup butter or margarine
4 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts split
2 Tablespoons dry white wine
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt ( I omit this you really don't need it)
1/8 teaspoon pepper ( White)
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese ( or Kraft )
1 cup sliced mushrooms
Red grapes and lemon peel for garnish ( you really don't need it, just eat it)

melt butter in large skillet over medium heat: add chicken. Cook, turning about 10 min
or until chicken is brown and tender.
Remove chicken to ovenproof serving dish, Add wine to the pan you just fried it in,
And then the lemon peel, lemon juice.
cook and stir for one minute on medium heat.
stir in salt and pepper
gradually add cream, stiring constantly, until hot: do not boil
Pour cream over meat and add mushrooms and cheese and broil til it is lightly browned

This is so easy...and I do make double the sauce and put more wine in it. Because its great on rice or noodles or even over a bed of broccoli.

#31 1stimemom

1stimemom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,903 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

One of our favorites is cream of potato soup with mushrooms

4 potatoes; peeled and diced
16 oz. fresh mushrooms, not canned...small diced
1 pint heavy cream
1 carton chicken stock (or homemade)
butter or margarine
self rising flour
pinch of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

boil potatoes until almost cooked through

melt 1-2 TBSP margarine and add about 5-6 TBSP S.R. flour to make a roux
add chicken stock and bring to boil
add potatoes and mushrooms, pinch of nutmeg, and salt and pepper
reduce heat to simmer and add cream
Posted Image

#32 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:54 AM

Anybody have a good beef stew recipe using ground beef instead of chunks of beef stew? I would like to make some for dinner this evening along with some sweet cornbread.

#33 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:58 AM

I also want to add that I have made one of the potato soup recipes on here. My family loves it. I made it the first time, and it was such a hit, they asked me to make it again this weekend. I can't find the recipe on here now to give the OP credit for it, but it is the one that used potaotes, butter, flour, sour cream, velveeta cheese, milk, and bacon. I am taking some of the leftovers to work today for my lunch.

#34 doodlebug

doodlebug

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (DONSGIRL @ Oct 27 2006, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seeing the hash recipes reminds me of a meal that my family enjoys and its really easy.

1 can Libby Roast Beef
1 pack of minute rice

Heat the roast beef and cook the pack of rice. Mix it together once its done, add a salad and you've got a quick, good meal in less than 15 minutes.

My version of this recipe:

2 cans Libbys Roast Beef - open and chop beef into smaller pieces
2 pkg Beef Rice-a-roni

Prepare rice-a-roni according to package. When almost ready add beef with gravy and finish cooking until rice-a-roni is done.

I serve this with garlic bread, green peas, and applesauce.

#35 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE (dallasgirl0618 @ Oct 30 2006, 08:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody have a good beef stew recipe using ground beef instead of chunks of beef stew? I would like to make some for dinner this evening along with some sweet cornbread.

Anybody? I really want some tonight.

#36 Madea

Madea

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,484 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (dallasgirl0618 @ Oct 30 2006, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody? I really want some tonight.

Sorry, mine uses stew meat, and beer.
And for the record, I am not/will not be in any way responsible for your child in any way, shape or form. You had this child, I did not. And if you get to judge me as a person then I get to judge you as a parent. ~Rockysmom (8/11/10)

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson.

Your judgments don't define me, they define you.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

"Justice cannot be for one side alone, but must be for both." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."

#37 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 04:39 PM

bump

#38 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

Anyone have something special they are cooking the family tonight? I am going to the store later and need some ideas.

#39 CreativeOne

CreativeOne

... shamelessly supporting furry ones ...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,491 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:09 PM

not necessarily for tonights dinner ... but do you like chicken or seafood (like scallops, shrimp, clams, or talapia) or beef (type??) .... I have lots that fit "something special" which I try to use often .... give me a clue where you are going and I'll give you a recipe!
Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulette

Click Daily - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com to support animals, breast cancer, literacy, and other causes too! All free to you!

"I believe in animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of the whole human." -- Abraham Lincoln

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)

"Be kind to animals, you never know when you are entertaining angels" - anonymus

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

#40 fitfabandfree

fitfabandfree

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (CreativeOne @ Nov 4 2006, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not necessarily for tonights dinner ... but do you like chicken or seafood (like scallops, shrimp, clams, or talapia) or beef (type??) .... I have lots that fit "something special" which I try to use often .... give me a clue where you are going and I'll give you a recipe!

I am going to Super Walmart on Dallas Hwy. No seafood, but chicken or beef either one.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics