7 replies to this topic

#1 Ellen

Ellen

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 07:48 PM

Tis the season of cucumbers by the bushel basketfull. If you need a recipe to make some great pickles this one is for you.

Enjoy!

Bread and Butter Pickles

4 lbs. 4 to 6 inch cucumbers, cut into thin slices
2 lbs. thinly sliced onions
(about 8 small onions)
1/3 cup canning salt
3 cups vinegar
2 cups sugar
2 talbespoons mustard seed
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons celery seed
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon peppercorns

Combine cucumber and onion slices in a large bowl. Layer with salt and cover with ice cubes. Let stand 1 1/2 hours; drain and rinse. Place remaining ingredients in a large sauce pot and bring to a boil. Add drained cucumbers and onions and return to a boil. Pack hot into jars, leaving 1/4 - inch head space. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath. Yield: about 7 pints
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure if you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Ellen

#2 GaBelle3639

GaBelle3639

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 08:02 PM

Wow. I didn't know anybody still canned, Ellen. Do you remember when the women all used to go up to the Jr.High in the summertime? I think they had some sort of industrial operation set up there or something. I know my Granny would always take her beans and tomatoes. I am tempted to try these pickles, if I knew I could do it without the jars exploding- that happened to my mother once and she hasn't been near a Mason jar since! I do love Bread & Butter pickles, though and EVERYBODY wants to give me cucumbers now. I'd really like some Chow-Chow, too. Got a recipe for that? smile.gif
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.

- Sam Levenson

#3 Ellen

Ellen

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:17 PM

GaBelle

I do remember when they would go to the canning room at the school.

Do you remember the freezer locker in Dallas? It was a building with individual stalls for freezing and storing food for families who did not have a freezer at home.
It stood where the war veterans memorial is now located.

Try this recipe once and you will love it! Make sure the jars are spotless and the pickles are boiling just before you put them into the jars. If you give them that 10 minute boiling water bath you will not have one blow up on you.

I do have a wonderful chow chow recipe and I will dig it out of the files tomorrow. rolleyes.gif

Edited by EllenofDallas, 03 July 2004 - 09:18 PM.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure if you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Ellen

#4 Calhounian

Calhounian

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 09:30 PM

Ellen,
I am assuming you use white/distilled vinegar and not cider vinegar. I have made that mistake before and had some funky tasting dill pickles but you know what assuming does.

Thanks!

#5 GaBelle3639

GaBelle3639

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:04 PM

Ellen, your hair looks great! I will anxiously await the chow-chow recipe as I wade through the pickles. Good question, Calhounian, I might have made the same mistake myself. rolleyes.gif
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it.

- Sam Levenson

#6 Squareroots

Squareroots

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:37 PM

Thanks for the Bread and Butter Pickle recipe, Ellen. I'm going to try it.
One of my favorites of the season is making dill pickles. This is the recipe I use:

Crock Dill Pickles

2 quarts pickling cucumbers
8 bay leaves
1 very large onion, peeled and thinly sliced
8 or more cloves garlic, quartered
8 large fresh heads and stems dill weed
8 small green tomatoes, optional
2 1/2 quarts water
1 cup cider vinegar (5% acidity)
2 teaspoons mustard seed
2 teaspoons pickling spice (remove hot red pepper)
2 teaspoons celery seed
1/2 cup non-iodized pickling salt

Wash cucumbers and place in a 4 quart crock, stainless bowl or jar, along with the bay leaves, onion, garlic and dill. Include the green tomatoes in the mixture if desired.
In a 4 quart saucepan, boil the water, vinegar, mustard seed, pickling spice, celery seed and salt for 2 minutes. Pour vinegar mixture over cucumbers scraping all the spices in too.
Push cucumbers down under the liquid with a weighted plate if necessary. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 3 days and then refrigerate up to 3 months. In addition to the cucumbers, the onion and green tomatoes also make good eating.
Makes about 1 gallon pickles. They make good eating about three days after preparation, but they grow even better in a couple of weeks.

#7 Ellen

Ellen

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 06:30 AM

Thanks Squareroots

I am going to print that one out for the MR. He makes the dills around here. He also has this thing with green tomatoes and jalapeno peppers that I won't even touch, way too hot for me.

Always use white vinegar in pickles unless otherwise stated. I can't imagine how horrible these would taste with cider vinegar. YUK

Going to dig and try to find the chow chow recipe now............ ph34r.gif

Ellen

#8 georgiagammy

georgiagammy

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 08:37 AM

I love hearing the stories about you all were little here in ga i'M AMAZED. I REMEMBER CANNING WHEN I WAS YOUNG NOW THEY USE MASON jars at the roadhouse for glasses and so do we happy 4th I LOVE all the recipes yummy yummy yummy
live for today

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics