33 replies to this topic

#1 Armymom

Armymom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:51 AM

Every Thanksgiving, I get up VERY early to put the turkey in the oven.
This year, Armysis's better-half has offered to do the honors, but he will be frying it instead of roasting it. I've heard once you try a fried turkey, you'll never roast another one.
Do any of you know what the cook time would be? (Ours is a 20 pounder).

Armymom
"May God Bless And Keep Our Sons And Daughters of The Military Safe And In His Care 'Til They Come Home"
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

#2 Luke

Luke

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,056 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:53 AM

I do not know the cook time but I love the fried turkey....I just love turkey tongue.gif
Love heels all wounds in time

#3 HiramGirl

HiramGirl

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:53 AM

Isn't it three minutes per pound?

I will have to say that fried turkey is YUMMY!

QUOTE (armymom @ Nov 22 2005, 08:51 AM)
This year, Armysis's better-half has offered to do the honors, but he will be frying it instead of roasting it. I've heard once you try a fried turkey, you'll never roast another one.

Armymom

Edited by HiramGirl, 22 November 2005 - 08:54 AM.

#4 markdavd

markdavd

Sawdust Creator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,871 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:07 AM

Just make sure he does it on the ground or driveway and not do it on a wooden deck. There are stories every year where the hot oil overflows when the turkey is put in and starts a fire.

That being said - Enjoy it and let us know how it turns out!!
I read recently that "most of today's reporters and journalists are no better than used car salesmen. When they're working, you just know they're lying to you." My first thought is that's an insult to used car salesmen!

#5 Super Girl

Super Girl

whatever

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:14 AM

Fried turkey is sooo much better! I have no idea how to cook it. The only time I have ever cooked for thanksgiving was when I cooked a tofurkey for my sister when she was in her vegetarian phase.

#6 Armymom

Armymom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE (HiramGirl @ Nov 22 2005, 08:53 AM)
Isn't it three minutes per pound? 

I will have to say that fried turkey is YUMMY!

He said he believes it would be about an hour for a 20 pounder, but it's been a couple of years since he's fried one and wasn't completely sure.
Your 3 minutes per would make it about right. THANKS.
Anybody else heard of the 3 minutes per pound????

QUOTE (markdavd @ Nov 22 2005, 09:07 AM)
Just make sure he does it on the ground or driveway and not do it on a wooden deck. There are stories every year where the hot oil overflows when the turkey is put in and starts a  fire.

That being said - Enjoy it and let us know how it turns out!!

Yes, that was one of the things we talked about last night. He said he will be doing it well away from the house.
I'll be sure and let you know how it turned out. I don't know what I'm looking forward to more. The fried turkey itself, or not having to get up so EARLY to pop it in the oven laugh.gif I will miss having that heavenly fragrance of roasting turkey in the house though sad.gif

Armymom
"May God Bless And Keep Our Sons And Daughters of The Military Safe And In His Care 'Til They Come Home"
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

#7 collegegal

collegegal

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,826 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (armymom @ Nov 22 2005, 09:32 AM)
He said he believes it would be about an hour for a 20 pounder, but it's been a couple of years since he's fried one and wasn't completely sure.
  Yes, that was one of the things we talked about last night. He said he will be doing it well away from the house.
  I'll be sure and let you know how it turned out. I don't know what I'm looking forward to more. The fried turkey itself, or not having to get up so EARLY to pop it in the oven laugh.gif  I will miss having that heavenly fragrance of roasting turkey in the house though sad.gif

Armymom

We are actually going to frya turkey and bake a turkey. I am probably the only person on earth that doesn't like fried turkey! blink.gif
We will be eating turkey for weeks!!!!!!!! wink.gif laugh.gif

We have been frying them for years and they are a big hit.

The cook times given sound about like I remember it to take......... It does make things easier on Thanksgiving morning.... smile.gif
Dreams are acheived one goal at a time!

#8 Armymom

Armymom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:11 AM

QUOTE (collegegal @ Nov 22 2005, 09:42 AM)
We are actually going to frya turkey and bake a turkey. I am probably the only person on earth that doesn't like fried turkey!  blink.gif

We have been frying them for years and they are a big hit.

The cook times given sound about like I remember it to take.

Hey Now! Don't do that!!! laugh.gif
I'm open to any and ALL opinions so please tell me why you don't like fried turkey.
I listen to Kim Peterson and he RAVES about basting turkey with wine. He says you can't taste the wine and it makes it EXTREMELY moist and juicy.
Well, a couple of years ago, I decided to give it a try. We don't drink and I was concerned about the taste (I knew cooking would eliminate the alchohol content, so I wasn't worried about that) I spoke to him and he ASSURED me that you won't taste the wine. At first I liked the smell. But after awhile, it got pretty nauseous. Instead of that heavenly roasting turkey fragrance, my house smelled like a winery laugh.gif
As for the taste... Well... I won't be using wine as a baste again.
BUT, judging from the phone calls he gets praising him for his recipe, mine is the only family in the state of Ga. that doesn't like it biggrin.gif
So believe me, I understand about being alone in not liking something.
Please tell!!! Why don't you like Fried Turkey Collegegal??
Armymom

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

#9 Pointyhead

Pointyhead

Mmmm, Doritos!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:22 AM

On the box of peanut oil (you are using peanut oil, right? You should, it's got a higher burn temp, so it won't smoke as bad) it says 3 to 3.5 minutes per pound. I fried 8 turkeys last Friday for a squadron party and I went with 5 minutes per pound on 10-12 pound birds. I'd rather it be a little more done than raw!

Just make sure it's well thawed, and dry. And put it on the skewer and let it sit upright for about 30 minutes to drain any excess moisture out.

Oh, and use lots of Cajun spices!

We'll be up for the holiday, so what time shall I drop in for a sample? laugh.gif

#10 InterestinglyBoring

InterestinglyBoring

Kristi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,812 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (armymom @ Nov 22 2005, 09:32 AM)
  I'll be sure and let you know how it turned out. I don't know what I'm looking forward to more. The fried turkey itself, or not having to get up so EARLY to pop it in the oven laugh.gif  I will miss having that heavenly fragrance of roasting turkey in the house though sad.gif

Armymom

I wanted a fried turkey too, but that's the same thing we said, we want the smell in the house!! lol. Good luck!! You should be able to find the times somewhere online. Try foodnetwork.com. smile.gif
Be happy!! Cheers!! And most of all, Be Safe!!! :)

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE...TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

#11 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:26 AM

You would do better with 2 10 pounders, depending on what you are using to fry them in. They must be turned over once. I generally remove the back bone at least down to the hip joint. I keep it for making stock, and it makes the bird cook a little quicker.

Make sure the bird is completely thawed, and dry.

And don't forget the laws of displacement. That, and the initial flare up is what causes most problems. If you are not sure, test it with water first. Fill the pot with water to where you think you will be "OK", and put the turkey in. If the water comes within 2" or less from the rim you should be OK. 3" would be even better.

If you have enough flame to keep the oil at 350F, it should not take an hour. Closer to 45 minutes.

I like to brine them for 24 hours or more. Mine is going into the brine today. It is a solution made with kosher salt, orange juice, sugar and various spices. It makes the white meat even more juicy.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#12 cardie

cardie

cardie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,688 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (armymom @ Nov 22 2005, 08:51 AM)

Armymom

Forget about the turkey. ohmy.gif I want to know what you meant by "Armysis's better-half"... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

When did that happen ohmy.gif ? Have you told your mother yet? unsure.gif biggrin.gif

#13 InterestinglyBoring

InterestinglyBoring

Kristi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,812 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (surepip @ Nov 22 2005, 10:26 AM)
You would do better with 2 10 pounders, depending on what you are using to fry them in.  They must be turned over once. I generally remove the back bone at least down to the hip joint. I keep it for making stock, and it makes the bird cook a little quicker.

And don't forget the laws of displacement. That, and the initial flare up is what causes most problems. If you are not sure, test it with water first. Fill the pot with water to where you think you will be "OK", and put the turkey in. If the water comes within 2" or less from the rim you should be OK. 3" would be even better.

If you have enough flame to keep the oil at 350F, it should not take an hour. Closer to 45 minutes.

I like to brine them for 24 hours or more. Mine is going into the brine today. It is a solution made with kosher salt, orange juice, sugar and various spices. It makes the white meat even more juicy.

Yum, I'm sneaking to surepip's house!!  ninja.gif

Be happy!! Cheers!! And most of all, Be Safe!!! :)

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE...TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM

#14 Armymom

Armymom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (Pointyhead @ Nov 22 2005, 10:22 AM)
On the box of peanut oil (you are using peanut oil, right? You should, it's got a higher burn temp, so it won't smoke as bad) it says 3 to 3.5 minutes per pound. I fried 8 turkeys last Friday for a squadron party and I went with 5 minutes per pound on 10-12 pound birds. I'd rather it be a little more done than raw!

Just make sure it's well thawed, and dry. And put it on the skewer and let it sit upright for about 30 minutes to drain any excess moisture out.

Oh, and use lots of Cajun spices!
We'll be up for the holiday, so what time shall I drop in for a sample?  laugh.gif

Yes, he asked last night if any of us had any problems with peanuts and peanut oil.
Thanks for the heads up on the thawing and drying!!
We bought the turkey Sunday and it's still frozen solid!! Guess I'll have to put it in cold water off and on until Thursday.

You know you're welcome anytime Pointy!! I'll be sure to keep back a "sample" for you LOL!!!
I think you'll like Armysis's better-half biggrin.gif
He's a Police officer with the City of Atlanta. He's a very nice young man.

Armymom

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

#15 Pointyhead

Pointyhead

Mmmm, Doritos!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:39 AM

QUOTE (armymom @ Nov 22 2005, 10:34 AM)
Yes, he asked last night if any of us had any problems with peanuts and peanut oil.
  Thanks for the heads up on the thawing and drying!!
  We bought the turkey Sunday and it's still frozen solid!! Guess I'll have to put it in cold water off and on until Thursday.
   You know you're welcome anytime Pointy!! I'll be sure to keep back a "sample" for you LOL!!!
  I think you'll like Armysis's better-half biggrin.gif
He's a Police officer with the City of Atlanta. He's a very nice young man.

Armymom

I'm sure I will. My daughter is spending the holiday with her beau and his family in Sarasota. cool.gif If I'm out and about I'll drop by!

#16 1stimemom

1stimemom

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,903 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:44 AM

It is about 2-3 minutes per pound. We fried on Sunday and it was done on the lower end of the time. Remeber also that you can take it out at 165 degrees, cover it up with foil for 15 minutes, and it will finish cooking to 180 degrees. This will prevent it from being overcooked and dry. If you take it out at 180 degrees, it will continue cooking and will go up to 195.
Posted Image

#17 penguin

penguin

I'm cruel but fair

• +Member plus pink
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:45 AM

I had fried turkey once and I like baked turkey better - I thought I was the only one in the world that lol. The reason was - it tasted just like chicken to me - and I love the taste of turkey.

gobble gobble laugh.gif
Speak up for a child - become an advocate for abused and neglected children.
Visit www.casapaulding.org or call 770-505-0065 for more info. on CASA

Paulding Resources & Phone #'s http://www.gafcp.org.....rce Index.mht Copy and paste in fav's[/color]

#18 Armymom

Armymom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:49 AM

QUOTE (surepip @ Nov 22 2005, 10:26 AM)
You would do better with 2 10 pounders, depending on what you are using to fry them in.  They must be turned over once. I generally remove the back bone at least down to the hip joint. I keep it for making stock, and it makes the bird cook a little quicker.

I hadn't thought about displacement. Thanks Surepip!!!
You say 2 10 pounders would be better, will there be a problem with a 20 pounder? What is the largest the fryers will hold??

QUOTE (cardie @ Nov 22 2005, 10:28 AM)
Forget about the turkey. ohmy.gif  I want to know what you meant by "Armysis's better-half"... ohmy.gif  ohmy.gif

When did that happen ohmy.gif ?  Have you told your mother yet? unsure.gif  biggrin.gif

None of your business Nosey!! laugh.gif
j/k Cardie. I know you can't help being nosey biggrin.gif
I called him her "better-half", not meaning they are married, but because they've been together so much lately, you'd THINK they were laugh.gif
You missed your chance to meet him the other day when they brought your wheel chair back.

Armymom

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

#19 Armymom

Armymom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (penguin @ Nov 22 2005, 10:45 AM)
I had fried turkey once and I like baked turkey better - I thought I was the only one in the world that lol.  The reason was - it tasted just like chicken to me - and I love the taste of turkey. 

gobble gobble laugh.gif

I love the turkey taste too!!!

Armymom

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

#20 Smokin

Smokin

Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:59 AM

Don't forget the mayo! take a cup of mayo and mix it with your favorite poultry or cajun seasoning. Then rub it on the outside of the turkey! Before you go saying Ewwww, this is a trick that Emeril reccomends. It works too! It keeps the outside of the turkey from getting so hard you can't eat it! smile.gif
Posted Image

#21 Pointyhead

Pointyhead

Mmmm, Doritos!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE (Smokin @ Nov 22 2005, 10:59 AM)
Don't forget the mayo! take a cup of mayo and mix it with your favorite poultry or cajun seasoning. Then rub it on the outside of the turkey! Before you go saying Ewwww, this is a trick that Emeril reccomends. It works too! It keeps the outside of the turkey from getting so hard you can't eat it!  smile.gif

I heard that butter works well too!

#22 surepip

surepip

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,533 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:03 AM

I have a commercial gas range with 30,000btu burners. I fry mine inside on the range in a VERY large stock pot [I think it is 32 quarts]. With that I can maintain th 350 degrees except for the first 4 or 5 minutes after I put the bird into the oil.

I have to turn mine with serving forks, at chest height though. And that is awkward.

I have found over the years that the big birds are a real bitch to get out, turn around/over, and put back in.

If you are using a turkey fryer with a gizmo that goes inside the bird and allows you to lower and raise them it is not so bad. You are still dealing with lifting out a 20 pound bird inches from 350 degree oil. If you slip and splash... ph34r.gif

I normally buy birds in the 12-13 pound range and may fry several. The smaller birds fry up quicker. I dust mine with flour and spices just like I would with fried chicken.

If you are looking for a bird to sit on the platter and look real pretty, you may not be pleased with the fried as the skin can crack, and draw up on one side. But to us, the taste and juicyness is worth it.

If you are in a crunch for time, you can cut up the turkey just like a chicken: Wishbone, breasts, wings, thights and legs, and fry them. We have done that before also, but you don't get the "Presentation" of placing the whole bird on a platter.
When you think they are ganging up against you....."Illigitimus non es carborundum"

#23 Armymom

Armymom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (surepip @ Nov 22 2005, 11:03 AM)
I have a commercial gas range with 30,000btu burners. I fry mine inside on the range in a VERY large stock pot [I think it is 32 quarts]. With that I can maintain th 350 degrees except for the first 4 or 5 minutes after I put the bird into the oil.

I have to turn mine with serving forks, at chest height though. And that is awkward.

I have found over the years that the big birds are a real bitch to get out, turn around/over, and put back in.

If you are using a turkey fryer with a gizmo that goes inside the bird and allows you to lower and raise them it is not so bad. You are still dealing with lifting out a 20 pound bird inches from 350 degree oil. If you slip and splash... ph34r.gif

I normally buy birds in the 12-13 pound range and may fry several. The smaller birds fry up quicker. I dust mine with flour and spices just like I would with fried chicken.

If you are looking for a bird to sit on the platter and look real pretty, you may not be pleased with the fried as the skin can crack, and draw up on one side. But to us, the taste and juicyness is worth it.

If you are in a crunch for time, you can cut up the turkey just like a chicken: Wishbone, breasts, wings, thights and legs, and fry them. We have done that before also, but you don't get the "Presentation" of placing the whole bird on a platter.

Surepip,
Thank you so much fo your input!
The only thing I know about his fryer is that it's like the ones they show on the news every year with stories of people using them on their decks and starting a MAJOR fire! That had me worried, but he explained about using them away from the house.
I will be sure to mention to him everything you've said.
So it's not going to have this nice golden skin?? Well, as long as it's juicy and delicious, I can live with that.

Armymom

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

#24 Smokin

Smokin

Icon

• +Member plus Orange
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,526 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (armymom @ Nov 22 2005, 11:23 AM)
Surepip,
  Thank you so much fo your input!
The only thing I know about his fryer is that it's like the ones they show on the news every year with stories of people using them on their decks and starting a MAJOR fire! That had me worried, but he explained about using them away from the house.
I will be sure to mention to him everything you've said.
So it's not going to have this nice golden skin?? Well, as long as it's juicy and delicious, I can live with that.
      Armymom

It will if you use the mayo! We tried it last year and wound up frying three on Thanksgiving day for neighbors. They looked golden brown but yet weren't so hard that you could not eat the outside!
Posted Image

#25 Armymom

Armymom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:32 AM

QUOTE (Smokin @ Nov 22 2005, 10:59 AM)
Don't forget the mayo! take a cup of mayo and mix it with your favorite poultry or cajun seasoning. Then rub it on the outside of the turkey! Before you go saying Ewwww, this is a trick that Emeril reccomends. It works too! It keeps the outside of the turkey from getting so hard you can't eat it!  smile.gif

EWWWWWWW!!
j/k Smokin. From what I've heard, no one can beat your cookin'!!!
Thanks for the mayo tip!!
///////////

Hey Pointy, be sure and bring Wendie this time. I'd like to see her again.

Armymom

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

#26 Pointyhead

Pointyhead

Mmmm, Doritos!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,105 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE (armymom @ Nov 22 2005, 11:32 AM)
  Hey Pointy, be sure and bring Wendie this time. I'd like to see her again.

I'll try. She thinks when we come up that she has to spend 100% of the time with her mom. ohmy.gif

#27 Armymom

Armymom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE (Pointyhead @ Nov 22 2005, 11:33 AM)
I'll try. She thinks when we come up that she has to spend 100% of the time with her mom. ohmy.gif

That's very sweet of her to want to spend so much time with her mom.
Well, you tell her she's welcome anytime and that I'd love to see her again. smile.gif

Armymom

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

#28 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,811 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:52 PM

Armymom, that is how we usaully fix our Turkey, but this year i am cooking it in the oven, because i live with deer hunters and they will be hunting.

but it does not take half as long in a deep fryer, then it does in a oven, i think you will like it, let us know.
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#29 blnkts4bittybits

blnkts4bittybits

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,288 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:18 PM

We fry every year. We use the outdoor one that it sounds like you will be using. 3-5 minutes per pound, get the cajun injector marinade - shoot the bird up and drop it in the oil - skin is wonderful - crunch and golden - and inside is moist. I don't add butter or mayo, but I do season the outside with season salt and pepper, nothing fancy. Good luck and let us know what you think!

#30 S~M

S~M

The Nikon Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:31 PM

Adding in my 2 cents biggrin.gif You may want to make sure your turkey fitsin the pot. 20 pounds is a BIG bird and the pot we have is tight with a 15 pounder. Hubby told me to get 14 pounds or under this time.

I will be definately trying the mayo rub this time too, thanks for the tip!

#31 doggies3

doggies3

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 01:42 PM

Hey Armymom!

We invited our next door neighbors for Thanksgiving and they happily accepted. This morning they gave us a present ... they offered to deep fry our turkey for us!!! I'm so excited. I love fried turkey but we just don't go it ourselves!

Oh, and the best news of all!!!! Ryan will be landing at the Atlanta airport on Thursday morning to spend Thanksgiving with us. I haven't seen him since he got back from Iraq! He's stationed in Newport News, VA right now and will be transfered to SAVANNAH, GA in March or April!!! When that happens Tina will be coming too! (She's still in Hawaii!.) My husband is just beside himself! We are so excited!!! Happy Thanksgiving!

SL
~doggies3~
1 "meanie" pin, 1 poodle and 1 Dorkie

Rest in Peace Sadie Mae 2/18/11 I will love you forever Bigun
Rest in Peace Walker 5/31/11 I will love you always Little Man

#32 Armymom

Armymom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (storylady @ Nov 22 2005, 01:42 PM)
Hey Armymom!

We invited our next door neighbors for Thanksgiving and they happily accepted.  This morning they gave us a present ... they offered to deep fry our turkey for us!!!  I'm so excited.  I love fried turkey but we just don't go it ourselves!

Oh, and the best news of all!!!!  Ryan will be landing at the Atlanta airport on Thursday morning to spend Thanksgiving with us.  I haven't seen him since he got back from Iraq!  He's stationed in Newport News, VA right now and will be transfered to SAVANNAH, GA in March or April!!!  When that happens Tina will be coming too! (She's still in Hawaii!.) My husband is just beside himself!  We are so excited!!!  Happy Thanksgiving!

SL

That is WONDERFUL news!!!!!
I am so happy for you. Guess we all know what tops your list of blessings this year!
Give that young man a hug from me. Will you do that?
Also tell him Thank you for me!

Armymom

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

#33 Armymom

Armymom

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (rdstans @ Nov 22 2005, 01:31 PM)
Adding in my 2 cents  biggrin.gif  You may want to make sure your turkey fitsin the pot.  20 pounds is a BIG bird and the pot we have is tight with a 15 pounder.  Hubby told me to get 14 pounds or under this time.

I will be definately trying the mayo rub this time too, thanks for the tip!

Thanks for mentioning that. I had wondered if the pots come in different sizes. I'll have to be sure and mention this to Tom.

Armymom

Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

#34 mrshoward

mrshoward

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,339 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (armymom @ Nov 22 2005, 10:11 AM)
Hey Now! Don't do that!!! laugh.gif
  I'm open to any and ALL opinions so please tell me why you don't like fried turkey.
  I listen to Kim Peterson and he RAVES about basting turkey with wine. He says you can't taste the wine and it makes it EXTREMELY moist and juicy. 
  Well, a couple of years ago, I decided to give it a try. We don't drink and I was concerned about the taste (I knew cooking would eliminate the alchohol content, so I wasn't worried about that) I spoke to him and he ASSURED me that you won't taste the wine.  At first I liked the smell. But after awhile, it got pretty nauseous. Instead of that heavenly roasting turkey fragrance, my house smelled like a winery laugh.gif
As for the taste... Well... I won't be using wine as a baste again.
  BUT, judging from the phone calls he gets praising him for his recipe, mine is the only family in the state of Ga. that doesn't like it biggrin.gif
  So believe me, I understand about being alone in not liking something.
  Please tell!!! Why don't you like Fried Turkey Collegegal??
    Armymom

For the past 10 years we having been using Southern Comfort on the turkey...
(I use 100 proof because the cook likes a little splash in her coca-cola... cool.gif )

After the turkey has been cooking for about an hour,
I melt a stick of butter in a saucepan with 2 cups Southern Comfort
pour it all over the turkey and baste every 30 minutes...

The most beautiful, most delicious turkey ever.... smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

I also use pats of butter and spices up under the skin before placing bird in oven...

A man must be excessively stupid, as well as uncharitable,
who believes that there is no virtue but on his own side, and that there
are not men as honest as himself who may differ from him in political principles.

- Joseph Addison

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics