Paulding.com

Paulding resident Tara Drummond dies in training

Guest publisher

Guest publisher

Tara Drummond first Kennesaw officer to die in line of duty

Paulding.com has learned that Tara Drummond, the 23 year old Kennesaw Police Officer killed in a tragic training accident, was a Paulding County resident.

Member Newhope reports that she is an EPHS graduate and has two younger siblings. Paulding.com has also learned that Officer Drummond is a former employee of the law firm Vinson, Talley, Richardson and Cable.

post-75-1126736824.jpg

According to a story in the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Officer Drummond, 23, was fatally shot in a classroom while attending training to become POST certified in Austell.

The instructor's gun was implicated in the shooting which appears to have been accidental. Officer Drummond was 23.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prayers will be said for this family and for the instructor....

Does anyone know if the instructor is still hospitalized?

He is out of the hospital. From the information I am receiving he is very traumitized over the shooting. I know him personally and know that this is something that will be very, very hard for him to handle. My prayers go out to all those families involved.

Tara Drummond first Kennesaw officer to die in line of duty

Paulding.com has learned that Tara Drummond, the 23 year old Kennesaw Police Officer killed in a tragic training accident, was a Paulding County resident.

Member Newhope reports that she is an EPHS graduate and has two younger siblings.  Paulding.com has also learned that Officer Drummond is a former employee of the law firm Vinson, Talley, Richardson and Cable.

post-75-1126736824.jpg

According to a story in the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Officer Drummond, 23, was fatally shot in a classroom while attending training to become POST certified in Austell.

The instructor's gun was implicated in the shooting which appears to have been accidental. Officer Drummond was 23.

OK, I'll say it: Being accidentally shot in a classroom isn't what I'd call "dying in the line of duty." It's sad, it's tragic, but she didn't die in a shootout or a car chase with the enemies of society. I think to jump through our butts and to climb over each other to honor this person in the light of "ultimate sacrifice--" dying in the line of duty--reduces the recognition of those who really did die violently while protecting others. I genuinely and sincerely appreciate her desire to serve, but we may as well have the same reaction for those officers who have died in car wrecks, while in uniform, but returning home from work.

Well, I am sorry that you feel that way - but she was 3 weeks away for graduating.....at the top of her class by the way....I think your comment is cold hearted at this time. Alot of her friends and family members read this. She was on the payroll, she was an employee of the Kennesaw Police - she deserves the honor...she deserves the honor b/c she had the guts and the nerve to persue what she loved and wanted to do and to project the community....it takes a strong person, and a special type of person persue this type of career! She was also on the job - in uniform - learning how to protect...it was not like she was just riding around town in her off time.

Anytime an officer is killed while on duty, no matter what that duty is at the time, it is in the "Line of Duty."

To say otherwise dilutes the sacrafice of an officer who is killed in an auto (or other type) of accident. Just because an officer's death did not involve a criminal does not make it any less valiant.

Well, I am sorry that you feel that way - but she was 3 weeks away for graduating.....at the top of her class by the way....I think your comment is cold hearted at this time.  Alot of her friends and family members read this.  She was on the payroll, she was an employee of the Kennesaw Police - she deserves the honor...she deserves the honor b/c she had the guts and the nerve to persue what she loved and wanted to do and to project the community....it takes a strong person, and a special type of person persue this type of career!  She was also on the job - in uniform - learning how to protect...it was not like she was just riding around town in her off time.

Well Said.

Anytime an officer is killed while on duty, no matter what that duty is at the time, it is in the "Line of Duty."

To say otherwise dilutes the sacrafice of an officer who is killed in an auto (or other type) of accident. Just because an officer's death did not involve a criminal does not make it any less valiant.

Mark,

Do you really mean what I hilighted in red? Really? Do you mean to tell me that an officer killed in a non-violent, classroom atmosphere dies just as valiantly as an officer killed in a shootout? Come on Mark. That's a silly statement. You're a more reasonable person that that. I know it won't enhance ones popularity to agree with me, but, am I wrong or just a mean and insensitive a-whole?

Personally, I'd rather be thought of as a reasonable person that a nice person.

Well, I am sorry that you feel that way - but she was 3 weeks away for graduating.....at the top of her class by the way....I think your comment is cold hearted at this time.  ...snip...

Cold? Regretibly, yes.

Feel[ing]? Absolutely not--no feeling involved in arriving at my opinion (I'm sure you'll agree with that, but for entirely different reasons.) I am merely commenting on the reality of the situation without regard to my popularity on this board.

She died as a result of a negligent discharge. That's the tragedy. I feel just as badly for the guy and his family who allowed the negligent discharge as I do for the family of the girl who was killed. No. I really do deeply feel sorry for these people. Because I'm not alowing my feelings to form my opinion, well... It sucks to be a resonable person some times.

First off - who gives a crap about your so called "popularity" on this board....that is NOT what the point is about this....For the people who know me, my friends, I am a reasonable person - and very down to earth and sensable. In this situation, however, even though I knew Tara, would not change my opinion that any officer should have full honors...even if it was joe blow do the road, and even if they had just started on their first day of training...they deserve it...they took a chance to put themselves in the "line of fire" so to speak - to get out and protect us and our community...WHAT HAVE YOU DONE? Have you thought about being a police officer or EMT or firefighter? What about an officer that has a desk job, who basically works "behind the scenes" and someone god for bid, comes in and starts shooting....what doyou think he deserves??? NOTHING?????

First off - who gives a crap about your so called "popularity" on this board....

No one. People only care about their own popularity and or the popularity of their friends, family and associates. I don't pretend for a fleeting moment that anyone cares about my opinion or popularity.

...that is NOT what the point is about this....For the people who know me, my friends, I am a reasonable person - and very down to earth and sensable.  In this situation, however, even though I knew Tara, would not change my opinion that any officer should have full honors...even if it was joe blow do the road, and even if they had just started on their first day of training...they deserve it...they took a chance to put themselves in the "line of fire" so to speak - to get out and protect us and our community...WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?  Have you thought about being a police officer or EMT or firefighter?  ...snip...

What have I done? Does it really matter to you right now?

I have thought about being a PO or FF, and it didn't take long to realize I did not want to be either. And for whatever it's worth: I don't know anyone who's been forced to be a PO.

What about an officer that has a desk job, who basically works "behind the scenes" and someone god for bid, comes in and starts shooting....what doyou think he deserves??? NOTHING?????...

Let's see. :unsure: Which is the more violent death? Sitting in a classroom and being fatally wounded by an instructor who allows a negligent discharge, or, sitting in an office and being shot by an intruding criminal? I'm going with the PO who was sitting behind the desk when the gunman came and shot him.

P.S.

(...Not necessarily directed toward you apsmome.) From this point, I must prepare myself to be called a supporter or criminals and or a cop-hater. These conversations usually degrade to that level of discourse when the oddball/a-whole has valid points while being wildly unpopular.

Okay - first off - Tara had a love for Law Enforcement - she wanted to be involved with homicide and solving cases. NO ONE forced her to be a police officer. She died doing what she loved doing....enough said...and I see this topic going down hill very quickly and that is not how it should be left ........and I will bow out here....quietly..which may surprsie a lot of people, b/c I always seem to have the last word. You have your OPINION I have my own opinion...leave it at that...I will remember her as a great, smart, down to earth person...who loved life and that is what is important here.....not how she is honored....I will honor her in my own way.....

Okay -  first off - Tara had a love for Law Enforcement - she wanted to be involved with homicide and solving cases.  NO ONE forced her to be a police officer.  She died doing what she loved doing....enough said...and I see this topic going down hill very quickly and that is not how it should be left ........and I will bow out here....quietly..which may surprsie a lot of people, b/c I always seem to have the last word.  You have your OPINION I have my own opinion...leave it at that...I will remember her as a great, smart, down to earth person...who loved life and that is what is important here.....not how she is honored....I will honor her in my own way.....

Fair. In my opinion, she deserves to be honored for the reasons you cite here, and not because she was "killed in the line of duty." Again in my opinion, that level of honor should be reserved for the POs FFs etc. who die violently while/for protecting others.

Peace apsmome. And sincerely, thanks for putting up with me...I sincerely mean that.

first of all smitty u sound like a cold hearted s.o.b.; secondly i heard on the radio this morning that the "INSTRUCTOR" was a 10 year veteran of training recruits and he forgot to unload his weapon. which as an "INSTRUCTOR" u would think he would remember such a number one rule in teaching, u know him being an "INSTRUCTOR" and all.

i think he should face manslaughter charges my self.

I did not know Tara but my regrets go out to her family and friends, to all the recruits/officers that were in that room that day for this is something they all have to deal with, and to the instructor, who I do know and he is a really really great guy and I'm so sad that this happened to them all.

OK, I'll say it: Being accidentally shot in a classroom isn't what I'd call "dying in the line of duty."  It's sad, it's tragic, but she didn't die in a shootout or a car chase with the enemies of society.  I think to jump through our butts and to climb over each other to honor this person in the light of "ultimate sacrifice--" dying in the line of duty--reduces the recognition of those who really did die violently while protecting others.  I genuinely and sincerely appreciate her desire to serve, but we may as well have the same reaction for those officers who have died in car wrecks, while in uniform, but returning home from work.

Smitty, I have to disagree with you on this. She didn't just talk the talk. She walked the walk. She put on the uniform and was willing and did lay it on the line. While at the academy they are called recruit officers but they are still officers. And while at training she was considered by the city of Kennesaw and any other officer to be on duty. She didn't choose when to pass. God chose this along time ago. She stepped forward and offered up her life for the citizens of Kennesaw and as an old law dog, she is a hero in my book!

I graduated with Tara @ East Paulding in 2000. She was an incredible girl and loved by all. Tara loved the Lord. She will be greatly missed. Praise the Lord she is in Heaven with the Savior she loved so much! The funeral is scheduled at Mount Paran Church of God Saturday at 1pm. Visitation is at Eberhart Funeral home tonight, Thursday, from 6 - 9 pm and tomorrow from 9am -9pm. For those of you who didn't have the fortune of knowing her, she was quite a lady. My prayers go out to her family and friends and the officer involved in the shooting as well as the cadets there.

Edited by MissNatalie
Smitty, I have to disagree with you on this. She didn't just talk the talk. She walked the walk. She put on the uniform and was willing and did lay it on the line. While at the academy they are called recruit officers but they are still officers. And while at training she was considered by the city of Kennesaw and any other officer to be on duty. She didn't choose when to pass. God chose this along time ago. She stepped forward and offered up her life for the citizens of Kennesaw and as an old law dog, she is a hero in my book!

Very well said....

I feel that when she was sent to this training and was consider an employee of the Kennesaw Dept, no matter what her job duty was for that day, if you was on the clock so to speak then she was in the line of duty. She deserves to be remembered that way and those that disagree I am sure you would not feel the same had she been your, daughter, sister, wife, or child.

I have did the honor of knowing Tara, but I have had the honor of knowing her awesome family. Her duty was to become a trained law enforcement officer and while doing that she was killed in the line of duty. Do we not honor the fallen killed by friendly fire?. It might not be your definition of the line of duty but she did her duty and gave the ultimate sacrifice. Regardless of your opinion she could do no more than what she was asked to do. Why dont you find something better to do than attack a young woman whose life is not over.

OK, I'll say it: Being accidentally shot in a classroom isn't what I'd call "dying in the line of duty."  It's sad, it's tragic, but she didn't die in a shootout or a car chase with the enemies of society.  I think to jump through our butts and to climb over each other to honor this person in the light of "ultimate sacrifice--" dying in the line of duty--reduces the recognition of those who really did die violently while protecting others.  I genuinely and sincerely appreciate her desire to serve, but we may as well have the same reaction for those officers who have died in car wrecks, while in uniform, but returning home from work.

I am sorry you feel that way but in a time of mourning it takes a cold hearted person to discredit her for what she was doing.My daughter had worked with this young lady and as apsmom stated they read this.

In a time that all this country is going through to have someone that was putting their life on the line and was killed in a class room of co-workers you could say this.

She was in uniform and she was on payroll and that was part of her job duties to go through training if not for that anyone would have a uniform on and what kind of country would we be living in.

Your comments have saddend some members on this site.

To the family I am sorry for your loss.

Tara was a great friend to all that knew her, I'm glad I got to meet her whatever she was doing she gave it her all.