Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Mrs G

Anyone have a Wi-Fi Booster? Pros & Cons?

Our Ring door bell doesn’t have a good quality pic. I called the “Ring” tech support and was told that our Wi-Fi signal is not good enough to accommodate the good clarity that the Ring requires. Sooooo, I was thinking about a Wi-Fi Booster. What’s your opinions and experiences, with them. Would it really help or do we need to ditch AT & T internet? 

it's possible that is the problem, if the ring is sending HD video ( I think they do) it takes a good bit of bandwidth.  As the wireless signal strength drops, so does the bandwidth it will support.   The type of router you have can contribute as well.  If your is older, it may not support the high speed standards.  

There are several different devices that can do what want.   I found this article interesting: 

WIFI BOOSTERS

I have a problem with this as my UVERSE router is in the basement in the center of the house and both ends have crappy coverage because of that.    

I ended up with the 3rd option in the article, running Cat 5 cable from the UVERSE router to each end of the house and placing an additional router at each point running in bridge mode.    You could just use a true wired extender.  

5 hours ago, The Sound Guy said:

it's possible that is the problem, if the ring is sending HD video ( I think they do) it takes a good bit of bandwidth.  As the wireless signal strength drops, so does the bandwidth it will support.   The type of router you have can contribute as well.  If your is older, it may not support the high speed standards.  

There are several different devices that can do what want.   I found this article interesting: 

WIFI BOOSTERS

I have a problem with this as my UVERSE router is in the basement in the center of the house and both ends have crappy coverage because of that.    

I ended up with the 3rd option in the article, running Cat 5 cable from the UVERSE router to each end of the house and placing an additional router at each point running in bridge mode.    You could just use a true wired extender.  

Thank You, that was a big help. I think we’ll make one more phone call to Ring and then determine how to proceed with this. Thanks Again!  Our WiFi/router box is in our bedroom and there is a wall in between but, it’s less than 10 ft between the two points. Arrrggghhhhh!!

Unless the wall is full of metal, it shouldn't stop it much.    Do the other devices like your PC work OK?   

I'm not familiar with Ring, but if they upload to a server somewhere and you have ATT internet service, your upload may be like ours and *very* limited and that's the problem, not your local wireless.