Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Mrs G

Mandolin Slicers, what's the best?

I'm looking for a Mandolin Slicer but, I don't want just a cheap one, I just want it to be a good one and NOT break the bank. What's your thoughts? 

The answer is what you mean by cheap and not break the bank.

I have 2 and have for years.  Use them both still and work great.

First was from Pampered Chef.  Not cheap for me at the time, but it is good.  Strong, but plastic which has it advantages.  Multiple types of cutting available through slip-in-out type cutters.  Use them for multiple uses.  Do not know of any pampered chef sales person, may need to look at their site for a local salesperson.

Second (believe it or not) from Aldi.  Good, cheaper and still usable.  A little different for the cutters which slip-in-out, and a bit of difference in the slicing thickness.  Hard to find except when they are advertised.

Best would be a mandolin from Williams Sonoma or JCPenny or such, but very expensive with great ability to vary your thickness for slicing but that is all they do.

Think about what you want and if you want more options ......

FYI ... in-laws for years had a meat slicer they used for not just meat but as an powered mandolin.  Creativeness at its best.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CreativeOne said:

The answer is what you mean by cheap and not break the bank.

I have 2 and have for years.  Use them both still and work great.

First was from Pampered Chef.  Not cheap for me at the time, but it is good.  Strong, but plastic which has it advantages.  Multiple types of cutting available through slip-in-out type cutters.  Use them for multiple uses.  Do not know of any pampered chef sales person, may need to look at their site for a local salesperson.

Second (believe it or not) from Aldi.  Good, cheaper and still usable.  A little different for the cutters which slip-in-out, and a bit of difference in the slicing thickness.  Hard to find except when they are advertised.

Best would be a mandolin from Williams Sonoma or JCPenny or such, but very expensive with great ability to vary your thickness for slicing but that is all they do.

Think about what you want and if you want more options ......

FYI ... in-laws for years had a meat slicer they used for not just meat but as an powered mandolin.  Creativeness at its best.

I also, bought one from Aldi's, years ago in Hiram and I wasn't thrilled with it.  I don't recall it having the adjustable thickness, like I want. I can't even tell you where it's located at this moment. Maybe I'll look for it and give it another try. I'm looking on Amazon and at Bed, Bath & Beyond. At least at BB & B, I can use a 20% off coupon! Also, Amazon Prime is Free Shipping!😊 THANKS