yo! ×
Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
Mrs G

Animals in the Grocery Stores.................

ONLY Service Animals are allowed in any store!!  Service Dogs has a legitimate vest, walks by it’s handler/owner and NOT in the shopping cart!! WHY, don’t folks get this??  In Walmart today there was a dog, sitting in the Baby seat of the shopping cart. I asked a Store Manager can’t they ask the Customer to leave and I was informed that they can’t say anything to the customers IF they get past the front door.  That’s a bunch of BULL!! I called Corporate and they said it’s at the discretion of the store manager as to what they let goon in their store! Really?? I told him that was a lame excuse.  “Well, I can’t control what the managers do, I’m just customer Service!” Well, transfer me to someone who COULD,  This is why I don’t shop there!!!  I’ll be calling the Health Department tomorrow. This is getting out of hand. I even seen a Cat in a store, last Saturday. 

A business owner or staff member may ask a customer with an animal if it is a service animal for a disability and what task it performs.  They cannot not ask about the disability and they have documentation proving it to be a service animal.  The ADA is very clear about that.  The store manager at the Walmart you visited probably got tired of asking a long time ago, because the odds are everybody asked said the animal was a service animal, at which point the manager cannot do anything.  I've heard several customers say the animal was their "emotional support" animal.  Clearly a lot of people are now taking their pets with them shopping falsely claiming the pet is a service animal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxmeister said:

A business owner or staff member may ask a customer with an animal if it is a service animal for a disability and what task it performs.  They cannot not ask about the disability and they have documentation proving it to be a service animal.  The ADA is very clear about that.  The store manager at the Walmart you visited probably got tired of asking a long time ago, because the odds are everybody asked said the animal was a service animal, at which point the manager cannot do anything.  I've heard several customers say the animal was their "emotional support" animal.  Clearly a lot of people are now taking their pets with them shopping falsely claiming the pet is a service animal.

maybe they need to issue a tag like Handicap license so they could have proof of service animals? JMO

• Like 1

Real service dogs have certifications issued to the owner.  Owners of service dogs can purchase vests to put on their dogs to identify them as service dogs, but the ADA does not force owners to do so.  Most likely because it will identify to the public the owner has a disability.  You can argue having the dog without a vest in a business that only permits service self-identifies the person with a service dog as having a disability; so why not change the law the dog must wear a service dog vest?  How effective would the law be when anyone can buy such a vest for their dog?  You would then have people buying the vests and patches and putting them on their dog who is not a certified service dog.  Such a law would not prevent people from bringing their pets into businesses with them.

The only thing a business can do is tell a customer to leave if the dog is acting aggressively and shows signs it is not housebroken.  Trained service dogs will not even bark at strangers in public and will not urinate or defecate in a building.

BTW there is no official designation for "service cats."  The ADA recognizes only service dogs.  The DOJ recognizes emotional support animals i.e. cats, guinea pigs etc if the owner has a letter from a mental health provider they must produce stating the animal provides therapeutic support.  This allows that pet to be with them on an airplane at no extra charge.  Georgia's law on service dogs is the same as the ADA.

2 hours ago, Foxmeister said:

Real service dogs have certifications issued to the owner.  Owners of service dogs can purchase vests to put on their dogs to identify them as service dogs, but the ADA does not force owners to do so.  Most likely because it will identify to the public the owner has a disability.  You can argue having the dog without a vest in a business that only permits service self-identifies the person with a service dog as having a disability; so why not change the law the dog must wear a service dog vest?  How effective would the law be when anyone can buy such a vest for their dog?  You would then have people buying the vests and patches and putting them on their dog who is not a certified service dog.  Such a law would not prevent people from bringing their pets into businesses with them.

The only thing a business can do is tell a customer to leave if the dog is acting aggressively and shows signs it is not housebroken.  Trained service dogs will not even bark at strangers in public and will not urinate or defecate in a building.

BTW there is no official designation for "service cats."  The ADA recognizes only service dogs.  The DOJ recognizes emotional support animals i.e. cats, guinea pigs etc if the owner has a letter from a mental health provider they must produce stating the animal provides therapeutic support.  This allows that pet to be with them on an airplane at no extra charge.  Georgia's law on service dogs is the same as the ADA.

yeah...while I am an animal lover I feel like if your going shopping leave your pet at home..Like Mrs G said I have seen all kinds of small dogs riding in a shopping cart up and down the meats and other foods..but I am just a little guy and my opinions don't make any difference to Wal Mart or other stores.

13 minutes ago, Mrskittycat said:

yeah...while I am an animal lover I feel like if your going shopping leave your pet at home..Like Mrs G said I have seen all kinds of small dogs riding in a shopping cart up and down the meats and other foods..but I am just a little guy and my opinions don't make any difference to Wal Mart or other stores.

Here's the problem; store managers are afraid of offending someone and a complaint being lodged against them.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:12 AM, Mrs G said:

ONLY Service Animals are allowed in any store!!  Service Dogs has a legitimate vest, walks by it’s handler/owner and NOT in the shopping cart!! WHY, don’t folks get this??  In Walmart today there was a dog, sitting in the Baby seat of the shopping cart. I asked a Store Manager can’t they ask the Customer to leave and I was informed that they can’t say anything to the customers IF they get past the front door.  That’s a bunch of BULL!! I called Corporate and they said it’s at the discretion of the store manager as to what they let goon in their store! Really?? I told him that was a lame excuse.  “Well, I can’t control what the managers do, I’m just customer Service!” Well, transfer me to someone who COULD,  This is why I don’t shop there!!!  I’ll be calling the Health Department tomorrow. This is getting out of hand. I even seen a Cat in a store, last Saturday. 

Was this at a Paulding Store?

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:44 PM, Mrskittycat said:

:wub:

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:58 PM, Foxmeister said:

Here's the problem; store managers are afraid of offending someone and a complaint being lodged against them.

YEP 

Edited by Caped Crusader
I type SLOWER than I Think (LOL) :-)

1 hour ago, rednekkhikkchikk said:

Maybe a matter to be brought to the attention of the health department?

The health department cannot override the ADA.  The ADA is the law.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:50 AM, Foxmeister said:

Walmart won't even do that!! I was told "IF" they get past the front door, they can't ask the customer "anything!!"  But, the Customer Service (1-800-WAL-MART) said it's at the Managers Discretion whether or not to question the customers.  Sounds like they need to hire the folks who WILL do their job right and not just someone who just walks around , looks busy and turns a blind eye, when they see an animal coming in the door!!!!!!  This world and the Society as a whole, is getting weaker and weaker by the day!!! Letting this slide, letting that slide, even the Justice System is getting slack!!! A perfect example is the man that had been arrested 65 times, the latest arrest were for drug charges.  Yes, they set him a bond but, he didn't have anyone who had the $$ to get him out on bond!!   https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/fulton-county/man-with-65-prior-arrests-gets-bond-after-latest-trip-to-jail/979596061

14 hours ago, Mrs G said:

Walmart won't even do that!! I was told "IF" they get past the front door, they can't ask the customer "anything!!"  But, the Customer Service (1-800-WAL-MART) said it's at the Managers Discretion whether or not to question the customers.  Sounds like they need to hire the folks who WILL do their job right and not just someone who just walks around , looks busy and turns a blind eye, when they see an animal coming in the door!!!!!!  This world and the Society as a whole, is getting weaker and weaker by the day!!! Letting this slide, letting that slide, even the Justice System is getting slack!!! A perfect example is the man that had been arrested 65 times, the latest arrest were for drug charges.  Yes, they set him a bond but, he didn't have anyone who had the $$ to get him out on bond!!   https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/fulton-county/man-with-65-prior-arrests-gets-bond-after-latest-trip-to-jail/979596061

Why is society becoming weaker by the day?  Is it because of a large group of people pushing an agenda that everything must be fair and that there should be an entity that provides the essentials of life for free?  Look at the latest decisions made by Walmart after a shooting.  They made those decisions based out of fear that a group would push for a boycott against them if they didn't.  Business decisions like these are made out of fear of retaliation.

On 9/6/2019 at 5:08 PM, rednekkhikkchikk said:

So these emotional support animals are also covered by the ADA? 

"IF" they are. They still should have on a Service Dog Vest AND walk by the Handler and NOT be in the baby seat of the shopping carts!

2 hours ago, Mrs G said:

"IF" they are. They still should have on a Service Dog Vest AND walk by the Handler and NOT be in the baby seat of the shopping carts!

Service dogs are not required to wear a vest or anything else that identifies them as a service dog, says the ADA.  The ADA does not require service dogs on a leash, nor prohibits them from riding in shopping carts.

On 9/6/2019 at 8:48 AM, Caped Crusader said:

Was this at a Paulding Store?

:wub:

Yes, it was in Hiram! I’ve seen an older lady in Kroger on 278 & 61 with a Pomeranian. She was going out the door when I was going in. The Store Manager said that the Older Lady has been told NOT to be bringing in the dog and she continues to do so. Maybe the Lady needs to be given a Trespassing Notice from the Store and that would Stop Her shenanigans!!!  The Service Dogs/Animals should be required to hold a “certificate “ (for lack of a better word/term) just like a person with a handicap but, it needs to be a placard/certificate that the owner must carry with them at ALL times. The Store Managers/Employees should be granted the right to ask for said placard/certificate when entering or even if they’ve already made their way into a store!!!  Something has got to be done. Otherwise, there will be all kind of animals in the stores!!!  I’ve even seen a lady in Carrollton with a cat on her shoulder, I kid you not!! 

Yes, in Hiram.

4 hours ago, oneijack said:

Can I bring my service alligator? lol

Were you just up @ Sam's in Hram????? :ph34r:

You Know these VAN Stickers....

il_794xN_238167078.jpg

I swear that's what it looked like... Dogs and ALL!!!

but their STORY Truly Spoke to my HEART!

They are Service FAMILY in TRAINING?!?!?

Who knew such a thing EXSISTED!!!!!

Gotta check with OUR Furry Friends @ the county!!!!!!!

Thanks to the Original Poster for starting this THREAD

Let's BAND together to CHANGE our Community one Wagging Tail at a time!

Blessigs My Friends :wub:

I saw a man going into Walmart on a scooter Saturday. He had his service dog with him. He had a special handle and vest on. The dog did not look around at the people wagging and panting. he watched the man and where the man was going intensely. I knew beyond a doubt this dog was working and more than likely cost a lot of money. I knew this dog nor that man wanted my attention, this man was trying to do ordinary things we take for granted with the assistance of a trained professional to do that job. I can not count the times I have been down that my dogs have comforted me. When I walk them in the evening we get compliments on how cute and well behaved they are. Bear, the great Pyr is a neighborhood celebrity. I know that I don't really have the right to expect those things when I go shopping or on a trip, I will have to go without experiencing those good feelings until I get home. Shame on people that take advantage of the privileges bestowed on those that ordinary things are a daily struggle. People that have to save their money for a professionally trained animal to assist them in public.

That’s the way it “should” be! A true Service Dog will be wearing a Service Dog Vest and will be paying attention to it’s handler and not the people around them.  It’s gotten so that I see an animal in a grocery store just about every day.

Hey, It's Paulding County WalMart, be happy they don't bring possums in.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That pony is insane.   I'm sorry, air travel is not a right, there are safety issues in play here.    Can you imagine that pony loose in the cabin if they hit severe turbulence? Of if it had been on the plane that landed in the Hudson?  How you gonna evacuate if this freaking horse is injured and blocking the aisle???

Seems like unforecasted turbulence hits a plane several times a year.  Just in July:

Nearly 40 Air Canada passengers were left injured and traumatized after their flight from Vancouver to Australia took a frightening turn and hit severe turbulence, forcing pilots to make an emergency landing in Hawaii.

Of the 269 passengers and 15 crew members onboard Flight AC33 Thursday, 37 of them experienced injuries from the “un-forecasted and sudden turbulence”, Angela Mah, a spokesperson for Air Canada, confirms to PEOPLE.

Upon landing, 30 of those people were rushed the hospital following the incident, with nine initially listed in serious condition and 21 suffering minor injuries, Hawaiian health officials said in a press conference. Seven others refused treatment at the airport.

As of Thursday evening, however, Mah says that “all people except one passenger have been assessed, treated and released by local hospitals,” but noted that “the last passenger will be released before the end of today.”

That blasted Horse would have killed somebody if it had been on board.   Even big dogs should be blocked unless the dog can be strapped into the seat. 

6 hours ago, The Sound Guy said:

That pony is insane.   I'm sorry, air travel is not a right, there are safety issues in play here.    Can you imagine that pony loose in the cabin if they hit severe turbulence? Of if it had been on the plane that landed in the Hudson?  How you gonna evacuate if this freaking horse is injured and blocking the aisle???

Seems like unforecasted turbulence hits a plane several times a year.  Just in July:

That blasted Horse would have killed somebody if it had been on board.   Even big dogs should be blocked unless the dog can be strapped into the seat. 

What if the horse urinated or took a dump during the flight?  Can you imagine the stench all the passengers would have had to suffer through during the flight?