Paulding.com
juleebella

Don't get thiis place anymore

The other night the power was out here from our area, East Paulding to 61.  Huge area and power was out for hours.  Came back on this site hoping to get some input. but alas....

• Like 1

It appears that is has basically turned into a place for the Team of 9 to communicate with each other instead of using other methods.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, cptlo306 said:

It appears that is has basically turned into a place for the Team of 9 to communicate with each other instead of using other methods.

Not really ...  There is a vision here and you are welcome to help realize that vision.

My vision when I founded the site was to have folks imagine a big bulletin board on the Dallas Square where everyone could post messages and read them.

Then the folks, like some of the group of nine, saw in paulding.com the ability to reach out and help folks.  A lot of the time, pcom was only the organizing nexus, like in the relief sent to the victims of Katrina.

But when it comes to making this place rock, the most the most important part of their task is to inspire you folks to interact. That can be done by investment in news, investment in promotion or just divine acts of kindness that renews hope and progress in a time where such items are in short supply.

And we ought not forget the technical aspects of bringing anything this ambitious back, which is what I understand is the goal of the new management.  The point is that  the software is really capable of lot ... but getting to the point the management can utilize it is the challenge.  They are working on it; they've got full time jobs and they haven't been doing it as long as some people I know.

gpatton

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, juleebella said:

I give up.  Tried to start a new post in the café and it doesn't work.  Good luck and I wish this new site well! 

Top of the page you click the tab that says browse. Just below is forums, click that. You will see internet cafe and a bar at the top right that says start new topic. Click that and a drop down menu will come up. Choose the forum then click outside the box to clear the list and the internet cafe or other forum will show click to continue. I am not sure why you have to click out of the list to set the forum. I have been working on some things like that. We needed to be mobile friendly so that is the reason for the new board. We are learning like everyone else.  I opened  2 tabs of Paulding.com to make sure I navigated exactly. You might want to try that the first time. I am working on stream lining the view because there are multiple ways to view the site. If you click on  forum you get the list view of  what is posted in the forum but not all recent post. If you click recent you get all recent postings in all forums. I want a view list that shows recent topics with all forums showing. If it does not work I am interested in talking by phone to understand what is different in your view so I can fix it. 

On 8/28/2019 at 9:03 PM, cptlo306 said:

cptlo looks like you did a lot of communicating here in the past. What has changed for you? Pm me if you want to chat more private. 

29 minutes ago, Greener_Grass said:

cptlo looks like you did a lot of communicating here in the past. What has changed for you? Pm me if you want to chat more private. 

Well, being banned for a while makes it a little hard to participate. 🤣

Before that, paulding.com, over the last few years, turned into pretty much a place with 3 types of posts: 1) politics  2) drivel from TP and 3) non-discussion type posts (obits, business ads, etc.).

I participated quite heavily in the politics section and, aside from posts from some other specific people (who I won't list here), enjoyed the back and forth about important political topics.

Some will argue the politics section is what caused many people to stop posting in other sections.  I'd argue that it's more likely that the proliferation of social media sites like Facebook and Nextdoor is the cause for the lower amount of traffic here.  This is true of many community-based internet forums and not limited to just paulding.com.

I'll also add that I no longer live in the Paulding area (I now live in east Atlanta) so many of the Paulding-specific posts aren't relevant to me any longer.

• Like 2

Gotcha!  Me being new to Paulding.com I find it more interesting the more I get on here learning about history of Paulding ( the good, bad and the ugly).
There is a politics site here. Politics and religion drive people. I find myself getting tired of facebook and seeing same ole same ole everyday. Seeing the ads that I have talked about 5 mins earlier. I do not need facebook to control what I see. I would love to hear what you think the down fall is going to be for Paulding.com. 

19 minutes ago, Greener_Grass said:

I would love to hear what you think the down fall is going to be for Paulding.com. 

Disclaimer: the following comments are highly subjective but are also based on many years of creating and working on websites.

In my opinion, the 'new' paulding.com looks very unprofessional with many of the graphics in use.  For example, the image to the left of the new politics forum is way too big and looks unprofessional.  Also, the ads are too large especially considering there are three ads on most pages (the ads also look unprofessional, in my opinion).  The forum organization is also less than ideal with most current active forums in one section.

Again, all of these things are subjective so maybe nobody else agrees, but if I were someone that was visiting paulding.com for the first time, I would likely not even bother registering after seeing it.

I'll also add that another thing that hasn't helped in the past is unfair moderation by the mods.  Again, I won't list names, but there is/was a perception that some of the mods in recent years favored posters that agreed with them politically.  Mods should be able to be fair regardless of their own political ideology.  

• Like 3

Those are great suggestions. You were unbanned that should be a positive. Maybe you should inbox the team of 9. I'm sure they would be interested in your thoughts.

Have you looked at the new politics forum?

50 minutes ago, cptlo306 said:

Disclaimer: the following comments are highly subjective but are also based on many years of creating and working on websites.

In my opinion, the 'new' paulding.com looks very unprofessional with many of the graphics in use.  For example, the image to the left of the new politics forum is way too big and looks unprofessional.  Also, the ads are too large especially considering there are three ads on most pages (the ads also look unprofessional, in my opinion).  The forum organization is also less than ideal with most current active forums in one section.

Again, all of these things are subjective so maybe nobody else agrees, but if I were someone that was visiting paulding.com for the first time, I would likely not even bother registering after seeing it.

I'll also add that another thing that hasn't helped in the past is unfair moderation by the mods.  Again, I won't list names, but there is/was a perception that some of the mods in recent years favored posters that agreed with them politically.  Mods should be able to be fair regardless of their own political ideology.  

Happy New Year cptlo306 :yahoo:

Good to see you and thank you for taking the time to type your thoughts.

I agree... it looks NOTHING like the OLD P.com nor does it look like

FaceBook :rolleyes: 

It has been a CHALLENGE to say the least on navigating

the INVISION Board.

Took  6 Months to be able to take $ to GIVE AWAY! :yahoo:

The rest will follow if it is GOD's will. :wub:

One thing that I/WE are HAPPY about is those ADS you spoke of are LOCAL

to PAULDING County  as is the Basis of Paulding.com for Paulding County Residents :wub:

It's a local website owned by LOCAL Paulding Countians and WE all are a work in progress.

We Welcome your INPUT.... pull up a chair :drinks:

• Like 1

I did not know the old way  Paulding.com.looked. I do know life is always moving forward. Can't change the past. And it is always easier to find the fault in things instead of the good.

The politics  pretty much drove me away, and not to mention the new board, I do not like this new board, I have met some wonderful people on this site, and still consider them friends. This site has had it's knock down fights,  and down right ugly. but it has also brought people together in time of needs, we have cried, prayed, laughed with each other and for each other. we have said goodbye to dear friends we have met on here.  but when every comments turns in to something ugly, or an argument, then personally I have a hard time with that.  I always liked the news from the county, but that slowly went away.  I would always come here to see what was happening in paulding.  There is more to life then politics.  and being ugly.  I still visit here from time to time, but not near as much as I use to.  

• Like 2

We are in a ever changing world. Things change even when we do not want them to. The team of 9 is not the old group that were.Paulding.com will one day be that one stop for all info again. I understand people has hurt feelings from the past. Time to move forward . Lady Raider you being on here today means there is hope in this sight. Meaning thank you for not abandoning ship. 

So, Greener_Grass,  what's different in the responses you have above and what I said to you in a series of PM's a month or more ago?  The things that cptlo306 said are pretty much word for word what I told you.   And we two don't even know each other.  

• Like 2

One of the biggest differences will be there will be no bias. The politics will be password protected so there will be a choice to what you want to see and not to see. The people I have chatted with LOVED Paulding.com at one time it was the place to go. Politics got in the way. Time will heal hurt feelings.We are working on a new lay out. Even today talking through the past has gotten people to start healing old wounds. so if we are going to have a discussion? who do you think is going to win the college national championship?