Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
LPPT

Update on Bear

My 160 lb great Pyrenees is down with no obvious pain or distress.

I know he needs a blood test to check organ function. I finally got him to eat and drink. I am putting ice packs to keep him cool but he can not get up. I also need to know if he can get nerve damage in his hip from his weight if anyone knows. Bear is 7 and I know they age rapidly so I am worried about organ failure.

Can a Vet tech come and draw blood to take to the clinic or does a Dr. have to be present?

Bear's paw continued to swell even on antibiotics. I shaved both paws for comparison. The paw got much bigger, It began to swell from the hock down and get hard. I was pretty scared when I made an appt with New Hope animal clinic. The hardness had everyone on edge. The xray however only showed cellulitis. Stronger antibiotics and pain meds were prescribed. We are just so relieved to know it is not fractured or bone cancer. At 160, he lost 9 lbs he can not walk on 3 legs.

Not an expert. My daughter is a vet assistant, I think they need the Dr present. A Vet Tech has gone through the schooling and practicals to get the Vet Tech degree, I think they can take it at any time.

I use a mobile Vet service that the Doctor comes to the house for visits. He supports part of Paulding and West Cobb. PM me if you are interested in that and can send you his name.

• Like 1

Not an expert. My daughter is a vet assistant, I think they need the Dr present. A Vet Tech has gone through the schooling and practicals to get the Vet Tech degree, I think they can take it at any time.

I use a mobile Vet service that the Doctor comes to the house for visits. He supports part of Paulding and West Cobb. PM me if you are interested in that and can send you his name.

Thanks we may have to go that way. Last time it was terrible getting him down the stairs.

He has eaten and is drinking water a goodly amount. I have not left the bedroom where his bed is until now. He stood up a few times and just changed positions. I wrapped his middle to see if he would walk with assistance. Next time he stands I am going to try to get some pads under him. My gut is saying heart failure, I hope I am wrong. :cray: :cray:

Husband got him up, got him moving so we could get a good all over look. His right hock and foot are very swollen and he is limping and walking on his toes. We are hoping he has an abscess that can be treated with antibiotics. I don't think laying on that side all day could cause that. They are instinctual shepherds and don't show pain or sickness until it gets bad.

You mentioned cold pads. Does he seem to be hot?

Not feverish, just in how he suffers in this heat. He does not use a dog bed in the summer months he prefers the cold tile. He will dehydrate just from the panting. We got a lot of water in him over the last 2 hours. We are going to give him a low dose aspirin and a broad spectrum antibiotic until we can get him to the vet. Our living floor is 10 ft up with 12 steps to go up and down. That is why this is a huge deal with a dog this size. Thank you for all the info.

The swelling could be from him laying there so long. Aspirin may cause more swelling as it acts as a blood thinner. Hope hes ok.

Hard to tell. If it is the leg it makes me feel horrible that the pain was so bad it made him vomit and have diarrhea. He goes to the vet first thing in the morning. He is still drinking for now so I feel a lot better about it.

Are you limited on the number of folks you have to help move him? Four folks and a doubled bedsheet can get this move done.

Shout out if you need help.

Are you limited on the number of folks you have to help move him? Four folks and a doubled bedsheet can get this move done.

Shout out if you need help.

Thanks we will. He only had one accident. Soaked 4 fullsize bath towels, The meds they gave him are strong so he is going outside right now, I appreciate the offer because it is a scary challenge when he is down. They picked him up with 3 for the xray but we would need 4 for dead weight.

Please give us an update on Bear. Did he do better over the weekend.

Bear has improved a lot. He is walking a lot better and some of the swelling is down. We are having to feed him well to prevent stomach upset. Fortunately his favorite veggie snacks, raw carrot and raw sweet potato should help with replenishing probiotics in his gut. When he is done we will give him supplements just to be sure. We noticed his pads looked different, as though the thick protective skin had sloughed off. We are wondering if all the debris from fireworks a neighbor did not clean up may have become acidic and eat them off. We never saw a lesion of any type but the vet said there were a lot of small scratches and punctures. We are walking him closer to dark just in case any black top spots might be hot. We are watching careful since we shaved off all the hair on his pad to examine it. His dad is doing a lot of the care, I have had a headache I thought was from the stress bit it is lingering. If you want I can walk you through a name change I am sure people are glad to see you posting and would love an update. Hugs

I have been following this on the sidelines. I knew you and Frank would figure out what the heck was going on with him, one way or another. Glad to hear he is doing better. I know you both are very relieved.

• Like 1

How is Bear doing?

Keeping good positive healing thoughts for him (and you).

He is better every day. He even did his happy twirl after his walk yesterday morning. He still has some swelling and he is still on his pain medication and antibiotic so he is not healed yet. When dogs can do dog things they think they are better. He doesn't jump on the bark it up wagon with the chi's every time the wind blows(could be the pain meds) I will know he is 100% when he starts that again.

How about a cool new pair of booty's ?

HiPaw Breathable Mesh Dog Boots Hot Pavement Nonslip Rubber Sole Paw Protector Summer Medium Large Dog

71QUNOZvbzL._SL1024_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/HiPaw-Breathable-Pavement-Nonslip-Protector/dp/B01HS2M7FI/ref=sr_1_4?crid=G9R0L74Z7CD7&keywords=dog+booties+for+large+dog&qid=1564025698&s=gateway&sprefix=dog+boo%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-4

How about a cool new pair of booty's ?

HiPaw Breathable Mesh Dog Boots Hot Pavement Nonslip Rubber Sole Paw Protector Summer Medium Large Dog

71QUNOZvbzL._SL1024_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/HiPaw-Breathable-Pavement-Nonslip-Protector/dp/B01HS2M7FI/ref=sr_1_4?crid=G9R0L74Z7CD7&keywords=dog+booties+for+large+dog&qid=1564025698&s=gateway&sprefix=dog+boo%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-4

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: They would make Bear :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Watching GMA and they just had a story about a special paint that keeps the paints surface cooler than regular pavement. Hope you liked blue cause that the only color it comes in. :)

• Like 1

Dogs love them..

I always hear the dog asking why you cripple me why why why!!! I think you have to start when they are tiny!!!