Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
The Sound Guy

Could the county support this use of the Airport?

MJC is reporting that a US Military vehicle museum (The Museum of Flight) is considering a move from the Rome Airport to Paulding.

From the Article:

It attracts about 30,000 people a year to it's location in Rome. However, before making a move, museum officials plan to gauge interest from the county’s business and civic communities about supporting the facility; and the general public’s willingness to provide the volunteer labor needed to operate it, O’Hare said.

“We only go where we’re wanted,” he said. “We come with needs.”

O’Hare also said he hoped homeowners near the airport would tolerate the museum’s aircraft, some of which he said is “loud and ugly.”

The museum’s collection includes 26 historic airplanes, as well as military vehicles and a large collection of military memorabilia, said Peter O’Hare, a spokesman for the museum.

It's not supposed to need any support from the county however.

Tibbitts told the Paulding County Airport Authority Wednesday, June 19, the airport would receive the income from a long-term ground lease of about an acre.

It also could see income from a possible lease of office space adjacent to its main hangar which has remained unfinished for years because the airport never leased it, he said.

“We’ll finally have a tenant in that space,” Tibbitts said.

He also said the museum’s working historic aircraft were not produced to be fuel-efficient, which means the museum would need to buy fuel from the airport, Tibbitts said.

Authority member Dan Nolan said he believed “it’s important for taxpayers to realize when you talk about bringing a museum, you’re not talking about supporting the museum financially.”

“One of the best features of the museum is that we have planes that actually fly,” the website stated.

Its airplane collection includes a T-28 “Trojan” Alpha Model, a T-28 “Trojan” Bravo Model, both used in battle during the Vietnam War; and a Beechcraft C-45. Vehicles include a M38A-1 Jeep, the website stated.

“Not only do we provide displays, a vast collection of historic flight and military memorabilia and maintain these planes, the museum also donates to the local children’s hospital.

Full Article

Sounds pretty nice to me, but I wouldn't be under the runway when one of those loud WWII airplanes come in either from shows they go to in other parts of the southeast.

So, any opinions here?

I wonder how many existing complaints were received by the Rome airport about the noise. Any input in that regard?

MJC is reporting that a US Military vehicle museum (The Museum of Flight) is considering a move from the Rome Airport to Paulding.

From the Article:

It's not supposed to need any support from the county however.

Full Article

Sounds pretty nice to me, but I wouldn't be under the runway when one of those loud WWII airplanes come in either from shows they go to in other parts of the southeast.

So, any opinions here?

I read this yesterday in Rome Paper.

Will be interesting to see if the local residents who came up with lots of money to fight noise in previous lawsuits will once again open "their" pocketbooks to save the county from the "loud and ugly" aircraft.

My bet is this never gets off the ground.

Edited by FreeBird
  • Like 1

G :good: :good: D

Afternoon fellow p.commers! :wub: :wub: :wub:

I WISH I HAD THE PROPERTY closer to the AP

so the MUSEUM could store them!

Actually.... I WISH we had the property at 4 corners

of PAULDING to make a public statement/monument

to the WORLD in memory of Flight #242

NOW that is a FIGHT worth FIGHT for!

Caped

:wub: :good: