Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
The Sound Guy

Richland Creek Reservoir

On Sat, I drove past the entrance to the Reservoir and saw signs saying "Tours" pointing towards the dam. I wanted to stop but had a bunch going on.

Turns out they had a "Field Day" with tours of the dam, water building and stuff. Wish I had known ahead of time.

Did anyone get to go? I'm interesting in how its' going since the project is claimed to start supplying water to us within 7 months.

On Sat, I drove past the entrance to the Reservoir and saw signs saying "Tours" pointing towards the dam. I wanted to stop but had a bunch going on.

Turns out they had a "Field Day" with tours of the dam, water building and stuff. Wish I had known ahead of time.

Did anyone get to go? I'm interesting in how its' going since the project is claimed to start supplying water to us within 7 months.

. Lol well they named it right “Richman” they raised my taxes to help pay for it... and I am not a richman lol but we really do need the reservoir.

. Lol well they named it right “Richman” they raised my taxes to help pay for it... and I am not a richman lol but we really do need the reservoir.

It is Richland Creek Reservior

Well, it's closer than I got the first time, I kept wanting to call it the Raccoon Creek Reservoir.

Any way, they keep claiming it's on target to complete in 2019. I don't see how they can finish the dam, get it approved to fill and then fill it during the 6 driest months of the year without "those" people downstream screaming bloody murder that we're taking their water.

We shall see I guess.

61N, just a mile or so past Dabbs Bridge Rd. I think they are supposed to open it for fishing in a few years, that will be nice to have a lake so close.

Now we just need a outdoor public gun range. That way my neighbors can go somewhere just before hunting season and my neighborhood doesn't sound like we are being overrun by the Vietcong.

If you look on the Richland Creek Site they have posted an update video that was done during the tours that were given in late May.

Looks like the Dam will be completely built up in another month or so. It will still need some work on it to cover it with grass and anti-wave covering before they start to fill it.

I was surprised to learn that due to Govt regulations on how quickly the dam can been filled, it will be nearly a year before it is fully filled. They should start the filling later this fall. The first 1/3 will be done as fast as they are allowed to get water from the river. The next 1/3 they can only fill it 2 ft/ week. The last 1/3 they can only fill at 1 ft/week.

Also, if you have visions of fishing from the dam, it's not going to happen as this dam is large enough to be a class 1 dam, like Allatoona, which means for security reasons, the public is not allowed on it. :( Bummer.

They still have a lot of trees to be removed from the reservoir area before the water reaches that area, so if you live up here, expect to see a lot of logging trucks over the winter and into the spring next year. They didn't remove them before to minimize runoff of dirt and water into the work area.

Pretty informative video. I don't know how to embed a video so here is a link to the RCR page that contains the video: Link