Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
juleebella

Anybody reading any good books these days?

Just got my new assigned book for my book club. "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon. I know it has been a huge bestseller, and I believe my son requested it from me years ago. So, anyone reading anything they'd like to talk about? Please folks don't turn this in to a political thing...

I would love to get a really good book title. I picked up A Faint Cold Fear by Karin Slaughter but I havent started reading it yet. I do like this author through, she is along the same lines as Gillian Flynn.

Let us know if you run across any really good ones.

ETA, I read The Good Daughter by Ms. Slaughter, it was pretty good.

Edited by Rocky's Mom

I am always a little behind but I just read Highest Duty by Chesley Sullenberger. Good read gives insight into the background/discipline of a real American hero. It is a if his whole life was leading up to him piloting Flight 1549. I don't read much fiction.

• Like 1

Some readings, but also been listening to some good books!

Seriously, as a long time reader, I was skeptical of how enjoyable it would be to listen to someone read a book, but the Audible team of readers do a great job of making the books come alive. Often if you have the kindle version of a book, you can add the Audible version pretty cheaply. I listen to books now in the car rather than the radio now, it's much more enjoyable and peaceful.

If you like Science Fiction, I highly recommend the Bobiverse series (We are Legion, We are Bob and it's sequels)

For non-fiction, I had Undaunted Courage, the story of Lewis and Clark by Stephen Ambrose (Band of Brothers) recommended to me. As we just spent a week in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons it sounded really good.

Some readings, but also been listening to some good books!

Seriously, as a long time reader, I was skeptical of how enjoyable it would be to listen to someone read a book, but the Audible team of readers do a great job of making the books come alive. Often if you have the kindle version of a book, you can add the Audible version pretty cheaply. I listen to books now in the car rather than the radio now, it's much more enjoyable and peaceful.

If you like Science Fiction, I highly recommend the Bobiverse series (We are Legion, We are Bob and it's sequels)

For non-fiction, I had Undaunted Courage, the story of Lewis and Clark by Stephen Ambrose (Band of Brothers) recommended to me. As we just spent a week in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons it sounded really good.

My son's a huge fan of Audible. He has a long commute to and from work everyday, and that's how he gets his "reading" in.

Re Lewis and Clark, I read an historical fiction novel years ago - Sacagawea, about their expedition. Really good book.

I would love to get a really good book title. I picked up A Faint Cold Fear by Karin Slaughter but I havent started reading it yet. I do like this author through, she is along the same lines as Gillian Flynn.

Let us know if you run across any really good ones.

ETA, I read The Good Daughter by Ms. Slaughter, it was pretty good.

Boss/Friend is a big fan of hers. He was telling me about a book that he just finished called Into The Water by Paula Hawkins. She's the same author who wrote The Girl on the Train. He said this book, for him, was even better.

Boss/Friend is a big fan of hers. He was telling me about a book that he just finished called Into The Water by Paula Hawkins. She's the same author who wrote The Girl on the Train. He said this book, for him, was even better

Last book I read was by Paula Hawkins, "The Girl on the Train". Was good but will look into the suggestion for Into the Water as well as the suggestion of checking out Karin Slaughter.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Just got my new assigned book for my book club. "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon. I know it has been a huge bestseller, and I believe my son requested it from me years ago. So, anyone reading anything they'd like to talk about? Please folks don't turn this in to a political thing...

. I’m reading a book called Orphans of Katrina...it’s about animal rescue after a disaster...some parts are heartbreaking...but so far very worth the read...Also reading Don’t Stop Believing ..Olivia Newton-Johns story also a good one.
  • Like 2