9 replies to this topic

#1 OSU

OSU

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:04 PM

So April is right around the corner and almost time to think about planting a few tomato plants and maybe a few peppers...does anyone on here read the almanac? What does the Spring and Summer look like as far as rain? If its going to be soggy Ill just skip it and buy them...I love home grown tomatos but where we plant if its to wet they dont thrive. Nothing like a thick slice of home grown mater and mayo on some good bread with salt and a little pepper Mmmm!
  • TJB likes this

#2 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 02:41 PM

Yea, I planted tomatoes early two years ago when it was a wet spring.   Lost all the plants completely and I needed to replant all of them. 

• october likes this

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#3 ivylove

ivylove

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 05:01 PM

My suggestion is to get some big planters/containers, and buy the patio variety.  This way you can put them close to the house, and control the drainage better. :)  https://www.almanac....eather-outlook#

Edited by ivylove, 21 March 2019 - 05:03 PM.

Posted Image
Rise above the madness!

************* ONE (1) Death************ WORLDWIDE (Monorail)
vs
In 2003 there were 6,328,000 car accidents (in the US.) There were 2.9 million injuries and 42,643 people were killed in auto accidents.
In 2002, there were an estimated 6,316,000 car accidents in the USA. There were about 2.9 million injuries and 42,815 people were killed in auto accidents in 2002.
etc............ect............ect..............ect...............

Automobiles and their use are responsible for more pollution and other environmental destruction, including the largest share of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, than any other human pursuit in the world. Cars also cause 40,000 human and 400,000,000 animal deaths every year in the US. Cars lead to suburban growth (= natural habitat destruction) and social isolation.

#4 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,126 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:29 PM

My wife wants to try building some raised beds for the garden.  I'm considering it if I can find the time.  Just takes a LOT of dirt to fill them. 

• october likes this

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#5 CreativeOne

CreativeOne

... shamelessly supporting furry ones ...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,478 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:18 AM

My suggestion is to get some big planters/containers, and buy the patio variety.  This way you can put them close to the house, and control the drainage better. :)  https://www.almanac....eather-outlook#

^ we do this with cherry tomatoes.  Do this as well with some peppers such as jalapenos.

The bigger tomatoes go into the garden.  

My wife wants to try building some raised beds for the garden.  I'm considering it if I can find the time.  Just takes a LOT of dirt to fill them. 

We have raised beds in the garden and love them!  Allows us to grow all types of vegetables. 

Once built, they last forever.

Do it even if you start out small with just a couple of beds

• ivylove likes this
Laissez Le Bon Temps Roulette

Click Daily - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com to support animals, breast cancer, literacy, and other causes too! All free to you!

"I believe in animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of the whole human." -- Abraham Lincoln

The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. Frank Herbert (1920 - 1986)

"Be kind to animals, you never know when you are entertaining angels" - anonymus

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened"

#6 october

october

Paulding Com member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 10:40 AM

I have a raised garden just like a plow garden. I grow all veg. I have just enough room as if had a plow garden. As for tomatoes I mix powder milk feed these to mine tomatoes. Outside skin not so hard.

• ivylove likes this

#7 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,792 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:23 PM

we have bought a few plants, but will not put them out until after good friday.

"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#8 ivylove

ivylove

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:44 PM

I have a raised garden just like a plow garden. I grow all veg. I have just enough room as if had a plow garden. As for tomatoes I mix powder milk feed these to mine tomatoes. Outside skin not so hard.

I am going to try your powder milk feed, October.  I actually have some powdered milk packs that are a little outdated, and this seems like a good way to put the to a good use. :) Thanks for posting this!

• october likes this
Posted Image
Rise above the madness!

vs
In 2003 there were 6,328,000 car accidents (in the US.) There were 2.9 million injuries and 42,643 people were killed in auto accidents.
In 2002, there were an estimated 6,316,000 car accidents in the USA. There were about 2.9 million injuries and 42,815 people were killed in auto accidents in 2002.

Automobiles and their use are responsible for more pollution and other environmental destruction, including the largest share of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, than any other human pursuit in the world. Cars also cause 40,000 human and 400,000,000 animal deaths every year in the US. Cars lead to suburban growth (= natural habitat destruction) and social isolation.

#9 ivylove

ivylove

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:48 PM

we have bought a few plants, but will not put them out until after good friday.

We haven't bought any plants yet, but I am anxious to get some.  I love, love, love spring, and can't hardly wait for the temps to get just a little bit warmer.  It is very tempting to want to put them out now, but I know it is much safer to wait a little bit. :)

Posted Image
Rise above the madness!

vs

#10 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,792 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:57 PM

This  is how we plant ours. 

• ivylove likes this
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics