18 replies to this topic

#1 JSC

JSC

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:53 PM

I just decided this morning to boil some sugar water & put out our feeders. (too early I thought)  NOPE

Just now saw one. 

• ivylove and OSU like this

#2 ivylove

ivylove

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

They are really amazing little birds!   :wub: They are my favorite!

• OSU likes this
Posted Image
Rise above the madness!

************* ONE (1) Death************ WORLDWIDE (Monorail)
vs
In 2003 there were 6,328,000 car accidents (in the US.) There were 2.9 million injuries and 42,643 people were killed in auto accidents.
In 2002, there were an estimated 6,316,000 car accidents in the USA. There were about 2.9 million injuries and 42,815 people were killed in auto accidents in 2002.
etc............ect............ect..............ect...............

Automobiles and their use are responsible for more pollution and other environmental destruction, including the largest share of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, than any other human pursuit in the world. Cars also cause 40,000 human and 400,000,000 animal deaths every year in the US. Cars lead to suburban growth (= natural habitat destruction) and social isolation.

#3 JSC

JSC

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 07:58 PM

They are really amazing little birds!   :wub: They are my favorite!

ours too. we once had abt 12 feeders out.we have cut down a bit tho. 

#4 ivylove

ivylove

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 08:02 PM

I am glad to know they are back!  I am going to have to dig around and find mine now.  :give_rose:

Edited by ivylove, 20 March 2019 - 06:12 AM.

Posted Image
Rise above the madness!

vs
In 2003 there were 6,328,000 car accidents (in the US.) There were 2.9 million injuries and 42,643 people were killed in auto accidents.
In 2002, there were an estimated 6,316,000 car accidents in the USA. There were about 2.9 million injuries and 42,815 people were killed in auto accidents in 2002.

Automobiles and their use are responsible for more pollution and other environmental destruction, including the largest share of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming, than any other human pursuit in the world. Cars also cause 40,000 human and 400,000,000 animal deaths every year in the US. Cars lead to suburban growth (= natural habitat destruction) and social isolation.

#5 OSU

OSU

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:31 PM

Yippie!! Does that mean Spring has Sprung?...or will the little fellers flutter around with ice on their wings?..who do we call to de ice a hummer? Hmmm and will the nectar freeze ? Do hummers like pop cycles?...ok ok now that I got that all out...I’m glad the little hummers are back..they are one of my favorite birds too...but dont tell the other birds I said that..they might retaliate (got to remember to park in the garage) ...but on the serious side we always feed the birds we have many feeders out,and I have noticed that a lot of the birds that have been scarce during the winter are coming back...love this time of the year!
  • ivylove likes this

#6 JSC

JSC

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:57 PM

Yippie!! Does that mean Spring has Sprung?...or will the little fellers flutter around with ice on their wings?..who do we call to de ice a hummer? Hmmm and will the nectar freeze ? Do hummers like pop cycles?...ok ok now that I got that all out...I’m glad the little hummers are back..they are one of my favorite birds too...but dont tell the other birds I said that..they might retaliate (got to remember to park in the garage) ...but on the serious side we always feed the birds we have many feeders out,and I have noticed that a lot of the birds that have been scarce during the winter are coming back...love this time of the year!

we feed birds all year long & different birds come at different times of the year, I have an album of pictures, so many different kinds of birds. But we love the hummers. I have actually seen pictures that were posted of snow on the ground & a hummer was at the feeder. (not sure what state)

• ivylove, OSU and october like this

#7 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,792 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 05:20 PM

i seen my first hummer saturday. already have my feed out.. 

• ivylove likes this
"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#8 rednekkhikkchikk

rednekkhikkchikk

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 02:57 PM

I have a Dutch door in my kitchen and open the bottom half in the mornings before work so my dog can go in and out as she pleases.  The past week or so, what appears to be the same little bird flies in, alights on the top of my cabinets, and flies right back out as soon as it hears me coming in that direction. 

May not be the same bird, but it looks the same and goes right to the same spot every time.  I think it has come inside 5 times so far, but the first time I didn't get a good look so may have been a totally different bird.

And of course the dog either doesn't see or isn't interested.  She hasn't so much as batted an eye at it...

• fire911, JSC and ivylove like this
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion". - Sir Francis Bacon

"The mystery of government is not how Washington works but how to make it stop". -P. J. O'Rourke

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." ~Frank Zappa

"All persons ought to endeavor to follow what is right, and not what is established." -Aristotle

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another, and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him." -Thomas Jefferson

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority." -Noah Webster

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking". - AA Milne

#9 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,857 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 01:55 PM

I have a Dutch door in my kitchen and open the bottom half in the mornings before work so my dog can go in and out as she pleases.  The past week or so, what appears to be the same little bird flies in, alights on the top of my cabinets, and flies right back out as soon as it hears me coming in that direction. 

May not be the same bird, but it looks the same and goes right to the same spot every time.  I think it has come inside 5 times so far, but the first time I didn't get a good look so may have been a totally different bird.

And of course the dog either doesn't see or isn't interested.  She hasn't so much as batted an eye at it...

Sounds like somebody may be looking for a place to nest.

• The Sound Guy and rednekkhikkchikk like this

#10 Lady Raider

Lady Raider

Super Icon

• +MPS extra
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77,792 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 05:51 PM

They are coming more and more, they should start sowing up good now with the weather getting warmer. 

"The most dangerous place in the world to be is "Between a Mother and her Child"

Posted Image

In Loving Memory of My Daddy and Mama
3-29-08
and 10-24-2012

*say what you mean, and mean what you say*

#11 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 08:19 PM

Had the feeders out for a week now.  No hummers.    Bummers.

• october likes this

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#12 JSC

JSC

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 11:05 PM

Had the feeders out for a week now.  No hummers.    Bummers.

they will come, probably have been & you just missed them.

#13 juleebella

juleebella

Super Icon

• +Member Plus Black
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,857 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 03:40 PM

They are coming more and more, they should start sowing up good now with the weather getting warmer.

Husband made a bird house last year and this year we have birds nesting in it which is so great But I'm very sad that the swifts are not here this year.

#14 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:42 PM

they will come, probably have been & you just missed them.

Hope so... it's really neat to watch them "guard" the feeder from the other hummers.

The only problem with quotes on the internet is that you can't authenticate them -- Abraham Lincoln

DISCLAIMER: The information and opinions expressed in this post are not necessarily the opinions of the author and may be denied or disregarded at a later date. Reading of this paragraph constitutes as agreement on part of reader not to hold author responsible for any damaging effects resulting from reading and agreeing with anything said in this post; furthermore reader waives all future claims resulting from changes in law which may render this disclaimer null and void. This disclaimer is valid in all states with the exception of those states which have laws forbidding the existence of this disclaimer, and in states where such laws exist the reader agrees to read this disclaimer in a state where this disclaimer is binding.

#15 ivylove

ivylove

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 08:10 PM

Edited by ivylove, 09 April 2019 - 08:15 PM.

Posted Image
Rise above the madness!

vs

#16 Stonewall

Stonewall

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 05:10 AM

I put out a feeder last week. Yesterday at least one male was back. Good to see my little friends back from their winter travels.

• Rocky's Mom likes this

#17 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:02 AM

Finally had a hummer show up the other morning!  Hopefully we get a few more to show up.  

#18 JSC

JSC

Icon

• +Member plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:35 AM

Finally had a hummer show up the other morning!  Hopefully we get a few more to show up.  

Seems like mine have left. 

#19 The Sound Guy

The Sound Guy

Super Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,148 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:18 AM

Seems like mine have left. 

They are not there often, I think it's just one or two.    They may be too busy nest building to hang around guarding the feeder this early. 

• JSC likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics