Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
rockysmom

So......let me ask you something

Car batteries! Had to replace my trucks battery. So, got it done brought it home and didnt drive it for two weeks, or so. Got in it Friday am and the truck would not start because the battery was dead. We had several below freezing times,Thursday pm as well as Friday am was below freezing as well. Got it jumped off and everything was fine.

Now, Ive been told that this is fairly common but Ive also been told that it may have been because the new battery has a bad cell.

What has your experience been? Thanks for any input. :)

Edited by Rocky's Mom

If it had been sitting on the shelf for awhile prior to you getting it, it could have been largely discharged, and your drive home, if short wouldn't have been far enough to charge it. I always put a charger on new batteries after installing them to make sure it starts out with a full charge. Sitting in a state of partial discharge is bad for them.

A battery that is mostly discharged can actually freeze if it gets cold enough, and freezing can damage the plates. So yes, it's possible that your battery could have sustained some damage due to the circumstances.

I would go back to who sold you the battery and at least have it load tested. They put a gizmo on it that has giant resisters built in that will simulate a heavy load condition, and under a heavy load is the only good way to accurately test a battery. If it reads anything less than perfect, they need to replace it.

A new battery should have a 36 to 48 month warranty you have plenty of time to find out if it's a lemon.

Yup. Got that. I was just looking to confirm if this is an ordinary occurrence.

BTW...if your vehicle regularly sits for periods of time, you might consider a trickle charger or Battery Tender to put on it and keep it plugged in during those periods.

All modern automobiles slowly draw on the battery even when parked. The radio, computers, etc need a slight but constant power feed to them to hold the memories.

Here are some popular ones

http://products.batterytender.com/Chargers/