Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
JSC

unwanted phone calls

I usually do not answer calls that I dont know. I did just now & they said "I see that you are interested in......"

I only looked at an item (walk in tubs to be exact) I didnt sign up for phone calls or email. So... how did they know I even looked at it?

Looked at them where? On line? If so then it's probably cookies on your system. If it was in person, you might want to turn off location on your phone. And maybe look at your app permissions if this kinda thing worries you. Does me.

• Like 1

Looked at them where? On line? If so then it's probably cookies on your system. If it was in person, you might want to turn off location on your phone. And maybe look at your app permissions if this kinda thing worries you. Does me.

It was online. Googled from my laptop. not my phone. & I just got my 1st smartphone few weeks ago & 1st thing I done was turn off location. lol

• Like 2

Yeah more than once I have had ads on FB related to conversations we have had in the office. Personally, I don't like that stuff at all. And I am starting to think it is stupid to throw so much money at problems that could easily be solved by simply not using computers for everything under the sun or putting screens and entertainment systems in vehicles and most of all, not carrying one around in your pocket all the time.

Now, even though I have turned off as much of my activity on google as possible, whatever can't be turned off seems to be synching my phone to my WORK computer. Definitely not cool.

Edited by rednekkhikkchikk

Yeah more than once I have had ads on FB related to conversations we have had in the office. Personally, I don't like that stuff at all. And I am starting to think it is stupid to throw so much money at problems that could easily be solved by simply not using computers for everything under the sun or putting screens and entertainment systems in vehicles and most of all, not carrying one around in your pocket all the time.

Now, even though I have turned off as much of my activity on google as possible, whatever can't be turned off seems to be synching my phone to my WORK computer. Definitely not cool.

I'm not familiar with synching but I am sure there is a way somehow to get it from your work computer.

I was negligent in my reply, but the additional posts kinda points up the link. Notice the one word in both rnc's and the op's posts. Google. Once you give Google your info, it's off to the races. Every device you use, on which you are signed in to Google, is going to result in all that going into the little "you" file on their server.

Unless you uncouple from them, and Amazon, eBay, etc., etc.; entirely there's no more getting away from it to some degree.

The Unabomber was ahead of his time maybe. And then there's the whole "bomb" thing. Thats a problem.

Edited by Blunt Trauma

This whole system has me spooked I am truly ready to lose FB the only reason I go there is I love cats and belong to a couple groups for info and trading stories but really don't like the feeling i might be tracked..But I receive no less then 10 robo calls a day from anything from Pain relief to SS suspending my ss card lol I never answer a call that I don't know but they leave messages...even on my cell!

A couple or 3 years ago I changed my voice mail greeting to say “I don’t answer calls from numbers I don’t recognize. If you want a return call, leave a message”. When I see a call coming in from a number I don’t recognize, I touch the volume button which silences my ringer. This has greatly reduced the number of unwanted calls I get.

• Like 3

A couple or 3 years ago I changed my voice mail greeting to say “I don’t answer calls from numbers I don’t recognize. If you want a return call, leave a message”. When I see a call coming in from a number I don’t recognize, I touch the volume button which silences my ringer. This has greatly reduced the number of unwanted calls I get.

I silence the ringer also.

I recently bought new cordless phones with the number-blocking feature for my parents. They are happy with their new phones.

I must say it is nice not having to listen to my mother complaining about getting all the unwanted calls. :)

• Like 1

I recently bought new cordless phones with the number-blocking feature for my parents. They are happy with their new phones.I must say it is nice not having to listen to my mother complaining about getting all the unwanted calls. :)

. My phones have that option too,but those scamming callers just use another number..I’ve received calls showing it’s our pharmacy...bank..and other places we deal with and when we answer them they try to lower our interest rates..or tell us something we need to know about Medicare ...or braces for pain. It’s maddening.
  • Like 1

If you're willing to kind of "start over", there's a solution. I've done this before here but it's been awhile. Note this will have limited to no success if you keep your current number(s).

There are several ways to get a phone number for next to nothing per month. Mostly VOIP services. Acquire one and this will be the number you use for any and all purposes that might lead to the number being put into a database and sold. So all forms, references, call backs, the bank, credit cards, etc., anything but a private individual that you want to hear from right away when they call, The vast majority of the trash calls that you get will not leave a message when they get a message service. Everything else that does leave a message will immediately send a notification to your new private cell number. Usually including a text rendering of the message received.

You are still going to get some trash calls that are just bots dialing every number in an exchange, but your life will be WAY quieter over all.

As a hopefully helpful note, right now those bots are calling through an exchange using a spoofed number from within that exchange. So the prefix of a lot of the junk calls will tend to come from your same prefix. ie. my cell starts 770-366, so most of the robo's I get are from 770-366.

• Like 2

I get so many "unknow name" or caller ID just says "toll free number". I never answer them. Well, today I encountered a problem with my debit card & called the bank to see why it wasn't working. Seems the put a freeze on my acct because they caught a fraud alert, 8 days ago. I wondered why they didn't call to tell me. So I checked caller ID & they did call, but they didn't leave a message. It only showed as "toll free number". the dates were right , so I called that number & yes it was my bank fraudulent service. So what do ya do?

• Like 1

I get so many "unknow name" or caller ID just says "toll free number". I never answer them. Well, today I encountered a problem with my debit card & called the bank to see why it wasn't working. Seems the put a freeze on my acct because they caught a fraud alert, 8 days ago. I wondered why they didn't call to tell me. So I checked caller ID & they did call, but they didn't leave a message. It only showed as "toll free number". the dates were right , so I called that number & yes it was my bank fraudulent service. So what do ya do?

Maybe, go into your account and set this particular alert to go to your email and/or text alerts to your cell. 3 hits, one behind the other, ought to get your attention. Nothings perfect.

Maybe, go into your account and set this particular alert to go to your email and/or text alerts to your cell. 3 hits, one behind the other, ought to get your attention. Nothings perfect.

HHMMM I'll see if I can figure out how to do that.

Wish I could help you out with that, but I'm kind of a "hunt and poke" problem solver. Just get in there and really root around until the issue at hand is resolved. ...............................................And I testified to that at the divorce when asked what I was doing at the neighbors. Problem solving.

On the credit card website, possibly in your settings or profile section, there should be a place to set alerts. Then you can pick and choose what you want to receive notifications for and how to receive them. Just look for alerts or notifications.

• Like 1