Paulding.com
Sign in to follow this  
mimosaflower

Person hit by Train in Hiram?

HIRAM, Ga. — Fire officials say a railroad crossing has been shut down after a man was hit by a freight train in Paulding County.

According to Fire Captain Steven Mapes, the accident happened around 5:30 p.m. when the victim apparently stepped onto the tracks near Main Street in downtown Hiram.

The overpass of Highway 92 has also been impacted by the crash as onlookers slow traffic. Norfolk Southern police have been called to the scene to conduct an investigation. It's still unclear why the victim was on the tracks in the first place or if they were aware of the oncoming train.

11-Alive

Too many people don't understand how quiet a train can be if you are distracted and facing the wrong way on the tracks, or worse yet, are wearing headphones. NEVER walk on the tracks. Period. Please.

The Engineers and Conductors do NOT want to be last people to see you alive.

EDITED to add:

Also, be aware that more and more cities are insisting that they become "No Horn Zones" where the trains are not allowed to blow their warning horns in the area. Powder Springs and Acworth have both done this. Not sure if Hiram is this way or not. You cannot count on the horns warning you thanks to your local governments.

• Like 1

Can't remember exactly, but sometime around 70, give or take a year, daddy got hit backing a tractor trailer across those tracks.

But stepping into the path of a train kinda increases the percentage for an intentional act. Don't know, just sayin'.

I don't know any details about the accident, but the person killed was a friend of a friend. I have not seen him in almost 20 years. He was always polite and pleasant, and as I recall he was a fairly talented artist. I sure hated to hear this news.

Did they ever say what happened here? How old was the person & did they give a name?

I saw it on the news few days ago, very briefly, but didnt tell us anything.

Fount this expanded Story on The Patch

HIRAM, GA — A homeless man was struck and killed by a train Saturday at 5:35 p.m. at the railroad crossing on Main Street and Railroad Street in Hiram.

Witnesses told police that they saw Richard Brandon McMichael, 40, walk onto the train tracks and be hit by the train that could not stop.
"We don't know why he walked onto the track," said Hiram Police Chief Jamison Sailors. "Officers that have worked here for 10 years or more have never seen anything like that happen before."
The two train conductors told police they saw McMichael jogging towards the track prior to the accident, according to the police report.
Sailors said McMichael was living in a tent in the woods near Nebo Road.
Sailors said there wasn't anything suspicious about the accident and no autopsy will be performed and no further investigation is expected.

I will note it's not two conductors on the train, it's an Engineer, the guy in charge of driving it, and the Conductor, who is responsible for the operation of it. Reporters can be so lazy sometimes....

• Like 1

He would have been 41 in April. I had forgotten that our birthdays were not even a week apart til I read his obituary. This whole incident has really weighed on me. He was just a nice guy and the whole thing is very sad.