5 replies to this topic

#1 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:59 PM

There's been several discussions about looking for a tree cutter with no resolutions that I've seen. And folks asking for recommendations if anybody found one. I looked one up and called. They were finishing up for the day in Hiram somewhere (he's local) said they'd be here in an hour, and beat that time. Looked at the three trees (1 gotta, 1 shoulda, 1 wanta) and shot me a price. We agreed on a number and they estimate next thursday for the work. We'll see and I'll say.

• The Sound Guy and rednekkhikkchikk like this
Son, don't throw rocks at your Grandma, 'cause she's to old to dodge 'em. - My Dad 1966

#2 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 06:59 PM

Hope it all works out for ya.
"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#3 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 01:33 PM

Well it's next Thursday. Here we go, the entire experience, albeit entirely from my point of view. If you don't want the whole thing then skip to the last paragraph for the verdict.

The first contact is in the first post. The second contact was yesterday evening about 6:30. The wife of the couple who run the business called to remind me that they would be here the next morning. I had been told that they would call the day before they came. And I had held off going to the bank yesterday just due to the expected weather, figuring that it would set them back a day or two and because I didn't hear from them during the day. I had it in mind to pay in cash which is something I always try to do with local tradesmen. They're ALWAYS happy to come back, maybe a little quicker than for somebody else. Being bad to ramble, I just mentioned that I'd hoped to do that. She apologized (which I truly wasn't looking for, just an old man rambling) and explained that she was caring for her elderly sick father all day. Being as how I'd really like for there to be somebody to do that for me in a few years (they're ain't), I'm fully behind her on that one. She was polite and professional, but you could hear the stress in her voice. All I can say is bless her, it's gotta be tough.

So they came at the tail end of the time frame she gave, as cold as it was this morning I don't blame them. Unloaded and went to work. They did bring a tracked bobcat when he said he'd bring the pnuematic tired one. That's' an "in the weeds" detail that makes a slight difference, but with cautious use it won't matter..He also had what he called a throwing ball. I'd call the dang thing magic. I've watched a pile of rednecks trying to throw a rope into a tree for a pile of hours over my life. This man threw that ball three times while he was here. He had three trees to cut. Each time was better than 50' up the tree. Dang magic I tell ya.

First was a 75' dead pine that was compressed due to bug damage and twisted 7' up the tree, branches loaded to the house side. Rope in tree run through a pulley about 45' out and tied to the bobcat. Tension on the rope and the saw goes in the tree. Seconds later the tree starts down and ends up a leaner held up by two little trees that you'd figure it would just fall through. Being dead it didn't have the mass or speed. Anyway, when that happens there's only one way to bring it down with a saw, that is to cut the base out of it and hope that levers it down through the trees holding it. It's a dangerous cut to make as your sawing under and already felled tree. Also, if you saw the base out of it enough times the tree will become a pendulum that falls backwards from the direction your cutting it. A friend brought down my power lines just like that one day. He cut it three more times without it falling and did the same thing I'd have done, cussed under his breath and kicked his rope spool. About 30 seconds later the bobcat pushed the tree down. That's just a little messier to clean up as it causes a little ground disturbance. Anyway, The stump is sawed close to flush with the ground, tree and branches cleaned up, ground disturbance raked out and area blown off.

Second was a 100' huge live pine  with no branches for 60' and then very large ones the rest of the way up, 80% of which were pointed to the house with a slight over all lean that direction. I'm fairly sure it was hit by lightening as some point. Starting about 4' up to about 8' on the tree about a 45 degree angle from the house the side of the tree looks as if it had exploded from the inside. Debarked on that side 20' up the trunk. Same set up with rigging and down right were intended. The agreement was down it, cut it back to the edge of the woods and leave it. 

Last was a 30' oak that was in great shape, (see separate topic for free fire wood offer) but were it was couldn't have been any bigger pain in the wellllll, lets move on. One branch on the house side of the tree had gotten just shy of as big around as the trunk, so its weighted that direction. Somewhat shorter rigging, same process. It tried to fall towards the house when it came loose from the stump, which will tighten your innards up folks, but the rigging caught it and the bobcat was able to back up and pull it down the right way. Only real excitement of the whole operation.

Being completely honest, on the last two I would have preferred them to cut back the trunks a little more. But that's on me for not spelling that out. Those were a "down and leave it" agreement. It just means I'm going to have to make about a dozen extras cuts with my saw, not that big a deal in the overall number. All the stumps are close to flush. Couldn't be happier with everything else. Pretty much did exactly what they said they'd do, exactly when they said they'd do it. In under 2 hours which is amazing. It would have taken me 2 weeks and probably at least one tree on the house. As for the money, I had a number in my head that was about the best number I expected to get. There was a number that I actually reasonably expected, and one for the top end of what I'd even consider. His initial price came in 33% above my best number and a little less than 20% below the reasonably expected number. The eventual price was 17% above my best and 30% below the reasonably expected. So that's happiness right there. If you want exact numbers, PM me and I'll give them. I'll say the same for the name of the company unless somebody tells me I can include it here.

Local folks doing a good job, absolutely recommended.

• The Sound Guy, Fluffy and october like this
Son, don't throw rocks at your Grandma, 'cause she's to old to dodge 'em. - My Dad 1966

#4 Rocky's Mom

Rocky's Mom

Rockysmom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,512 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 03:54 PM

Thank you Bllunt Trama.....really enjoyed your story.

I happen to know the fellow that does our trees and has for decades. Great, salt of the earth kinda guy. Best I can tell, if the trees or the saw doesnt get you, just the abuse you put on your body, will.

Edited by Rocky's Mom, 31 January 2019 - 06:31 PM.

"There comes a time in your life, when you walk away from all the drama and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who make you laugh. Forget the bad, and focus on the good. Love the people who treat you right, pray for the ones who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down is a part of life, getting back up is living."

#5 PUBBY

PUBBY

Super Icon

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,626 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 02:21 AM

Nice story Blunt Trauma. I feel cheated not knowing who it was you called so go ahead and say it. 

I will say a lot of the so-called rules of yesteryear were exaggerated and you could always name a person or business you did business with.  We were a bit more concerned when stylish hyper-links to the business web site with an animated telephone number for non-business members..

pubby.

#6 Blunt Trauma

Blunt Trauma

Icon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:18 AM

Duren Tree Service 404-429-6071
Out of Powder Springs. 25 years in business. Son having now taken over for the father.
That last part is what might make you nervous. There's been so many disscussions about local businesses taken over by the children and you can't deal with them anymore. I don't know this man's father. But if he's any better of a man, he must be really something.

Edited by Blunt Trauma, 02 February 2019 - 09:31 AM.

• The Sound Guy and october like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Topics Recent Topics